[comp.sources.games.bugs] xconq, xconq, who's got the xconq?

ameiba@reed.UUCP (Keith Steiger) (06/04/91)

This all started when I realized that /usr/games/lib/xconq was a symbolic
link to a directory that no longer existed.  So I figured "No problem--I'll
just get the tar file from our archive."  The person who made that archive
hadn't included the lib directory.  So I figured "I'll just pick up the
archive from somewhere else".  Well, our version.h said "5.1epfl (7/20/90)".
I've gotten xconq from every site that seems reasonable, and I've gotten four
major distributions--the 5.0 version from comp.sources.games, 5.3, and two
different versions of 5.4.  I've more or less decided that things are very
messed up, and I remember hearing that the original author was working for
Apple or some such and was no longer working on the game.

So, my questions are--
	Where would I find 5.1epfl?
	Would I want to find 5.1epfl?
	If not, what version of the game should I get, and from where?

I hope there's a clear winner.  If each of the versions has its own merits,
and each has features the others lack, I think I'll scream.
--
 Keith Steiger--ameiba@reed.edu--"I am what you see.  I cannot be otherwise."
  Disclaimer: Reed College tries very hard to ignore its students' opinions.

shebs@Apple.COM (Stan Shebs) (06/05/91)

In article <16466@reed.UUCP> ameiba@reed.edu (Keith Steiger) writes:

>I hope there's a clear winner.  If each of the versions has its own merits,
>and each has features the others lack, I think I'll scream.

Start screaming.  At this point I have copies of 5.1, 5.3, 5.3ufl, and three
versions of 5.4.  I don't have a 5.1epfl.

That's the bad news.  The good news is that Robert Forsman and myself have
been madly hacking away, and 5.5 should be out soon, with a number of
enhancements to commands and interface.  We have something plausible now,
just have to stop adding goodies.

The even better news (IMHO) is that I'm also hard at work on 6.0, which
is a *major* rewrite, including a new period language, commander hierarchy,
seasons/weather, smarter machines, rivers/roads, STACKING, multiple map
views, and many other things.  The code is also being upgraded to do more
dynamic allocation and to be more robust in various ways.  Available later
this year probably, can't say when, but it will be worth waiting for!

I'm also starting on a Mac port finally!

						Stan Shebs
						shebs@apple.com

nyet@nntp-server.caltech.edu (n liu) (06/06/91)

shebs@Apple.COM (Stan Shebs) writes:

>In article <16466@reed.UUCP> ameiba@reed.edu (Keith Steiger) writes:
>>
>>I hope there's a clear winner.  If each of the versions has its own merits,
>>and each has features the others lack, I think I'll scream.
>I'm also starting on a Mac port finally!
Oooh ooh! Anyone out there working on a Mess-dos port?

shevett@dworkin.UUCP ( Sysop) (06/08/91)

ameiba@reed.UUCP (Keith Steiger) writes:

>I've gotten xconq from every site that seems reasonable, and I've gotten four
>major distributions--the 5.0 version from comp.sources.games, 5.3, and two
>different versions of 5.4.

AAAAAAARRRGGGGG!!  Boy have *I* fallen behind.  I'm running Conquer
4.9 on my SCO Xenix 2.3.1 system.  I've cut the productivity of a large
portion of the population in my area, and I'd like to enhance it. (Go
after that other half ;-).

ANyway - there was a GCC-compileable version of 4.9 on Anomaly, where I
got mine.  Has anyone gotten 5.x to compile under Xenix?  If so, where
can I get the diffs or a ready-made package?

Dave Shevett - shevett@dworkin.amber.mccc.edu - Lawrenceveille, NJ

peter@suntan.viewlogic.com (Peter Colby) (06/10/91)

In article <44@dworkin.UUCP>, shevett@dworkin.UUCP ( Sysop) writes:
|> ameiba@reed.UUCP (Keith Steiger) writes:
|>
|> >I've gotten xconq from every site that seems reasonable, and I've gotten four
|> >major distributions--the 5.0 version from comp.sources.games, 5.3, and two
|> >different versions of 5.4.
|>

|> AAAAAAARRRGGGGG!!  Boy have *I* fallen behind.  I'm running Conquer
|> 4.9 on my SCO Xenix 2.3.1 system.  I've cut the productivity of a large
|> portion of the population in my area, and I'd like to enhance it. (Go
|> after that other half ;-).

	Sorry, but xconq and conquer are two totally different games!
	Conquer is a multi-player curses based game that (as far as I know)
only exists on UNIX workstations - originally posted in c.s.g of course. The
last version I played was 4.6 or so, released about 1 1/2 years ago.
	Xconq on the other hand has a long derivative history. Starting out
with a game called "empire" that was written (in Fortran no less) on a
Decsystem 10. It migrated to DecSystem 20 and to Vax/VMS, oh about 7 or 8
years ago. The same basic game (by the original author?) was released on
Apple Macintosh as Strategic Conquest - right about the time that the Mac+ came
out. This version has been revved twice with Strategic Conquest 3.0 released
about 6 months ago by a different publisher than the 1.0 and 2.0 versions.
Xconq is an expanded version developed entirely independantly (without
reference to the original code) for the X-window system by a person called
Stan Shebs - originally at the University of Utah (or somewhere nearby) and
now at Apple Computer. The first version I heard about came out for X10 and
was something less 5.0 which was released sometime around the same period
as X11R2. Version 5.1 (the last "official" version by Stan Shebs) was
released sometime around the X11R3 timeframe - 6 months to a year prior to
Conquer 4.6. No version of xconq beyond 5.1 has ever been released to the
net, rather news of ftp sites with later "home grown" versions have travelled
about by word of mouth (or email or comp.sources.games.bugs).
	I'm sure Stan Sheps, who apparently reads this newsgroup occaisionally,
can give a much more accurate history of xconq than I can.
	Peter C

--
      (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)     (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)
      (O) !the doctor is out! (O)     (0) peter@viewlogic.com (0)

cedman@golem.ps.uci.edu (Carl Edman) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun9.184109.19872@viewlogic.com> peter@suntan.viewlogic.com (Peter Colby) writes:
   In article <44@dworkin.UUCP>, shevett@dworkin.UUCP ( Sysop) writes:
   |> AAAAAAARRRGGGGG!!  Boy have *I* fallen behind.  I'm running Conquer
   |> 4.9 on my SCO Xenix 2.3.1 system.  I've cut the productivity of a large
   |> portion of the population in my area, and I'd like to enhance it. (Go
   |> after that other half ;-).

           Sorry, but xconq and conquer are two totally different games!
           Conquer is a multi-player curses based game that (as far as I know)
   only exists on UNIX workstations - originally posted in c.s.g of course. The
   last version I played was 4.6 or so, released about 1 1/2 years ago.

The latest working version of Conquer is 4.10. Since then the author
has been working on version 5.0, for which patch level 16 has come out
today.

The offical Conquer versions 4.10 and 5.0p16 are always available via
anon ftp from cs.bu.edu.

        Carl Edman

--
"We hold that what one man cannot morally do, a million men cannot
morally do, and government, representing many millions of men, cannot

shebs@Apple.COM (Stan Shebs) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun9.184109.19872@viewlogic.com> peter@suntan.viewlogic.com (Peter Colby) writes:
>	Xconq on the other hand has a long derivative history. Starting out
>with a game called "empire" that was written (in Fortran no less) on a
>Decsystem 10. It migrated to DecSystem 20 and to Vax/VMS, oh about 7 or 8
>years ago. The same basic game (by the original author?) was released on
>Apple Macintosh as Strategic Conquest - right about the time that the Mac+ came
>out. This version has been revved twice with Strategic Conquest 3.0 released
>about 6 months ago by a different publisher than the 1.0 and 2.0 versions.

StratCon was independently developed I believe (David Harr who works for
Delta Tao should be lurking around here, he ought to supply more of the
details) by one Peter Merrill, while Walter Bright did the older mainframe
versions.  Bright later did/directed ports to Unix and PCs.  At one point
somebody actually leaked the sources (after I had written xconq) and I
looked at it out of "professional interest", but the Fortran was quite
impenetrable!

>Xconq is an expanded version developed entirely independantly (without
>reference to the original code) for the X-window system by a person called
>Stan Shebs - originally at the University of Utah (or somewhere nearby) and
>now at Apple Computer.

Yes, we briefly ran VMS on a machine at Utah and that's I encountered and
became obsessed with the VMS empire.  I was, however, unhappy at the
unavailability of source and so decided to write my own.  The first working
version was strictly for curses - it was some months before a colleague
suggested an X port, and the rest, as they say, is history...

						Stan Shebs
						shebs@apple.com

jba@gorm.ruc.dk (Jan B. Andersen) (06/12/91)

peter@suntan.viewlogic.com (Peter Colby) writes:

[about the history of xconq and conquer]

Anyone know how Conquest for the Data General MV's fit into all this?
It's very much like Strategic Conquest for the Mac, but better.
--
      /|  / Jan B. Andersen                        /^^^\     .----------------.
     / | /  RUC, Hus 19,1     jba@dat.ruc.dk      { o_o }    | SIMULA does it |

timk@wynnds.xenitec.on.ca (Tim Kuehn) (06/12/91)

In <1991Jun11.181521.18288@gorm.ruc.dk> jba@gorm.ruc.dk
	(Jan B. Andersen) writes:
>peter@suntan.viewlogic.com (Peter Colby) writes:
>[about the history of xconq and conquer]

>Anyone know how Conquest for the Data General MV's fit into all this?
>It's very much like Strategic Conquest for the Mac, but better.

I remember playing that many seasons ago (~84), and loved the simple
straight-forwardness of the game. I'd like to impliment it on my SCO
Xenix box, but don't have the rules to the game. If anyone out there
has these rules or other documentation for the game, could you send
me a copy please? Thanks!

Tim Kuehn			 TDK Consulting Services  (519)-888-0766
timk@wynnds.xenitec.on.ca  -or-  !{watmath|lsuc}!xenitec!wynnds!timk
Valpo EE turned loose on unsuspecting world! News at 11!
"You take it seriously when someone from a ballistics research lab calls you."
Heard at a Unix user's meeting discussing connectivity issues.

peter@suntan.viewlogic.com (Peter Colby) (06/12/91)

	Since we are on the subject, I remember my first exposure to Empire
many years ago. We only had object (I believe this was on a Dec 20) and we
were stuck with the same map all the time - couldn't regenerate a new world
for some reason.
	Then after everybody lost interest due to boredom, somebody figured out
how to force regeneration of the world on startup and the game took off again.
	It was some period of time later - when we got a Vax, that somebody
was able to get hold of the (FORTRAN) source (it may have actually been on the
DECUS tapes at one point) and we were able to generate a version that actually
created reasonable maps.
	I had one friend who was looking to leave the company who played our
Vax version of Empire full-time (or close to it) for about 3 months. Talk
about addictive. By the way, he bought StratCon 1.0 when it first came out on
the mac.
	PC
--
      (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)     (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)
      (O) !the doctor is out! (O)     (0) peter@viewlogic.com (0)

acrosby@uafhp.uark.edu (Albert Crosby) (06/12/91)

With all the talk about xconq, i want to toss a couple of questions out about
the version of EMPIRE for (ack!) the IBM PC.

First, is EMPIRE version 5.00 1-Dec-82; MSDOS version 1.1 27-Jan-85 the current/last/only release of EMPIRE for the PC?  Are there any products evolved from it?
(My wife is truly addicted to Empire! It's about the only thing she uses the PC for!)

Also, what are *REGIS*  graphics?  This version of empire supports 'em, but what on earth is it?

Thanks!

Albert