[rec.games.moria] One more time...

wilson@ji.Berkeley.EDU (James E. Wilson) (02/23/88)

In article <4167@xanth.cs.odu.edu> simmons@xanth.UUCP (Gregory S. Simmons) writes:
>I am making an urgent request to whoever in concerns......
As the author of UNIX Moria, I guess he means me.
I do not care for the tone of the article, though.  Hopefully others will not
repeat the same mistakes greg made.  I strongly suggest that everyone read
news.announce.newusers if you have not done so yet.

>In the last few weeks I've posted a request for the moria sources...
Sorry.  I have not been reading comp.sources.wanted.
I have been reading rec.games.moria though, and this is the first request
of yours that I have seen on that newsgroup.  As for frp, that is not a very
good newsgroup for this moria message.  Very few moria players are actually
frp fans.  I don't recommend cross-posting to that newsgroup.

>Many others have posted similar request....
I counted 6 moria related messages in the last month in comp.sources.wanted.
That is actually not very many considering how many people (200,000?) that
read USENET.

>If somebody would that the time and send them over the net....
>  (preferably here in REC.GAMES.MORIA since our com.sources.games in not
>   working right at our sight)

No!  This is wrong and could lose net priviledges for you and/or your site.
The source newsgroups exist for the very purpose of distributing source.
You should never post a program in a non-source newsgroup (unless it is
very small, say, less than 2K).  If you are having problems with
comp.sources.games then get it fixed!! Don't burden the rest of the
net with your problems.

>Let's not hear any excuses either...
>  i.e.,  "It's too long"
I'll say it anyways, It is too long.
Also, it has already been posted.
Think about it for a moment.  One megabyte at 2400 baud takes an hour to
send.  Multiply that by 10,000 sites and you have a VERY expensive total
phone bill.  This is an inefficient way to send source to six people.
I will be glad to repost sources if are willing to pay the phone bill. :-)

>All others who share my desire for sources, let's please post requests
>  until somebody answers our call.

This will only aggravate the other netreaders.  Please do not do this,
folks.

As for moria source itself (UNIX, PC, VMS), anyone who is interested in
it can send me email and I will explain how to get it.

Jim Wilson
wilson@ji.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!ucbji!wilson