[comp.theory] Rule Based Language.

cs450a03@uc780.umd.edu (03/26/91)

Ron Legere writes:
>I am not sure that this belongs in this group but here goes:

Try comp.lang.misc

>I was recently playing around with a product called "Mathamatica".
>
>What struck me as interesting was its method of programming by
>"Transformation rules."
>
>My question is are there  any languages that are based on this idea.

I believe refal is, but ask around.

Raul Rockwell

creeds@hardy.u.washington.edu (Ron Legere) (03/26/91)

I am not sure that this belongs in this group but here goes:

I was recently playing around with a product called "Mathamatica".

What struck me as interesting was its method of programming by
"Transformation rules."

My question is are there  any languages that are based on this idea.
I guess in its most basic form ( not mathamatical like mathamatica)
 you would be allowed to enter rules:

   swap $a $b -> b a
 ( Where the $a for example indicates that any  string can  fill
the pattern, and the thing filling it is temp. called a)
 Then when you enter an expression like
 swap x y
The system would search the defined rules and return:
  y x
Recursion should also be allowed.
The system should also keep evaluating rules until it ran out of rules,
and I suppose some precedence would be needed.
Are there any languages like this? Are there any languages that can
easily be made to emulate this? Please NOTE: I am not a CS student!
Also , Is the above, when fleshed out enough to define a full language?
( in the Turing equivalence sense )

                      Please Respond By Email: