[comp.theory] Infinite games

mahajan@fornax.UUCP (Sanjeev Mahajan) (08/02/90)

It is known (I forget the reference) that all Borel games are determinate,
(that is either their is a winning strategy for player I or there is
a winning strategu for the player II) if measurable cardinals exist.
In particular it is known than all SIGMA-k games are determinate
(this is true indpendent of whether measurable cardinals exist or not).
My question is this: Let us, for simplicity, consider only closed games.
Then the proof of the theorem runs roughly as follows: Let us assume
that for all stratgies for player II there is a strategy for player I,
such that the player II doesn't win. Then there is a first move for
player I, such that for any strategy of player II after this move there
is a strategy of player I such that player II does not win (because if
this wasn't so, there would be a winning strategy for player II). One
can continue this argument at finite level, and hence prove by induction
that there is strategy of player I such that (s)he always has a winning
path at a finite level, and as the game is closed this is also a winning
strategy for player I. OK, now finally the question :-). Observe that
the argument that 'there is a first move ...' is in some vague sense
non-constructive. So my question is, is there a constructive version
of this theorem, or does the question even make sense. One way
of formulating the constructive version would be as follows: if
for all computable strategies s of player II, one can uniformly compute,
in a recursive index of s, a computable strategy s' of player I such that
player II does not win then one can construct (uniformly in an index of
the algorithm that computes s' from s) a computable strategy for player I
such that for all computable strategies of player II, player I wins.
If this statement is not true, can it be modified in some non-trivial way,
so that it is true.

Sanjeev

spector@sumax.UUCP (Mitchell Spector) (08/03/90)

In article <1033@fornax.UUCP> mahajan@fornax.UUCP (Sanjeev Mahajan) writes:
>It is known (I forget the reference) that all Borel games are determinate,
>(that is either their is a winning strategy for player I or there is
>a winning strategu for the player II) if measurable cardinals exist.

   Martin proved without any large cardinal assumption that all Borel
games are determined.  The proof does require a substantial amount of
ZF and cannot be carried out, for example, by discussing just reals and
sets of reals (as H. Friedman showed, actually before Martin's proof).

   The existence of a measurable cardinal implies that all analytic games
are determined; in fact, by work of Martin and Harrington, the determinacy
of analytic games is equivalent to the existence of r# for all reals r
(which follows from the existence of a measurable cardinal).

--
Mitchell Spector
Dept. of Computer Science and Software Engineering

rld@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Randall L Dougherty) (08/04/90)

In article <1033@fornax.UUCP> mahajan@fornax.UUCP (Sanjeev Mahajan) writes:
>It is known (I forget the reference) that all Borel games are determinate,
>My question is this: Let us, for simplicity, consider only closed games.
>the argument that 'there is a first move ...' is in some vague sense
>non-constructive. So my question is, is there a constructive version
>of this theorem, or does the question even make sense. One way
>of formulating the constructive version would be as follows: if
>for all computable strategies s of player II, one can uniformly compute,
>in a recursive index of s, a computable strategy s' of player I such that
>player II does not win then one can construct (uniformly in an index of
>the algorithm that computes s' from s) a computable strategy for player I
>such that for all computable strategies of player II, player I wins.
>If this statement is not true, can it be modified in some non-trivial way,
>so that it is true.

A more standard way of stating this question would be: do computable
closed games have computable winning strategies?  A closed set is considered
to be computable if there is an algorithm for generating a list (probably
infinite) of basic open sets whose union is the complement of the given
closed set.

It turns out that the answer to this is negative.  There are computable
clopen games (both the winning set and its complement are computable closed
sets) such that neither player has a computable winning strategy.  In
fact, to find winning strategies for all computable clopen games,
one has to go arbitrarily high up in the hyperarithmetic hierarchy
(the computable analogue of the Borel hierarchy; level 0 is the
recursive sets, level 1 is the recursively enumerable sets and their
complements, etc.).  This result appears as 6E.8 from "Descriptive
Set Theory" by Y. Moschovakis.

This also gives a negative answer to the original formulation above.
If we are given a computable clopen game such that player I has a
winning strategy but no computable winning strategy, then any
given strategy for player II must fail, and in fact must fail after
finitely many steps, since the game is clopen.  To find a strategy
for player I which beats this strategy for II, just search through
all finite sequences of moves until one is found for which II's
strategy has already failed; this is clearly a computable process.
On the other hand, since no computable strategy for I is a
winning strategy, the same argument shows that, given a computable
strategy for I, II can find a computable strategy which beats it
(just search for a suitable finite sequence of moves and then
always play 0).

Given these results, it is unlikely that any nontrivial reformulation
of the original question (without drastic restrictions) will have a
positive answer.

Randall Dougherty                       [Disclaimer out of order]
Internet: rld@function.mps.ohio-state.edu
UUCP: ...!{att,pyramid}!osu-cis!function.mps.ohio-state.edu!rld
"I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, that when looked at in the
right way didn't become still more complicated."  Poul Anderson, "Call Me Joe"