[comp.theory] K shortest paths

lor@cbnewsk.att.com (edward.lor) (04/19/91)

Are there any established algorithms to find the k (k>1) shortest paths
between two nodes in a graph?

When k=1, there are numerous algorithms to the problem (Dijkstra's,
breadth-first, etc.), but I can't find any materials in finding k paths
in most of the graph theory books.

Any pointer is appreciated.

--
                                          Edward Lor
                                          lor@cbnewsk.att.com

vlad@erg.sri.com (vlad) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr19.002449.28518@cbnewsk.att.com> lor@cbnewsk.att.com (edward.lor) writes:

>Are there any established algorithms to find the k (k>1) shortest paths
>between two nodes in a graph?
>
>When k=1, there are numerous algorithms to the problem (Dijkstra's,
>breadth-first, etc.), but I can't find any materials in finding k paths
>in most of the graph theory books.
>
>Any pointer is appreciated.
>
>--
>                                          Edward Lor
>                                          lor@cbnewsk.att.com

Here are some:

\bibitem{sur74}
J.W. Suurballe.
\newblock Disjoint paths in a network.
\newblock {\em Networks}, 4:125--145, 1974.

For k=2:

\bibitem{surtar84}
J.W. Suurballe and R.E. Tarjan.
\newblock A quick method for finding shortest pairs of disjoint paths.
\newblock {\em Networks}, 14:325--336, 1984.

Richard Ogier, Nachum Shacham and I have recently submitted for publication
a paper on distributed solutions to this problem. I can send you a copy.

Vlad Rutenburg