[comp.theory] 3n + 1 problem

nand@athena.mit.edu (Nand M Mulchandani) (09/22/90)

Hi !

	When I was taking my automata theory course at Cornell University, we
discussed an undecidable problem which can be stated as the following :

	'n' is a positive integer.
	if n is odd, make n = 3 * n + 1.
	if n is even, divide by 2.

	Question(s) : (maybe not exact) Does n always -> 0 ?
				     If it does, in how many steps ?

	My question is : is the correct statement of the problem ?
	and            : Has a solution been found ?

			Thanks in advance !

Nand M. Mulchandani

Department of Computer Science		630 Stewart Avenue
Cornell University			Ithaca, New York 14850
v2rx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu		607.273.0101

Sloan School of Management		49 Grove Street
E52-504					Somerville, Massachusetts 02144
Massachusetts Institute of Technology	617.623.5550
nand@athena.mit.edu
617.253.0276

mahajan@fornax.UUCP (Sanjeev Mahajan) (09/22/90)

In article <1990Sep21.212241.21613@athena.mit.edu>, nand@athena.mit.edu (Nand M Mulchandani) writes:
> Hi !
>
> 	When I was taking my automata theory course at Cornell University, we
> discussed an undecidable problem which can be stated as the following :
>
> 	'n' is a positive integer.
> 	if n is odd, make n = 3 * n + 1.
> 	if n is even, divide by 2.

I fail to understand in what sense this problem is undecidable. Has it been
proven that it cannot be decided under some standard axioms of number theory?

Sanjeev

nachum@m.cs.uiuc.edu (09/27/90)

The problem is unsolved (rather than unsolvable).  See J. Recreational
Math. 21(2), pp. 120-3, 1989, for a recent paper and references on the
topic.

bs@linus.mitre.org (Robert D. Silverman) (09/27/90)

In article <1290@fornax.UUCP> mahajan@fornax.UUCP (Sanjeev Mahajan) writes:
:In article <1990Sep21.212241.21613@athena.mit.edu>, nand@athena.mit.edu (Nand M Mulchandani) writes:
:> Hi !
:>
:
:I fail to understand in what sense this problem is undecidable. Has it been
:proven that it cannot be decided under some standard axioms of number theory?

What is probably meant is that the computational procedure to decide if
a given integer has the property that the sequence terminates at 1 is
NOT primitive recursive.

Otherwise, I have no idea.

--
Bob Silverman