[comp.theory] Textbook for Intro. Comp. Theory course

C.Eagle@massey.ac.nz (Colin Eagle) (08/28/90)

I  have been asked  to  survey netters  on textbooks  for  a course on
introductory computer  theory.

This   course  is  non-programming,  and   looks   at files,  computer
organisation and computer science theory.

I would  appreciate people who teach  this type  of  course mailing me
with the details of the textbook(s) they use.

Thanks in advance,
Colin

--
			    Colin G. Eagle
		    Internet: C.Eagle@massey.ac.nz

C.Eagle@massey.ac.nz (Colin Eagle) (09/05/90)

This is a repeat  of a query  I sent out  last week, but  got only one
response (from someone asking for a copy of the responses I received!)
Our  mailserver  has  been out for  a few days, so   if you sent  me a
response, could you please resend it.

I  have been asked  to  survey netters  on textbooks  for  a course on
introductory computer  theory.

This course complements a programming paper,  is for majoring Computer
Science   students  and    covers   computer  applications,   computer
architecture, logic, computer theory, file organisation, etc.

wilber@aludra.usc.edu (John Wilber) (09/18/90)

In article <392sis-a@massey.ac.nz> C.Eagle@massey.ac.nz writes:

>I  have been asked  to  survey netters  on textbooks  for  a course on
>introductory computer  theory.

As far as I have been able to tell, the concept of a "good" textbook on
"computer theory" is an oxymoron.  Since such books are invariably
written by computer science theoreticians and computer science theoreticians
invariably know almost nothing about computers (as one would expect
from mathematicians) the textbooks I have seen have all been dismally
uninformed about the realities of computer technology (and even good
theory for that matter).