[comp.theory] Abstract Machines; References to ~

naren@cs.UAlberta.CA (Narendra Ravi) (11/29/90)

Hi,

I was reading the paper by Prof. J. R. Abrial in Math. of Prog.
Construction, LNCS 375. In that paper he has three references:

1988, Abstract Machines: Basic Concepts
1988, Abstract Machines: Programming Concepts
1988, Abstract Machines: Refinement

The author of the above is Prof. Abrial himself. Are
these tech reports, or books? Could anyone please let
me know where can they be obtained from?

Please post or email.

Naren.

* Narendra Ravi                  * 615, General Services Building,    *
* Email : naren@cs.ualberta.ca   * Department of Computing Science    *
*       : naren@alberta.UUCP     * University of Alberta              *
* Tel   : (403) 492-3520 (Off)   * Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA T6G 2H1  *

cliff@cs.man.ac.uk (Cliff Jones) (12/03/90)

In article <naren.659889435@menaik> naren@cs.UAlberta.CA (Narendra Ravi) writes:
>... In that paper he has three references:
>
>1988, Abstract Machines: Basic Concepts
>1988, Abstract Machines: Programming Concepts
>1988, Abstract Machines: Refinement
>
>The author of the above is Prof. Abrial himself. Are
>these tech reports, or books? Could anyone please let
>me know where can they be obtained from?

These are manuscripts written by Jean-Raymond (if I remember rightly,
for a "year of Programming" event at Texas which got cancelled).
Jean-Raymond is a wonderful scientist who does masses of work but does
not then just publish for the sake of academic points. His ideas often
move on before things get out to journals etc. You could try writing
to him but I suspect that (at best) you'll get something completely
new!
His address is:
M. Jean-Raymond Abrial,
26, Rue des Plantes,