[comp.theory] Splitting FOCS

gillies@P.CS.UIUC.EDU (05/26/90)

> I have a problem with *that*!  The AMS (to which I also belong)
> makes much more of an effort to hold down the costs of attending
> their conferences.  (They often hold them at college campuses,
> and also include some weekend days, presumably so that those
> attending can get cheap airfares.)

It is surprising the way computer scientists can throw their
conference money around.  Recently, the 4th Annual Conference on
Computational Geometry was held on this campus.  All the lectures were
given in the campus performing arts center.

The cost of registration was over $200, and many mathematicians from
the U of Illinois chose not to attend because of the high registration
cost.  It seems most math conferences cost $100 to register, at the
very most.  The funding glut in C.S. may not last forever.

Adding a 3rd conference to FOCS and STOC, now that there is already
SODA held in San Francisco, seems like a great waste of money and/or
travel time.  I don't believe in splitting a communication forum until
until you have tried all other available means to handle the traffic
(i.e. parallel sessions).

berman@shire.cs.psu.edu (Piotr Berman) (05/26/90)

In article <100600042@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>> I have a problem with *that*!  The AMS (to which I also belong)
>> makes much more of an effort to hold down the costs of attending
>> their conferences.  (They often hold them at college campuses,
>> and also include some weekend days, presumably so that those
>> attending can get cheap airfares.)
>
>It is surprising the way computer scientists can throw their
>conference money around.  Recently, the 4th Annual Conference on
>Computational Geometry was held on this campus.  All the lectures were
>given in the campus performing arts center.
>
>The cost of registration was over $200, and many mathematicians from
>the U of Illinois chose not to attend because of the high registration
>cost.  It seems most math conferences cost $100 to register, at the
>very most.  The funding glut in C.S. may not last forever.
>
>Adding a 3rd conference to FOCS and STOC, now that there is already
>SODA held in San Francisco, seems like a great waste of money and/or
>travel time.  I don't believe in splitting a communication forum until
>until you have tried all other available means to handle the traffic
>(i.e. parallel sessions).

Actually, I got impression that while organizers are usually well
funded, a lot of people pay from their own pockets.  As the number
of researches increases and the number of grants does not, this is
an important consideration.  Moreover, many people without grants
are given some conference moneyby their colleges.  While these
allowances do increase with along with inflation, they definitely
do not grow as fast as the conference costs.

Piotr Berman

jcc@mimsy.umd.edu (John Cherniavsky) (05/30/90)

In article <9005251846.AA04325@irt.watson.ibm.com>, gillies@P.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:
> > I have a problem with *that*!  The AMS (to which I also belong)
> > makes much more of an effort to hold down the costs of attending
> > their conferences.  (They often hold them at college campuses,
> > and also include some weekend days, presumably so that those
> > attending can get cheap airfares.)
>
> It is surprising the way computer scientists can throw their
> conference money around.  Recently, the 4th Annual Conference on
> Computational Geometry was held on this campus.  All the lectures were
> given in the campus performing arts center.
>
> The cost of registration was over $200, and many mathematicians from
> the U of Illinois chose not to attend because of the high registration
> cost.  It seems most math conferences cost $100 to register, at the
> very most.  The funding glut in C.S. may not last forever.

The only difference between the AMS conferences and the Computer Science
conferences regarding the registration fees is what is bundled in with
the registration fees. Typically the cost of break refreshments and
lunches and a banquet are included in CS conference registration fees -
these are not included within the registration fee of most AMS meetings.
When the CS community began its STOC/FOCS conferences the number of
attendees was much smaller. It was felt, for social reasons, that having
common lunches was a good place to encourage collaborative research (
which is the argument used for funding student lunches at STOC and FOCS).
A secondary reason (at least in the early 70's) was as a means for
getting around low per diem allowances at some of the State universities.
The universities would pay registration fees without a quibble and then
allow, say $35/day, for all lodging and meal expenses. By bundling some
of the meals into the registration fee, attendees would not be out
too much pocket money.

One final, though not compelling, reason to include such lunches in the
registration fee is that buying lunches and breaks from the hotel gives
the conference organizer leverage in negotiating both room rates and
the free use of lecture facilities. Its been my experience that the
major costs of recent conferences has been the room rates and the
travel costs with the registration fees third - there is certainly
something to be said for a low cost conference (dorm rooms, meal plan
meals) and in this era of tight money, the conference organizers
should attempt to hold more of them - just let your umbrella
organization (the TC or the SIGACT Exec. Comm. or whatever) know
your wishes - its you (the attendees) who are the conference.

John C. Cherniavsky