[comp.theory] Looking for references...

drh@duke.cs.duke.edu (D. Richard Hipp) (05/20/91)

I'm searching for references to papers/books/articles which discuss
problems similar to the examples listed below.  Any responses will be
appreciated.

1.  G is a CFG and L(G) is its language. K is a positive integer.  Given G,
    find the K-th element of L(G) assuming the elements are listed
    in dictionary order (shortest first).  Do this in time which is
    a polynomial in K.

1b. Quickly list all elements of L(G) which are shorter than K symbols.

1c. Quickly count the number of elements in L(G) which are less than
    K symbols long.

2.  G is a CFG and R is a regular language.  Find G' which is a subset
    of G consisting of all production rules in G which are used in any
    derivation of any string in R.

2b. Given CFG G and regular expression R, find G' such that
    L(G') = L(G) \intersect L(R) and |G'| = O(|G|).

Please E-mail responses to drh@cs.duke.edu.  Thanks!

hans@lscs.ed.ac.uk (Hans Huttel) (05/21/91)

In article <674752501@romeo.cs.duke.edu>, drh@duke.cs.duke.edu (D. Richard Hipp) writes:
> I'm searching for references to papers/books/articles which discuss
> problems similar to the examples listed below.  Any responses will be
> appreciated.
>
> 1.
[ stuff deleted ]
> 1b.
[ stuff deleted ]
> 1c.
[ stuff deleted ]
> 2.
[ stuff deleted ]
> 2b.
[ stuff deleted ]
> Please E-mail responses to drh@cs.duke.edu.  Thanks!

Is it just me, or is this person having a take-home exam ? (I think the
format of his question gives it all away...)

--
Hans H\"{u}ttel, Office 1603        JANET: hans@uk.ac.ed.lfcs
Lab. for Foundations of Comp. Sci.  UUCP:  ..!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!hans

cliff@cs.man.ac.uk (Cliff B Jones) (05/26/91)

I have recently (together with Ketil Stoelen) been working on a new
way of developing shared-variable style concurrent programs. One of the
examples that we have tried is a parallel version of J. Earley's
parsing (well, we've focussed on the recogniser) algorithm. There are
some interesting questions about the form of the parallel version of
the algorithm itself. Does anyone have any references to this (or
other) parallel parsing algorithms?

cliff jones