[comp.theory] dreams...

harel@WISDOM.WEIZMANN.AC.IL (David Harel) (02/21/91)

"I have a dream ..."
	   (Martin Luther King)

I thought it would be nice to share with you a dream I had last
night. (Some people dream a lot; I don't. Some probably dream about
their work; I have never.)

The dream featured Roger Penrose, who had just proved that P=NP.
He kept saying that he had done some work on approximate solutions
to the timetable problem (or the traveling salesman problem -- I can't
remember which one it was), and, in thinking them over a few days ago,
a polynomial-time solution suddenly came to him.

All dreams seem to have a frustrating part to them, and this was no
exception. There were two. One was my repeated, frantic attempts to
try to get Penrose to explain the solution to me. No luck! What a pity.
Try to imagine a story in the New York Times science section, describing
the solution to the P vs. NP problem as having been revealed to the
author in a dream...

The other frustration, involved trying to convince all kinds of strange
people who kept showing up in my office at all hours, demanding that I
explain what more is there to complexity theory, and what will all the
great talents in this area do, now that not only has their main open
problem been resolved, but it has been resolved in such a way as to
render equivalent so many interestingly different-looking complexity
classes. I remember having only very feeble and unconvincing answers
for them, and kept mumbling all kinds of junk...

That's when the dream ended. No, there was no screaming or cold sweat
or anything like that, but I sure hope P is not equal to NP.

David Harel

turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) (02/21/91)

-----
In describing a dream, Mr Harel said something that struck me
as expressing an attitude fundamentally against progress.

In article <9102191402.AA08433@hadar.wisdom.weizmann.ac.il> David Harel <harel%wisdom.weizmann.ac.il@VM1.NoDak.EDU> writes:
> ... No, there was no screaming or cold sweat or anything like
> that, but I sure hope P is not equal to NP.

It would be much better if P=NP.  Any proof of this would
undoubtedly reveal new ways to better solve important problems
that are currently intractable except on relatively small sets.

> The other frustration, involved trying to convince all kinds
> of strange people who kept showing up in my office at all hours,
> demanding that I explain what more is there to complexity theory,
> and what will all the great talents in this area do, now that
> not only has their main open problem been resolved, but it has
> been resolved in such a way as to render equivalent so many
> interestingly different-looking complexity classes. ...

These are smart people.  They would quickly find other important
problems on which to focus.  Indeed, this would be an important
benefit of proving P=NP: it would free up all these bright people
to work on problems that remain unsolved.

All practical research is inherently the kind of work that when
it succeeds well, it destroys the very field in which the work
was done.  There are many fewer people now working on cures or
preventions for smallpox than there were fifty years ago.  The
workers fifty years ago succeeded well, and put themselves out of
work.  (Or at least, they put themselves out of *that* work.  I
have no doubt that most went on to other useful work in
medicine.)  A simple cure for AIDS would eliminate many current
research jobs.  Should we for that reason hope this disease has no
simple cure?

Everyone doing practical research should keep in mind that it is
their goal to make sure that their current job is one for which
there is no need in ten years.

Russell

vlad@erg.sri.com (beyer) (02/23/91)

In article <3002@charon.cwi.nl> lambert@cwi.nl (Lambert Meertens) writes:
>In article <18023@cs.utexas.edu> turpin@cs.utexas.edu (Russell Turpin) writes:
>) > , but I sure hope P is not equal to NP.
>)
>) It would be much better if P=NP.  Any proof of this would
>) undoubtedly reveal new ways to better solve important problems
>) that are currently intractable except on relatively small sets.
>
>What if we find an order THETA(n^794948115) algorithm?  And what about the
>possibility of a non-constructive proof of P=NP, that is, one that proceeds
>by reducing the assumption that none of those algorithms "out there" in the
>ocean of polynomial algorithms solves say 3SAT to an absurdity without
>giving any clue in the process as to which one might do the trick?
>
>Actually, if the P=NP? question will ever be settled, of the two possible
>verdicts: a proof that P != NP, and a proof that P = NP, the non-construc-
>tive version of the latter seems to me -- for intuitive reasons that I
>cannot justify -- the more plausible possibility; it's what I would put my
>money on if I were into betting.
>
>--
>
>--Lambert Meertens, CWI, Amsterdam; lambert@cwi.nl

If your intuition is correct, wouldn't we have a lot of fun looking for a
"constructive" proof (i.e., an ACTUAL polynomial algorithm for solving,
say, Travelling Salesman problem), once the non-constructive proof of its
existence is found?

Even if the exponent will turn out to be huge, say 4884587.
 That way, we could spend the next 100 years gradually
lowering it to n^4884586, then to n^4884585, then to n^4884584*log n, etc. :-)

Vlad

kono@csl.sony.co.jp (Shinji Kono) (02/23/91)

In article <3002@charon.cwi.nl>
	, lambert@cwi.nl (Lambert Meertens) writes
>Actually, if the P=NP? question will ever be settled, of the two possible
>verdicts: a proof that P != NP, and a proof that P = NP

or it may one of the independent problem, like continuum hypothesis.
--------
Shinji Kono, E-Mail: kono@csl.sony.co.jp, nifty: MAF00476
$@2OLn??<#(J Sony Computer Science Laboratory, Inc.

kondoh@harl86.harl.hitachi.co.jp (Hidetaka KONDOH) (03/12/91)

In article <1971@virgo.csl.sony.co.jp> kono@csl.sony.co.jp (Shinji Kono) writes:
   >>In article <3002@charon.cwi.nl>
   >>	     , lambert@cwi.nl (Lambert Meertens) writes
   >>>Actually, if the P=NP? question will ever be settled, of the two possible
   >>>verdicts: a proof that P != NP, and a proof that P = NP
   >>
   >>or it may one of the independent problem, like continuum hypothesis.

No, I think it is not the case, since with 2nd-order formulation of
the mathematical induction (i.e.
    \forall X [X(0) & \forall v [X(v) -> X(s(v))] -> \forall v X(v)]
), the axiom system of Peano arithmetic is categorical (having unique
model except for non-standard models, which do not interpret \in
(membership-predicate symbol) as the membership relation), and
"P = NP" problem would be able to be formulated in this 2nd-order
Peano arithmetic, so that problem must be either true or false in
its unique standard model.

(In the case of the continuum hypothesis, there are standard models
of ZF set theory in some of which the hypothesis comes true and
in others it is given falsity.)

Of course, due to the Incompleteness theorem of Godel, there are
many sentences which are independent of the categorical 2nd-order
Peano arithmetic, but in the unique standard model of the theory
can give true or false decisively to each of those sentences.

Hidetaka KONDOH (kondoh@harl.hitachi.co.jp)	Advanced Research Laboratory
						Hitachi, Ltd.
Voice: +81-492-96-6111/6112 (Ext. 6328)		Hatoyama, Saitama  350-03
Fax:   +81-492-96-6005				JAPAN

In article <1721@harl86.harl.hitachi.co.jp> kondoh@harl86.harl.hitachi.co.jp (Hidetaka KONDOH) writes:

   %%"P = NP" problem would be able to be formulated in this 2nd-order
   %%Peano arithmetic, so that problem must be either true or false in
   %%its unique standard model.
   %%
And this is definite (not arbitrary, but we don't know whether
it is true or false now, of cource :-))