From:      BRINT <abc@brl-bmd>

NO COMMENT-

----- Forwarded message # 1:

Date: 26 Jan 84 7:31:31-PST (Thu)
To: info-micro@brl
From: ihnp4!ihuxr!elk@ucb-vax
Subject: Byte +

I see that everyone is finaly getting their Byte Magazines.  This isn't the
only one that is late.  My NIBBLE hasn't come for two months and is this
late or not!  They was supposed to start the subscription in Nov. (at least
my check was cashed in Oct) but had to call in Jan to get the Dec. issue.
I did get the Feb issue just today but yet have to receive the Jan one.  I
called them and they said that the issues are delivered to the subscribers
approx. 2 weeks after the news stands get theirs.  So it seems as with Byte
that a subscriber is of second interest to the publishers and he/she will
get the issues last.  Also they said that they will not send out any
replacement issues until the next issue is sent.

----- Forwarded message # 2:

Date: 26 Jan 84 12:24:07-PST (Thu)
To: info-micro@brl
From: ihnp4!ihlts!rjnoe@ucb-vax
Subject: Re: No January BYTE here either..

I think those who feel that publishers of magazines (Byte included) care
less about subscribers than newsstands just because the latter get copies
first have misunderstood just how magazines are distributed.  Subscribers
pay a smaller amount and get copies delivered through the phenomenally
slow (but cheap) U.S. Postal Service.  Magazine distributors (and
newsstand operators) pay much more to have them delivered by the faster
(but more expensive) United Parcel Service.  They also sell many, many
copies which means more money for the publishers.  It's not a question of
"paying less attention to those who deserve it" because they subscribe,
it's entirely a matter of economics.  If you wish to purchase a large
number of Byte magazines each month and pay the UPS charges, you will
get them when the newsstands do.  Of course, you have to go through a
distributor, and magazine distributing is, shall we say, very ORGANIZED.
Each distributor pays an agency (sort of a FAMILY business) to "protect"
the distributor's virtual monopoly in a region.  So you have no choice
but to obtain magazines through THIS distributor and to accept the
magazines he chooses.  It's not a fun business relationship.  Consider
yourselves fortunate that you can subscribe to magazines at all and
avoid these "businesspeople".

----- Forwarded message # 3:

Date: 12 Jan 84 12:59:00-PST (Thu)
To: info-micro@brl
From: hplabs!hp-pcd!john@ucb-vax

Its strange that everyone is complaining that Byte is coming in a couple of
weeks late. The information is usually 3 to 4 months old by the time it gets
printed anyway so why should a little longer hurt? If its really that critical
then you should pay the extra $1.97 per issue and get it earlier at the local
Safeway.

Complaining to the publisher may help since its the long time subscribers
that provide a large predictable source of revenue. That is something that
they want to keep happy. I wonder if the crowded magazine market is forcing
them to fight a battle for shelfspace?

John Eaton
!hplabs!hp-pcd!john

----- End of forwarded messages