[comp.theory] Undecidable problems about CFL's.

lorentz@ms.secs.csun.edu (Richard J. Lorentz) (05/18/91)

While trying to think up questions for a final exam on Computability
Theory I got to thinking:  just when is the question  L=L'? decidable
for arbitrary CFL L and fixed L'.  For example, if L' = (0+1)* the question
is undecidable, but it L' is any finite set the problem certainly is
decidable.  But what if L'=0*1* ?  Is the question decidable now?  What
properties must L' have to make the problem decidable or undecidable?

Any insights, references, etc. would be appreciated.  By the way, I
decided to bag the whole idea of asking a question like this on the exam!
--
|   Richard J. Lorentz   |   lorentz@ms.secs.csun.edu   |   (818) 885-2733   |

greibach@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Dr Sheila Greibach) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May17.211050.3096@csun.edu> lorentz@ms.secs.csun.edu () writes:
>just when is the question  L=L'? decidable
>for arbitrary CFL L and fixed L'.

This is known, but I wouldn't dare use it for an exam even in a
graduate course in cfl!

The answer can be found (I think; I don't have it in front of me) in:

Hunt & Rosenkrantz, "On equivalence and containment problems for
formal languages" JACM (1977) Vol 24, 387-396

In a nutshell -- decidable if L' is bounded cfl (reduction to
Presburger arithmetic); undecidable if L' is unbounded regular
(in essence, reduction from the case L' = (0+1)* ).

[A language L is called bounded if the are words w(1),...,w(n) such that
L is included in w(1)*  ... w(n)* ]