[comp.sources.games.bugs] hearts version in comp.sources.games archive

pippin@leland.Stanford.EDU (Michael Killianey) (06/13/91)

I ftp-ed "hearts" from uunet.uu.net and have been attempting to
compile it with no luck.  It has a Makefile that refers to this file
"hearts_dist.c" or "hearts_dist.o" that didn't come with the archive.
Anyone had this problem and knows how to fix it?  Here's the tail end
of the output when I try to "make":

	cc -O -o hearts_dist hearts_dist.o opensock.o sockio.o
	ld:
	Can't open: hearts_dist.o (No such file or directory)
	ld: Usage: ld [options] file [...]
	*** Error code 1

(One of the guys on the network used to run this from his account, and
now that he's graduated, we want to get another version working...they've
purged his account, so we can't ask him for help...)

dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) (06/15/91)

One of those bugs in older distributions that probably have been discussed
in comp.sources.games.bugs but never made it to an official re-release.
But I just looked at it and think the following helps:

In article <1991Jun12.170441.1073@leland.Stanford.EDU> pippin@leland.Stanford.EDU (Michael Killianey) writes:
 > I ftp-ed "hearts" from uunet.uu.net and have been attempting to
 > compile it with no luck.  It has a Makefile that refers to this file
 > "hearts_dist.c" or "hearts_dist.o" that didn't come with the archive.
As de Makefile does not make references to dist.c that comes with the
archive (and, more taletelling, dist.c calls itself heart_dist), I think
it would be a safe bet to just rename dist.c to heart_dist.c.  I did not try!
dik@cwi.nl

sadkins@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Scott W. Adkins) (06/16/91)

In article <3706@charon.cwi.nl> dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) writes:
>One of those bugs in older distributions that probably have been discussed
>in comp.sources.games.bugs but never made it to an official re-release.
>But I just looked at it and think the following helps:
>
>In article <1991Jun12.170441.1073@leland.Stanford.EDU> pippin@leland.Stanford.EDU (Michael Killianey) writes:
> > I ftp-ed "hearts" from uunet.uu.net and have been attempting to
> > compile it with no luck.  It has a Makefile that refers to this file
> > "hearts_dist.c" or "hearts_dist.o" that didn't come with the archive.
>As de Makefile does not make references to dist.c that comes with the
>archive (and, more taletelling, dist.c calls itself heart_dist), I think
>it would be a safe bet to just rename dist.c to heart_dist.c.  I did not try!

Yes, this is the correct way of handling it.  I have it up and running on my
account and ran into this problem as soon as I tried to compile it.

Now I have a problem to ask you guys related to the same program.  It has
been running for a little while now.  It didn't have any problems until we
recently changed from 4.3 BSD to 4.3 BSD Reno.  Now when several people
wish to play in a game at the same time, the dealer will sometimes "die".
It does not happen on single games that I have noticed.  Has anybody else
had this problem?

Thanks.

Don't forget to have a good day!  Some people never remember this.
     Scott W. Adkins                   Internet: sadkins@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu
     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                             ak323@cleveland.freenet.edu
 (Flame me, not the net!)                Bitnet: cs823@ouaccvmb.bitnet
			   Ohio University of Athens