[comp.theory] Is there a CFL not accepted by 2-DPDA?

wickberg@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (John Wickberg) (06/28/90)

<>
In "Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation" by
Hopcroft and Ullman, a statement is made that languages accepted by
a two-way DPDA can be recognised in linear time and that no one has
proven that there is a CFL that is not accepted by a 2DPDA (this can
be found at the end of chapter 5).

Has a CFL been proven not to be accepted by a 2DPDA?  If not, what
is the nature of the difficulty of the proof?

John Wickberg

marek@ucr.edu (marek chrobak) (06/28/90)

In article <9329@accuvax.nwu.edu> wickberg@delta.eecs.nwu.edu (John Wickberg) writes:

>In "Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation" by
>Hopcroft and Ullman, a statement is made that languages accepted by
>a two-way DPDA can be recognised in linear time and that no one has
>proven that there is a CFL that is not accepted by a 2DPDA (this can
>be found at the end of chapter 5).
>
>Has a CFL been proven not to be accepted by a 2DPDA?

No specific language has been proven to be not in 2DPDA. As far as
I know, all proofs of such results are based, in essence, on
diagonalization.

In fact, the problem is not trivial even when the pushdown is just a
counter (2DCA). Duris and Galil (TCS 21) proved that 2DCA is strictly
contained in 2DPDA. I proved (JCSS 30) that 2DCA is strictly contained
in 2NCA (nondeterministic).

>                                                   If not, what
>is the nature of the difficulty of the proof?

Give it a try, you'll see.

Best,

Marek

Marek Chrobak                              email: marek@ucrmath.ucr.edu
Math & CS, UC Riverside                    phone: (714) 787-3769