[comp.theory] Found: Math for CS research

norman@d.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) (12/19/90)

In a previous article I wrote:
> I seem to remember a book or research report in which someone described
> all the mathematics they considered necessary for research in most
> areas of Computer Science. I assume that it covers universal algebra,
> various logics, category theory, type theory, and semantics, or some
> combination of these topics.

Penny Anderson recognized the paper from my vague description. (Yea Penny!)
The reference is

  James W. Thatcher, Eric G. Wagner, and Jesse B. Wright.  Notes on
  algebraic fundamentals for theoretical computer science.  Lecture notes
  from summer on Foundations of Artificial Intelligence and Computer
  Science, Pisa, June 1978.

You may recognize the authors as members of IBM's "ADJ group".
(Joseph A. Goguen is the fourth member of the group.)

Thanks to all that responded.

Cheers,
Norm
--