[comp.theory] H-T Planarity Algorithm

icsrc@ming.cs.montana.edu (Rob Cimikowski) (02/07/91)

Does anyone have a source code listing of the Hopcroft-Tarjan planarity
algorithm they could e-mail me?  I would prefer C or Pascal code.

icsrc@cs.montana.edu

zinkv@azu22.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de (Volker Zink) (02/07/91)

In article <3441@dali> icsrc@ming.cs.montana.edu (Rob Cimikowski) writes:

>Does anyone have a source code listing of the Hopcroft-Tarjan planarity
>algorithm they could e-mail me?  I would prefer C or Pascal code.
>
>icsrc@cs.montana.edu

I also would appreciate, if someone could send me the
source code for this algorithm.

Bye...
	Volker

Volker Zink               Email: zinkv@azu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.dbp.de
Student                   local: zinkv@azu
Universitaet Stuttgart

kpv@ulysses.att.com (Phong Vo[drew]) (02/10/91)

In article <2905@redstar.cs.qmw.ac.uk>, liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) writes:

> What I do remember, however, is that if you want to planarise the graph rather
> than just test for planarity, the Hopcoft & Tarjan algorithm isn't as useful
> as the other major algorithm (can't remember who developed it).

Check out 'Ranking and Unranking Planar Embeddings' (Vo, Dick & Williamson,
Linear and Multilinear Algebra, v.18, 1985). We show there how to implement
H-T algorithm in a way that one can generate all different embeddings of the
graph. In particular, algorithms are provided to generate a particular embedding.
The path-tree structure used in that paper can also be used to determine
triconnectivity and series-parallel graphs (which include outer-planar graphs)
as I showed in other papers in the same journal in 1983.

himsolt@trillian.fmi.uni-passau.de (Michael Himsolt) (02/15/91)

Rob> Does anyone have a source code listing of the
Rob> Hopcroft-Tarjan planarity algorithm they could e-mail me?  I
Rob> would prefer C or Pascal code.

We do have an  implementation  of the HT  Planarity  Test in C as
part of  our graph editor GraphEd;  it  is approx.  800  lines of
code. It is not fully tested, but seems to be very stable. We are
also trying  to  add an algorithm to  compute (and  then draw)  a
planar embedding.

The implementation uses  the Sgraph-structure, which  is part  of
GraphEd, so you might need GraphEd, too. GraphEd is available via
anonymous ftp from forwiss.uni-passau.de  (132.231.1.10).

I just put Version 2.03 on the server; it contains the HT-test in
the    directory    graphed2.03/extra/newplanar   (the test    in
graphed2.03/extra/newplanar  is  quite   buggy).  Sgraph  is   in
graphed2.03/sgraph (Sgraph  algorithms can  be run independend of
GraphEd, too). Manuals are available from me.

-- Michael Himsolt
--
Michael Himsolt,  Universitaet Passau,  Postfach 2540,  D-8390 Passau,  GERMANY
himsolt@fmi.uni-passau.de                             graphed@fmi.uni-passau.de

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) (02/18/91)

I haven't been able to find my C code for the H-T algorithm, but I do now have
the references to other related work.

T. Chiba, I. Nishioka & I. Shirakawa,
"An Algorithm of maximal planarization of graphs",
Proceedings of ISCAS, pp 649-652, July 1979

Describes a modification of the H-T test which produces a planar component of
a graph in O(v*E) time and space. Tests the graph until a frond is found which
makes the graph non-planar, then breaks that frond and tries again. They have
a clever data structure to save some of the information from previous parts of
the test; this improves running time but not theoretical efficiency.

T. Ozawa & H. Takahashi,
Graph Theory and Applications, 108, pp 95-107, Springer Verlag, 1981

Planarisation algorithm (based on PQ-trees) requiring O(V*(V+E)) time. They
give statistical results to show that the algorithm performs well on random
graphs and argue that the PQ-tree approach is better than H-T because it
offers a strightforward way of finding good planar subgraphs.

K.S. Booth & G.S. Lueker,
"Testing for the Consecutive Ones Property, Interval Graphs and
 Graph Planarity using PQ-Tree Algorithms",
J.Comp.Sys.Sci, vol 13, pp 335-379, 1976.

Describes the PQ-tree data structure and its use in graph planarity testing.

--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP