[comp.theory] Parallel Parsing?

chou@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Ching-Tsun Chou) (10/16/90)

Does anyone know of any works, either theoretical or practical, on
parsing context-free languages with parallel algorithms?
I would greatly appreciate any pointers and will post a summary of responses.

Please mail your response to <chou@cs.ucla.edu>.

- Ching Tsun

hoover@cs.UAlberta.CA (Jim Hoover) (10/16/90)

In article <40171@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> chou@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Ching-Tsun Chou) writes:

>Does anyone know of any works, either theoretical or practical, on
>parsing context-free languages with parallel algorithms?
>I would greatly appreciate any pointers and will post a summary of responses.
>
>Please mail your response to <chou@cs.ucla.edu>.
>
>- Ching Tsun

You wouldn't know it from the title, but Larry Ruzzo's paper:
    Walter L. Ruzzo, "Tree-Size Bounded Alternation", J. Computer and System
    Sciences, 21, 1980, pp 218-235.
shows that CFL recognition can be done in O(log n)^2 time with a polynomial
number of processors.  There may be an efficient parser lurking in the proofs.

--
Prof. Jim Hoover                   | Office +1 403 492 5401 or 5290
Dept. of Computing Science         | FAX    +1 403 492 1071

hubert@vega.ucsb.edu (Hung-Hsien Hubert Chang) (10/19/90)

In article <40171@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> chou@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Ching-Tsun Chou) writes:

>Does anyone know of any works, either theoretical or practical, on
>parsing context-free languages with parallel algorithms?
>I would greatly appreciate any pointers and will post a summary of responses.
>
>Please mail your response to <chou@cs.ucla.edu>.
>
>- Ching Tsun

Baer, Ellis: Model , Desgin , and Evaluation of a compiler for a parallel processing enviornment
IEEE trans. on Soft Eng V.3 N.5 Nov 1977

Cohen , Hickey: Upper bounds for speedup in parallel parsing
JACM v.29 N2. Apr 1982

Cohen , Kolodner  Estimating the speedup in parallel parsing
IEEE trans Soft Eng V.11 N.1 Jan 1985

Dekel, Sahni: parallel generation of postfix and tree-forms
ACM tran Prog lang syst V.5 N.3 July 1983

Donegan, Katzke : lexical analysisi and parsing techniques fro a vector machine
Proc Conf Prog. Lang and Compilers for paralle and vector machines.
ACM -SIGPLAN notics V.10 Mar 1975

Ellis: parallel compilign techniques
Proc. ACM 26th Nat. Conf 1971

Fisher: On parsing context-free languages in parallel enviornmets
Ph.D dissertation , Dep of computer science , Cornell Univ

Krohn: a prallel approach to code generation fro Fortran-like compilers
Proc. Conf. Prog. Lang and compilers for paralle and vector machines ACM-SIGPLAN
notices V.10 Mar 1975

Ligett, McCluskey, and McKeeman: parallel LR parsing
Wagn Institute of Gradaute studies, School of information technology, technical report TR 82-03 1982

Mickunas, Schell: parallel compilation in a multiprocessor enviornment
Proc ACM 1987

Hope it helps.

Hubert
Hung-Hsien Chang