[comp.theory] Actual use of formal semantics in languages

steve@hubcap.clemson.edu ("Steve" Stevenson) (07/26/90)

Does anyone know of the actual use of any formal semantics techniques
in describing a common language for which there is a standard
(e.g. C, Fortan, Cobol, Pascal) and such description is subsequently
used for a commercially available implementation?

Thanks
Steve (really "D. E.") Stevenson           steve@hubcap.clemson.edu
Department of Computer Science,            (803)656-5880.mabell
Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634-1906

rwh@PROOF.ERGO.CS.CMU.EDU (Robert Harper) (07/27/90)

steve@hubcap.clemson.edu ("Steve" Stevenson) writes:

>Does anyone know of the actual use of any formal semantics techniques
>in describing a common language for which there is a standard
>(e.g. C, Fortan, Cobol, Pascal) and such description is subsequently
>used for a commercially available implementation?

"The Definition of Standard ML" by Robin Milner, Mads Tofte, and Robert
Harper, MIT Press, 1990.

There are several implementations, some public-domain (SML/NJ), some
commericial products (Abstract Hardware Ltd's SML).  The relationship between
the formal semantics and an implementation has been a topic of active
discussion.
--
Robert Harper
School of Computer Science		Net: rwh@cs.cmu.edu

cliff@cs.man.ac.uk (Cliff Jones) (07/31/90)

Hi there!

There are several VDM definitions of standard languages. The Bjorner/Jones
book (see below) has VDM descriptions of Pascal and ALGOL 60; that has
refernces to the Vienna work which sparked off VDM: a description of
ECMA/ANSI PL/I.

Springer-Verlag's LNCS 98 reports on early attempts by the DDC to
describe Ada. A version of this was then used in their development of
an Ada compiler (the first European compiler to be approved via the
DoD test cases I believe). There was subsequent ESPRIT-funded work to
develop a full Ada semantics.

The current Modula-2 standard is being developed in VDM.

cliff jones

@book{BjornerJones82,
	author =	"D. Bj{\o}rner and C.B. Jones",
	year =		"1982",
	publisher =	"Prentice Hall International",
	title =		"Formal Specification and Software Development",
	note = 		"501 pages"
}

@BOOK{		Bjorner80f,
  EDITOR	= "D. Bj{\o}rner and O.Oest",
  TITLE		= "Towards a Formal Description of {Ada}",
  PUBLISHER	= S-V,
  YEAR		= "1980",
  VOLUME        = "98",
  SERIES	= LNCS