[comp.sources.games.bugs] Xconq questions

zamick@remus.rutgers.edu (Zamick) (06/14/91)

Hey everyone,

	I've actually got some questions for you all out there.  First
of all, I must say my friends and I have been xconq fans since v1, and
while 5.0 does have some benefits there are two things that I really
miss, and hopefully some of you might know how to fix these problems,
or know of a version that has.

1) We have been unable to fix the siege system for xconq so that it
works in any period.
2) We also miss the mandatory garrisonning of a city by conquering
troops. The new ability for a single troop to go and capture a whole
slew of cities is a bit unbalancing and takes some strategy away from
the system.

Has anyone been able to set siege up to work? (Siege occurs when a
city is surrounded on all sides by opposing armies.)  And is it even
possible to modify xconq to either disband conquering and base
building troops or to force them into permanent garrison (not sentry)?

Ah well.
					Jonathan Zamick

daybell@nunki.usc.edu (Donald Daybell) (06/14/91)

In article <Jun.13.13.46.08.1991.9590@remus.rutgers.edu> zamick@remus.rutgers.edu (Zamick) writes:

>city is surrounded on all sides by opposing armies.)  And is it even
>possible to modify xconq to either disband conquering and base
>building troops or to force them into permanent garrison (not sentry)?

I believe it is an option you can compile into the period file, if you
want.  I cannot recall off hand the exact syntax, though.

I prefer it as it is.  Makes for a faster game, which for xconq is vital.

The game is very long as it is, so I'm in favor of most anything that makes
it faster.  I've got my version set up where you start with ownership of
all 4-5 towns in your "country", and have an inf and a ftr to boot.  Greatly
speeds up the initial phases of the game.

bumper sticker seen on stealth bomber:

"IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THEN WE WASTED 50 BILLION BUCKS."

Donald Daybell		daybell@usc.edu

djenner@arthur.Eng.Sun.COM (Doug Jenner) (06/15/91)

In article <Jun.13.13.46.08.1991.9590@remus.rutgers.edu> zamick@remus.rutgers.edu (Zamick) writes:

>Hey everyone,

[deleted for brevity]

>Has anyone been able to set siege up to work? (Siege occurs when a
>city is surrounded on all sides by opposing armies.)  And is it even
>possible to modify xconq to either disband conquering and base
>building troops or to force them into permanent garrison (not sentry)?

) Siege:  Yes, it does work.  The main two things is that all six of the
 siegeing need to have a chance (even if only 1%) to capture the besieged
 unit, and they all must have the necessary materials to attack (ammo or
 whatever.)  Included below are the relevant lines from my "Gondor" period,
 an xconq implementation of SPIs game "Gondor", from the "War of the Ring"
 flat pack.
8< --- Valuable Coupon - Clip and Save! --- 8<
; [ most of the period deleted for brevity ]
50 [ S C R ] movers capture
; every mover can capture Siege Towers, Catapults, and Rams 50% of the
;  time.
[ 1 2 1 ] [ ! # @ ] T capture
[ 1 2 1 ] [ ! # @ ] a capture
[ 1 2 1 ] [ ! # @ ] A capture
[ 1 2 1 ] [ ! # @ ] i capture
[ 1 2 1 ] [ ! # @ ] c capture
; notice Trolls, archers, Horse-archers, infantry, and cavalry can
;  all capture towers, gates, and citadels by just being adjacent...
;  but only very rarely.  The main reason they need the capture chance
;  above 0 is to facillitate siege.
10 [ # ! @ ] surrender
; The gate, tower, and citadel also need a positive chance for surrender,
; since siege is merely a special case surrender.
5000 [ # ! @ ] siege
; A gate, tower, or citadel will fall to a siege 50% of the time.

begin{notes}
[ notes deleted for brevity ]
To capture a defensive posistion, make sure you COMPLETELY surround it
with units that have an attack value (most do,) and make sure you have
a leader around to give them orders.  A unit out of command can only attack
once (they must have really limited memories, and can only remember one
order...)
[ note: the above applies to the resource "orders" created by leaders ]
A fortress or citadel acts as a leader, stockpiling orders to
pass out, so units in the city are almost always in command.  Units
can surround a fortress by playing three ladders around the fortress on the
wall, then sending in three units to block the fortress inside the city.
Finally, three more units occupy the ladders.  The fortress should fall
in a turn or so.
end{notes}
8< --- Valuable Coupon - Clip and Save! --- 8<

) Permanent garrison:  Yes.  Examine the walter bright emulation period
  distributed with 5.0.  It relies on the period definition for "guard"
  as in the following:

  1 @ A guard			; use up the capturing army
  ; require 1 hit point of army to guard a city (effectively removing
  ; the army from the game.)

  Your idea of garrisoning built bases is not implemented, however.

D.
--
_Doug Jenner_	          Model: Homo Sapiens, version 0.25, Alpha release
djenner@sun.com