[comp.theory] Name for a Relation?

gil@daffy.gatech.edu (Gil Neiger) (02/09/91)

I am dealing with a kind of relation and I'm wondering if there's
a name for it.  It's a binary relation that is irreflexive, transitive
and antisymmetric (in other words, it's a partial order that's
irreflexive).  Added to this I have the following condition:  the
"not related" relation is an equivalence class.

More formally, suppose that my relation is denoted by "<".  Define
"not related," using the symbol "|" as follows:

	(p | q) if and only if (not(p < q) and not(q < p))

My relation < has the property that

	if p|q and q|r, then p|r.

Thus, the "not related" relation (|) is transitive; since < is
irreflexive, | is reflexive; by definition it is symmetric.

Given all this, is there a name for the relation "<"?

				- GIl Neiger
				gil@cc.gatech.edu

crew@CS.Stanford.EDU (Roger Crew) (02/09/91)

In article <824@mephisto.edu> gil@daffy.gatech.edu (Gil Neiger) writes:

> I am dealing with a kind of relation and I'm wondering if there's
> a name for it.  It's a[n irreflexive partial order < such that]
> "not related" relation | [i.e., (p | q) iff (not(p < q) and not(q < p))]
> is an equivalence [relation].... Is there a name for the relation "<"?

I'd call it the complemented transpose of a total preorder
(<@, as defined by p <@ q === not(q<p), is reflexive, transitive, and total).

--
Roger Crew
Usenet:    {arpa gateways, decwrl, uunet, rutgers}!cs.stanford.edu!crew

sakkinen@tukki.jyu.fi (Markku Sakkinen) (02/15/91)

In article <824@mephisto.edu> gil@cc.gatech.edu (Gil Neiger) writes:

> I am dealing with a kind of relation and I'm wondering if there's
> a name for it.  It's a binary relation that is irreflexive, transitive
> and antisymmetric (in other words, it's a partial order that's
> irreflexive).  Added to this I have the following condition:  the
> "not related" relation is an equivalence class.
>
> More formally, suppose that my relation is denoted by "<".  Define
> "not related," using the symbol "|" as follows:
>
> 	(p | q) if and only if (not(p < q) and not(q < p))
>
> My relation < has the property that
>
> 	if p|q and q|r, then p|r.
>
> Thus, the "not related" relation (|) is transitive; since < is
> irreflexive, | is reflexive; by definition it is symmetric.
>
> Given all this, is there a name for the relation "<"?

It may be illuminating to look at this also from the
more general viewpoint of quasi-orders (preorders),
like Roger Crew already did.  Whereas a partial order can be
defined either in the more usual way with 'less-or-equal' (`<=')
or as strict with `<', a general quasi-order cannot be uniquely
determined by `<'.

An interesting subset of quasi-orders are "weak orders"
(so called at least by Suppes), which can be considered as
total (linear) orders between equivalence classes.
A quasi-order that is both a weak order and a partial order
is total.  In a paper, I have used the term "virtual weak order"
for a quasi-order that can be transformed into a weak order
by making incomparable (not related) elements equivalent.
The necessary and sufficient condition is exactly that the
"not related" relation be transitive.

Since your type of relation is a partial order, there is moreover
a one-to-one relationship between such orders and the corresponding
weak orders.  If your purpose is to represent such orders in
a computer, the good news is that they are no worse
than total orders;  i.e., for N elements you will need
only space proportional to N (or N*log N), while partial orders
and quasi-orders in general need N*N (or N*N*log N).

Markku Sakkinen
Department of Computer Science and Information Systems
University of Jyvaskyla (a's with umlauts)
PL 35
SF-40351 Jyvaskyla (umlauts again)
Finland
          SAKKINEN@FINJYU.bitnet (alternative network address)

fulk@cs.rochester.edu (Mark Fulk) (02/16/91)

In article <824@mephisto.edu> gil@cc.gatech.edu (Gil Neiger) writes:

> I am dealing with a kind of relation and I'm wondering if there's
> a name for it.  It's a binary relation that is irreflexive, transitive
> and antisymmetric (in other words, it's a partial order that's
> irreflexive).  Added to this I have the following condition:  the
> "not related" relation is an equivalence class.
>
> More formally, suppose that my relation is denoted by "<".  Define
> "not related," using the symbol "|" as follows:
>
> 	(p | q) if and only if (not(p < q) and not(q < p))
>
> My relation < has the property that
>
> 	if p|q and q|r, then p|r.
>
> Thus, the "not related" relation (|) is transitive; since < is
> irreflexive, | is reflexive; by definition it is symmetric.
>
> Given all this, is there a name for the relation "<"?

The relation "<=" defined by x<=z iff x<z or x|z is a pre-order of
a total order.  If you call "<" a strict order, I guess a fair term
would be a "strict pre-total-order."

1) The equivalence relation "|" respects the ordering, in a
particularly strong sense:

w|x and y|z -> [w<y iff x<z]

Proof:
Assume w|x, y|z, and w<y.
not w|z, because otherwise w|y by transitivity of |.
not z<w, because then y<z by transitivity of <.
Therefore, w<z.

not x|z, because otherwise w|z by transitivity of |.
not x>z, because otherwise x>w by transitivity of >.
Therefore x<z.

So we have w|x and y|z imply [w<y implies x<z].
By symmetry, we have w|x and y|z imply [x<z implies w<y].
This establishes the claim.

(Please pardon the tedious proof; I found the problem messy
enough that I wanted to be very formal to be sure.)

2) The quotient order is total: if two |-classes are incomparable,
all of their elements are incomparable, and they should not be
separate |-classes.

Mark