[comp.sources.games.bugs] larn12.2

t_pascal@oxy.edu (Clarence Regis Wilson) (12/30/90)

Hi.  I have just compiled the larn dungeon adventure game.  I have no
problems with it except for one small, teeny problem.

Every time I use the '?' command to get the help screen, the program
gives an error message just before the last page of the help screen:

Larn - Panic! Signal 11 recieved [SIGSEV]

  And if I press the space bar to see the last page, the core is dumped.
I know that I should know enought UN*X to know what signal 11 is and
where it should occur in the code, but I've just begun this sort of
thing, so forgive me.  Anyone think they can help?  I don't want to
give this program public access if it dumps core and reveals the secret
directory (i.e., LARNHOME).

By The Way (BTW, don't you hate it?) I am running Larn on

 Sun 3/60  SunOS 4.0

Any and all help is appreciated.  (smooch)

One more thing:  If you could not reply, but send directly to
t_pascal@bobcat.oxy.edu, you will have less chance of bouncing or
delay.

	   T. Pascal
    "Reg-- whatever it is, there's a book written about it."  -Lee Kaplan
    "There will always be prayer in school as long as there are final
     exams" -Unknown
    "Now it's my turn in the barrel, huh?" -C. Regis Wilson
    "I don't like your .sig either." -Someone's .sig
    "Here she comes." "No, she's just breathing hard." -My boss and I
  t_pascal@oxy.edu	 t_pascal@cub.oxy.edu	     t_pascal@bobcat.oxy.edu
T. Pascal and Associates is an equal-opportunity hacking and programming
corporation.  Send inquiries and/or resumes to one of the above addresses.

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (12/30/90)

In article <133608@tiger.oxy.edu> t_pascal@oxy.edu (Clarence Regis Wilson) writes:
>Hi.  I have just compiled the larn dungeon adventure game.

Congratulations!  I gave up after a while, since it seems to be targeted
toward eitehr BSD or DOS machines; it was extremely difficult to get it to
even compile some of the modules.  The last version of larn I played with
was on a 3b5 (running, of course, SysV) had *far* better documentation on
what to use, nor did it assume that DOS was a SysV clone.

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."

routley@tle.enet.dec.com (01/01/91)

>Every time I use the '?' command to get the help screen, the program
>gives an error message just before the last page of the help screen:

>Larn - Panic! Signal 11 recieved [SIGSEV]

>  And if I press the space bar to see the last page, the core is dumped.
>I know that I should know enought UN*X to know what signal 11 is and
>where it should occur in the code, but I've just begun this sort of
>thing, so forgive me.

SIGSEGV is caused by the program reading/writing outside of it's own
memory.  In the case of help.c, I suggest that its caused by one of the
following possibilities:

1) the last "page" in the help file doesn't have enough lines; the file has
    been truncated.  Insure that there are at least 23 lines in the last
   "page".

2) an overflow has occurred in the buffer reading the help file lines.
   Try redefining tmbuf[] to be tmbuf[255] instead of tmbuf[128] in
  help.c.  You may wish to define LINBUFSIZ to be 255 in io.c as well.

3) lgetl() is returning NULL for some reason.  Try modifying help.c so
   that the calls to lgetl() check for NULL and print a message when
  that occurs.

I'd appreciate hearing what you find out.  Thanks.

Kevin Routley
routley@tle.enet.dec.com
tle.enet.dec.com!routley

oleg@Veritas.COM (Oleg Kiselev) (01/01/91)

In article <1990Dec30.051907.12122@kithrup.COM> sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
>>Hi.  I have just compiled the larn dungeon adventure game.
>Congratulations!  I gave up after a while, since it seems to be targeted
>toward eitehr BSD or DOS machines;

I have it running on SysV.4/i386 with a minimal amount of porting (I don't
have time for things that require alot of porting).

I am not in a habbit of keeping original sources, so I can't post diffs.

If you turn SYSV flag on in the Makefile, you are already almost done.
Other things to play with:
main.c		-- #ifdef out the stuff about ospeed.
signal.c	-- where #if defined(SIGVTALRM) is, add whatever define
		   you are using to get the 4.2 BSD sigsetmask stuff removed
tok.c		-- add #include <sys/filio.h>

All these are 1-line trivial changes.

From the looks of it, the "SIGVTALARM" and "ospeed" BSD-isms should be
#ifdef'd out on sVr3 as well.
--
DISCLAMMER: I speak for myself only, unless explicitly indicated otherwise.
Oleg Kiselev                                             oleg@veritas.com

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (01/01/91)

In article <1991Jan01.002151.6984@Veritas.COM> oleg@Veritas.COM (Oleg Kiselev) writes:
>If you turn SYSV flag on in the Makefile, you are already almost done.

Nope.  I did that.  Honestly.  And then spent about twenty minutes playing
with it again.  I eventually got it to compile (although it wasn't easy).
Then it didn't run.

>tok.c		-- add #include <sys/filio.h>

kithrup 43> ls -l /usr/include/sys/filio.h
/usr/include/sys/filio.h not found

>From the looks of it, the "SIGVTALARM" and "ospeed" BSD-isms should be
>#ifdef'd out on sVr3 as well.

And things need to be ifdef'd in, and a lot of what needs to be included
seems to be DOS dependent.  *I* don't have a lot of time to port, either,
but I don't give half-hearted efforts.  After about 30 minutes of playing
with it, I decided it really wasn't worth it, since I don't play games that
much, anyway.

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."

t_pascal@oxy.edu (Clarence Regis Wilson) (01/03/91)

>>Every time I use the '?' command to get the help screen, the program
>>gives an error message just before the last page of the help screen:
>>
>>Larn - Panic! Signal 11 recieved [SIGSEV]
>>
>>  And if I press the space bar to see the last page, the core is dumped.
>>I know that I should know enought UN*X to know what signal 11 is and
>>where it should occur in the code, but I've just begun this sort of
>>thing, so forgive me.
>
>SIGSEGV is caused by the program reading/writing outside of it's own
>memory.  In the case of help.c, I suggest that its caused by one of the
>following possibilities:
>
>1) the last "page" in the help file doesn't have enough lines; the file has
>    been truncated.  Insure that there are at least 23 lines in the last
>   "page".
>
>    [.....]
>
>I'd appreciate hearing what you find out.  Thanks.
>
>Kevin Routley
>routley@tle.enet.dec.com
>tle.enet.dec.com!routley

Thanks!  I just added more lines to the larn.hlp file and it worked well.
It was so obvious I could kick myself.	Thanks.