[comp.theory] Wanted: Intro to Linear Logic

oscar@cui.unige.ch (Oscar Nierstrasz) (12/06/90)

I am looking for a good introduction to Linear Logic.
I have the following seminar paper by Girard, but it
is not very gentle as an introduction:

	%A J-Y. Girard
	%T Linear Logic
	%J Theoretical Computer Science
	%V 50
	%I North-Holland
	%D 1987
	%P 1-102

Can anyone provide any good pointers?

Thanks in advance.

Oscar Nierstrasz

Dr. O.M. Nierstrasz                     E-mail: oscar@cuisun.unige.ch
Centre Universitaire d'Informatique     Tel:    41 (22) 787.65.80
12 rue du Lac, CH-1207 Geneva           Fax:    41 (22) 735.39.05
SWITZERLAND                             Home:   41 (22) 733.95.68

verwer@ruuinf.cs.ruu.nl (Nico Verwer) (12/07/90)

In article <4053@cui.unige.ch> oscar@cui.unige.ch (Oscar Nierstrasz) writes:

>I am looking for a good introduction to Linear Logic.

I also found the paper by Girard in TCS hard to read as an introduction.
An article on LL which made me understand what it's all about was

"Towards a geometry of interaction"
by Jean-Yves Girard
in "Categories in Computer Science and Logic",
John W. Gray and Andre Scedrov, eds.,
Contemporary Mathematics volume 92, AMS 1989.

This is in the proceedings of a conference held in 1987 in Boulder, but
it appeared in print only last year. You may also want to read

"Linear logic, *-autonomous categories and cofree algebras"
by R.A.G. Seely,

which appears in the same volume.

Other references are:
"Linear logic and parallelism" by J.-Y. Girard in LNCS 280
(Does anyone know if the paper in cooperation with Gianfranco Mascari,
which Girard promises in the abstract has ever actually appeared?),
"Linear logic and lazy computation" by J.-Y. Girard and Y. Lafont in
LNCS 250,
"An algebraic axiomatization of linear logic models" by Narciso
Marti-Oliet and Jose Meseguer, SRI-CSL-89-11, tech. rep. SRI
International.
--
Nico Verwer                                       | verwer@cs.ruu.nl
Dept. of Computer Science, University of Utrecht  | phone: +31 30 533921

duchier@cs.yale.edu (Denys Duchier) (12/08/90)

In article <4053@cui.unige.ch> oscar@cui.unige.ch (Oscar Nierstrasz) writes:
 > I am looking for a good introduction to Linear Logic.
 > I have the following seminar paper by Girard, but it
 > is not very gentle as an introduction:
 >
 >       %A J-Y. Girard
 >       %T Linear Logic
 >       %J Theoretical Computer Science
 >       %V 50
 >       %I North-Holland
 >       %D 1987
 >       %P 1-102
 >
 > Can anyone provide any good pointers?

On my desk, at this time:

"What is Linear Logic?" Appendix B, in:

	Proofs and Types
	Jean-Yves Girard and Yves Lafont and Paul Taylor
	Cambridge Tracts in Theoretical Computer Science 7
	Cambridge University Press, 1989

It also refers the reader to:

	Linear Logic and Lazy Computation
	J.Y. Girard and Y. Lafont
	TAPSOFT 87, vol 2, LNCS 250
	Springer-Verlag

	Logiques, Categories et machines
	Y. Lafont
	These de doctorat
	University Paris VII, 1988

	The Linear Abstract Machine
	Y. Lafont
	TCS (to appear)

--Denys

lincoln@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Patrick D. Lincoln) (12/08/90)

A good informal introduction to linear logic can be found in:

        @article(
EATCS,Author="Scedrov, A.",
        Title="A Brief Guide to Linear Logic",
        Journal="Bulletin of the European Assoc. for
                Theoretical Computer Science",
        Volume="41",
        Month="June",
        Year="1990",
        Pages="154-165")

If you read french, the following was written for a very wide audience:

        @article(
FrenchSciAm,Author="Girard, J.-Y.",
        Title="La Logique Lin\'eaire",
        Journal="Pour La Science, \'Edition Francaise de
        Scientific American",
        Volume="150",
        Month="April",
        Year="1990",
        pages="74-85")

A plug for some recent complexity results:
(propositional linear logic is undecidable,
 and a natural fragment is PSPACE-complete)

	@inproceedings(
LMSS, author="Lincoln, P. and Mitchell, J.C. and Scedrov, A. and Shankar, N.",
	Title="Decision Problems for Propositional Linear Logic",
	Booktitle="Proc. 31st {IEEE} Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science",
	pages="662--671",
	Year="1990")

More references than you really wanted:

        @article(
LL,Author="Girard, J.-Y.",
        Title="Linear Logic",
        Journal="Theoretical Computer Science",
        Volume="50",
        Year="1987",
        pages="1-102")

        @article(
Mult,Author="Girard, J.-Y.",
        Title="Multiplicatives",
        Journal="{Rendiconti del Seminario Matematico
        dell' Universit\'a e Politecnico Torino, Special Issue on
        Logic and Computer Science}",
        Year="1987",
        pages="11-33")

        @inproceedings(
Quant,Author="Girard, J.-Y.",
        Title="Quantifiers in Linear Logic",
        Booktitle="{Proc. of the SILFS Conference, Cesena, Italy}",
        Month="January",
        Year="1987")

        @misc(
GirardBoulder,Author="Girard, J.-Y.",
        Title="Towards a Geometry of Interaction",
        HowPublished="{In: Contemporary Math. 92, Amer. Math. Soc.}",
        Year="1989",
        Note="69-108")

        @inproceedings(
GeomInterI,Author="Girard, J.-Y.",
        Title="Geometry of Interaction {I}: Interpretation of System {F}",
        Booktitle="Logic Colloquium '88",
        Editors="R. Ferro et al.",
        Publisher="North-Holland",
        Address="Amsterdam",
        Year="1989")

        @misc(
GeomInterII,Author="Girard, J.-Y.",
        Title="Geometry of Interaction {II}: Deadlock-Free Algorithms",
        HowPublished="{In: Springer LNCS 417}",
        Year="1990")

        @inproceedings(
Lazy,Author="Girard, J.-Y. and Y. Lafont",
        Title="Linear Logic and Lazy Computation",
        Booktitle="{TAPSOFT '87, Volume 2}",
        Publisher="{Springer LNCS 250}",
        Year="1987",
        pages="52-66")

        @book(
ProofsTypes,Author="Girard, J.-Y. and Y. Lafont and P. Taylor",
        Title="Proofs and Types",
        Publisher="Cambrige Tracts in Theoretical Computer Science,
        Cambridge University Press",
        Year="1989")

        @inproceedings(
BLL,Author="Girard, J.-Y. and A. Scedrov and P.J. Scott",
        Title="Bounded Linear Logic: A Modular Approach to
        Polynomial Time Computability",
        Booktitle="Proc. Math. Sci. Institute Workshop on
        Feasible Mathematics, Cornell University, June, 1988",
        Editors="S.R. Buss and P.J. Scott",
        Publisher="Birkhauser",
        Year="1990")

	@phdthesis(
Bellin, Author="G. Bellin",
	title = "Mechanizing Proof Theory:
		Resource-Aware Logics and
		Proof-Transformations to Extract Implicit Information",
	school="Stanford University",
	year="1990")

        @article(
DanosRegnier89,Author="Danos, V. and L. Regnier",
        Title="The Structure of Multiplicatives",
        Journal="Archive for Mathematical Logic",
        Volume="28",
        Year="1989",
        pages="181-203")

        @inproceedings(
Cerrito90,Author="Cerrito, S.",
        Title="A Linear Semantics for Allowed Logic Programs",
        Booktitle="Proc. 5-th {IEEE} Symp. on Logic in Computer Science,
        Philadelphia",
        Month="June",
        Year="1990")

        @inproceedings(
AndreoliPareschi,Author="Andreoli, J.-M. and R. Pareschi",
        Title="Linear Objects: Logical Processes with Built-In Inheritance",
        Booktitle="Proc. 7-th International Conference on
        Logic Programming, Jerusalem",
        Month="May",
        Year="1990")

        @inproceedings(
GunterGehlot89,Author="Gunter, C.A. and V. Gehlot",
        Title="Nets as Tensor Theories",
        Booktitle="Proc. 10-th International Conference on Application and
        Theory of Petri Nets, Bonn",
        Editor="G. De Michelis",
        Year="1989",
        pages="174-191")

        @misc(
Meseguer89,Author="Marti-Oliet, N. and J. Meseguer",
        Title="From {Petri} Nets to Linear Logic",
        HowPublished="{In: Springer LNCS 389, ed. by D.H. Pitt et al.}",
        Year="1989",
        Note="313-340")

        @article(
Avron,Author="Avron, A.",
        Title="The Semantics and Proof Theory of Linear Logic",
        Journal="Theoretical Computer Science",
        Volume="57",
        Year="1988",
        pages="161-184")