[comp.theory] Design of FA's with a GUI

roussos@cs.arizona.edu (George E. Roussos) (02/06/90)

	I am curious to hear of what kind of tools exist for the design
of finite automata/state machines that use a graphical user interface to
allow the designer to describe the automata by using a mouse and objects
to represent the states and transitions into/out of them.  If you have
seen such a thing, I am curious as to:

tool name
which environment it runs under
availability (source, cost)

Thankyou,

george

Internet : roussos@cs.arizona.edu
UUCP : uunet!arizona!roussos

)

doner@henri.ucsb.edu (John Doner) (02/13/90)

In article <71@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> roussos@cs.arizona.edu (George E. Roussos) writes:
>	I am curious to hear of what kind of tools exist for the design
>of finite automata/state machines that use a graphical user interface to
>allow the designer to describe the automata by using a mouse and objects
>to represent the states and transitions into/out of them.  If you have

Within the last two years, I saw a Macintosh program called 'Turing'
that provided these facilities for designing Turing machines.  I think
I downloaded it from Compuserve.  Not sure what I did with it, though.
Does anyone else remember this one?  If not, I'll try a little harder
to locate it.

John E. Doner	       | "The beginner...should not be discouraged if...he
Mathematics, UCSB      | finds that he does not have the prerequisites for
Santa Barbara, CA 93106| reading the prerequisites."
doner@henri.ucsb.edu   |      --Paul Halmos, Measure Theory

fulk@cs.rochester.edu (Mark Fulk) (02/13/90)

In article <71@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> roussos@cs.arizona.edu (George E. Roussos) writes:
>	I am curious to hear of what kind of tools exist for the design
>of finite automata/state machines that use a graphical user interface to
>allow the designer to describe the automata by using a mouse and objects
>to represent the states and transitions into/out of them.  If you have

David Harel (harel@wisdom.weizmann.ac.il) and Amir Pnueli have an extremely
nice system based on their notion of "state charts".  State charts describe
finite automata, but are often vastly more compact; they provide simple ways
of describing cartesian product states, for example.  I've seen some sample
graphics, and they are very nice.  A state-chart description of Harel's
digital watch was much clearer than the corresponding state diagram, and
made it obvious where the watch-maker had committed some ergonomic no-nos.

As a simple limiting case, you can just diagram a DFA, Mealy machine,
or Moore machine with it.  But I'd bet you'll want to use the more
advanced features.

Mark Fulk

wme@dweazel.sw.mcc.com (Michael Evangelist) (02/14/90)

In article <1990Feb13.143415.12763@cs.rochester.edu>, fulk@cs.rochester.edu (Mark Fulk) writes:
> David Harel (harel@wisdom.weizmann.ac.il) and Amir Pnueli have an extremely
> nice system based on their notion of "state charts".

David does have a nice system for succinct representation of fsa. If
you want to represent more general computational structures that use
multiparty interactions for interprocess synchronization and
communication, my group at MCC has a visual tool called VERDI that
fits the bill nicely. (See the paper by me, Nissim Francez, and
Shmuel Katz in the November, 1989, TSE for background on
interactions.)

I am hoping to get VERDI binaries released to universities. VERDI is
a design tool for distributed systems, but it could easily be used
for teaching the elements of concurrency to undergraduates and would
be available at nominal charge. If you are interested, help me make
the case by sending email to evangelist@mcc.com.

Mike Evangelist