[comp.theory] partitioning problem

facc005@SAUPM00.BITNET ("M. Atiquzzaman") (12/01/90)

The number of ways of partitioning n objects into k groups such
that * no group is empty * is given by the Stirling's number of the
second type i.e.

S(n,k) = S(n-1,k-1) + k*S(n-1,k)

Is there any formula for calculating the number of possible partitions
if * one or more groups may be empty *  ?

M. Atiquzzaman
facc005@saupm00.bitnet
facc005%saupm00.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu

nmg@c3.c3.lanl.gov (Niall Graham) (12/01/90)

>The number of ways of partitioning n objects into k groups such
>that * no group is empty * is given by the Stirling's number of the
>second type i.e.
>
>S(n,k) = S(n-1,k-1) + k*S(n-1,k)
>
>Is there any formula for calculating the number of possible partitions
>if * one or more groups may be empty *  ?

How about   SUM {from i=1 to k}  S(n,i)

I don't think a simple recurrence exists unless a third parameter
is introduced to keep track of the number of empty parts.

Niall Graham
Los Alamos

pathria@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Anu Pathria) (12/02/90)

>The number of ways of partitioning n objects into k groups such
>that * no group is empty * is given by the Stirling's number of the
>second type i.e.
>
>S(n,k) = S(n-1,k-1) + k*S(n-1,k)
>
>Is there any formula for calculating the number of possible partitions
>if * one or more groups may be empty *  ?

I must be missing something but shouldn't it be k^n-S(n,k) ?

wcn@cs.brown.edu (Wen-Chun Ni) (12/03/90)

I originally sent the following solution to the person asking
the question. But I think it is necessary to let the public
know what it is.

------------------ Solution

If I do not misinterpret your problem, the problem is in fact
easier than the original one. No recurrence is required, and
the answer is k^n/k!.

From generating function, n!S(n,k) is the coefficient of x^n in
	(exp(x)-1)^k/k!,
but the function of your answer is
	(exp(x))^k/k!.
You may refer to Liu's introductory book for such interpretations.
You can also get just k^n if you consider the groups are labelled,
but the generating function is another story.

Somebody (I deleted it from my file) answered this question by posing
an incorret answer: sum(for i=1 to k) S(n,i).

  Wen-Chun Ni: Department of Computer Science
	       Brown University,               (H) (401) 2723615
	       Providence, RI 02912            (O) (401) 8637668

      *   *                    I'm quite sure if God were asked
     *   *      *              to draw up a programme of the world
    **   ***  ***              he had created, he could never do it.
   * *   *      *
  *  *   ********                  -- Mahler to Alma, 15th Dec 1901
     *     *  *
     *     *  *                     in description of 2nd Symphony
     *    *   *  *                                  "Resurrection."
     *   *    ****

nmg@c3.c3.lanl.gov (Niall Graham) (12/03/90)

Wen-Chun Ni writes:

>If I do not misinterpret your problem, the problem is in fact
>easier than the original one. No recurrence is required, and
>the answer is k^n/k!.

Oops!   k^n/k! is not an integer for k >= 3.

.
.
>Somebody (I deleted it from my file) answered this question by posing
>an incorret answer: sum(for i=1 to k) S(n,i).

I did! And I still believe it is correct.

Since you like generating functions I'll add that the special case
k=n yields the Bell numbers whose exponential generating function
is e^(e^x - 1)  [Ref. An old "Monthly" article by Rota].

>  Wen-Chun Ni: Department of Computer Science
>	       Brown University,               (H) (401) 2723615
>	       Providence, RI 02912            (O) (401) 8637668

Niall Graham                    "If this is Heaven, I'm bailin' out"
Los Alamos, New Mexico                             The Birthday Party