[comp.theory] Inferences

lev@eng.umd.edu (Lev Novik) (03/12/91)

Hi!
I have a problem:
-----
 Suppose we have a set of elements, and a set of inferences of
the type "If we know _these_ elements, we can find _that_ one."  Problem: find
the smallest set from which we can derive all elements of te original set.
-----
Can anybody refer me to any algorithm on this (preferably  not NP).?
Thanks.

------------------------------------
Lev Novik
Dept. of Mathematics
University of Maryland, College Park.

libkin@saul.cis.upenn.edu (Leonid Libkin) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar11.193909.10853@eng.umd.edu> lev@eng.umd.edu (Lev Novik) writes:
>Hi!
>I have a problem:
>-----
> Suppose we have a set of elements, and a set of inferences of
>the type "If we know _these_ elements, we can find _that_ one."  Problem: find
>the smallest set from which we can derive all elements of te original set.
>-----
>Can anybody refer me to any algorithm on this (preferably  not NP).?
>Thanks.
>
>------------------------------------
>Lev Novik
>Dept. of Mathematics
>University of Maryland, College Park.

This is the problem of finding minimal keys in relational schemes with
functional dependencies. If you need to know all keys, their number
may be exponential in the number of dependencies (inferences).
Actually, you asked about _the_ smallest set, but such a set may not
be unique. To find _a_ key takes polynomial time in the number of
dependencies/inferences.

!  Leonid Libkin                  !     E-mail:  libkin@saul.cis.upenn.edu  !
!  Dept. of Comp. & Info. Sci.    !     Voice:   (215) 898 - 9510 or        !
!  University of Pennsylvania     !              (215) 222 - 8758           !
!  Philadelphia, PA 19104-6389    !     Fax:     (215) 898 - 0587           !