[comp.theory] Maze searching problem

siegel@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Alexander Siegel) (04/06/88)

You are given a graph.  Each graph in the maze is labelled with a name
of size O(log n).  The graph has the following properties:
	1. Each edge is labelled with an arrow but it can be traversed
		either direction.
	2. The directed graph formed by the arrows is acyclic, and the
		in and out-degree if each vertex is at most 2.
	3. One vertex is the start and one is the goal.

The problem is determine whether the goal is reachable from the start
within an O(log n) space bound and no time bound.

Note: an equivalent problem is to produce a new graph such that the only
	vertex with in-degree 0 is the start, and the head can only move
	to the right on the output tape.
--
Alex Siegel
(607)255-1165 (Low Bandwidth Audio)

crocker@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Crocker) (04/07/88)

Is n the number of vertices in the graph (v), number of edges in
the graph (e), number of *things* in the graph (v+e), or something
completely different?

Ron Crocker
AT&T Bell Laboratories
(312) 416-5262
--
Ron Crocker
IHP 1A-213

marek@ucrmath.UUCP (Marek Chrobak) (04/08/88)

In article <2119@svax.cs.cornell.edu>, siegel@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Alexander Siegel) writes:
> You are given a graph.  Each graph in the maze is labelled with a name
> of size O(log n).  The graph has the following properties:
> 	1. Each edge is labelled with an arrow but it can be traversed
> 		either direction.
> 	2. The directed graph formed by the arrows is acyclic, and the
> 		in and out-degree if each vertex is at most 2.
> 	3. One vertex is the start and one is the goal.
>
> The problem is determine whether the goal is reachable from the start
> within an O(log n) space bound and no time bound.

It seems to be equivalent to the reachability problem in general graphs,
even if you restrict the degree of each vertex to 3. The other problem
is open.

Let G = (V,E) be a graph. You can assume that it is already acyclically
oriented (orient {u,v} from the smaller vertex to the bigger one).

Let v \in G. Replace v by two vertices v', v", join the edges incoming
to v to v', the edges outcoming from v to v", and join v to v' (with
direction v-> v'). Now we can replace all edges outcoming
from v" by a binary out-tree, and edges in-coming to v' by a binary
in-tree.

All this can be computed in DLOG.

Marek

siegel@SVAX.CS.CORNELL.EDU (Alexander Siegel) (04/08/88)

pase@ogcvax.UUCP (Douglas M. Pase) (04/08/88)

In article <svax.2119> siegel@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Alexander Siegel) writes:
 You are given a graph.  Each graph in the maze is labelled with a name
 of size O(log n).  The graph has the following properties:
 	1. Each edge is labelled with an arrow but it can be traversed
 		either direction.
 	2. The directed graph formed by the arrows is acyclic, and the
 		in and out-degree if each vertex is at most 2.
 	3. One vertex is the start and one is the goal.

 The problem is determine whether the goal is reachable from the start
 within an O(log n) space bound and no time bound.

--------------------------
It seems a simple dynamic programming approach would solve this easily.
It also seems that it would solve it in time proportional to n times the
distance between the start and the goal.  What's more, it would be independent
of any cycles, no matter how contorted.  I suppose whether this is true might
depend *how* the graph is represented.  If it is represented by a transition
matrix then a dynamic programming approach would certainly be more than
adequate.
--
Doug Pase  --  ...ucbvax!tektronix!ogcvax!pase  or  pase@cse.ogc.edu (CSNet)

srt@duke.cs.duke.edu (Stephen R. Tate) (04/08/88)

In article <4315@ihlpf.ATT.COM> crocker@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Crocker) writes:
>Is n the number of vertices in the graph (v), number of edges in
>the graph (e), number of *things* in the graph (v+e), or something
>completely different?

Does it really matter?  Since each vertex has constant-bounded degree,
all the things you mentioned are equivalent.  (all are O(n))

Also, in response to someone else's posting about dynamic programming:
Fine and dandy, but the original question was asking about keeping the
space to O(log n).  The dynamic programming approach would take considerably
more space than that.

--
Steve Tate			UUCP: ..!{ihnp4,decvax}!duke!srt
				CSNET: srt@duke

pase@ogcvax.UUCP (Douglas M. Pase) (04/09/88)

In article <ogcvax.1613> pase@ogcvax.UUCP (Douglas M. Pase) writes:
  The problem is determine whether the goal is reachable from the start
  within an O(log n) space bound and no time bound.
 It seems a simple dynamic programming approach would solve this easily.

OOPS... dynamic programming would use O(n) space.
--
Doug Pase  --  ...ucbvax!tektronix!ogcvax!pase  or  pase@cse.ogc.edu (CSNet)