POURNE%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (01/16/84)

From:  Jerry E. Pournelle <POURNE@mit-mc>

Heck I GOT MY BYTE for Jan on Saturday 14 Jan!  Ye gods.

emjej@uokvax.UUCP (01/21/84)

#R:sri-arpa:-1551400:uokvax:3400032:000:277
uokvax!emjej    Jan 18 10:14:00 1984

They are not unique in that respect. For the past several months, it
has typically been mid-month before I have gotten my BYTE. What is
truly off-urinating about it is that the local B. Dalton *always*
seems to have it promptly at the beginning of the month.

					James Jones

ciaraldi@Rochester.ARPA (01/24/84)

From:  Mike Ciaraldi <ciaraldi@Rochester.ARPA>

Mine showed up a while ago, but I was wondering if anyone else
has noticed something like this:

I see Byte on the stands one day. About a week later, people who
have subscriptions in Rochester start to get them,
and mine shows up about a week after that!

In other words, my copy is consistently among the last that arrive
in Rochester over a one-week span.

Mike Ciaraldi
ciaraldi@rochester

POURNE%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (01/26/84)

From:  Jerry E. Pournelle <POURNE@mit-mc>

well, one of you might write me at BYTE New Hampshire and I can
then (1) print that letter, and (2) m,ention the great whango of
othermail on the subject; t hat might cause something to be
done.  It might not, too.
JEP

ABN.ISCAMS%usc-isid@sri-unix.UUCP (01/26/84)

Can't STAND it any more...

I got my Byte in a timely fashion, about the same time I usually get it,
and before the newstands.

I live in North Carolina, which maybe affects delivery procedures and
schedules.  So here is no complaint.  (I am NOT criticizing those who did
NOT receive their Byte in a timely fashion, understand -- just that not ALL
had that problem.)

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall

TAFEL.pasa@PARC-MAXC.ARPA (01/26/84)

I move that we all cancel our subscriptions and boycott the
turkeys!!!!!!
LETS TAKE A VOTE!!!!

AN UPRISING IS THE ONLY WAY TO COMBAT SUCH A TERRIBLE, DEHUMANIZING
(HUHHHH!) SITUATION!!!

UP IN ARMS

A RIOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugo.

ron%brl-vgr@sri-unix.UUCP (01/26/84)

From:      Ron Natalie <ron@brl-vgr>

Has anyone received their February Byte yet?

  o o
   ^
\_____/

ciaraldi@Rochester.ARPA (01/27/84)

From:  Mike Ciaraldi <ciaraldi@Rochester.ARPA>

1) I am happy to hear that at least someone gets his Byte in a timely fashion.
This has been bugging me for years, less so now that I get so many
magazines I can't read them all anyway.
About four years ago, I complained to Carl Helmers when he was in town.
He didn't seem very interseted, and just said, "We send them to the
Post Office",  ask them.
I called the Byte subscription number, and they said,
"We send them to the POst Office and the newsstands the same day,
so it must be the mail's fault."
I asked the Post Office, and they said it probably did not take
two weeks to get from NH to NY every month.
2) Cancelling our subscriptions is somewhat like cutting
off noses to spite faces.

3) So, I suggest, we take a poll on when the, say February issue
shows up, then send the results to Byte, as J. Pournelle suggested.
Let's all be on the lookout for newsstand and subscription
copies. Has February Byte reached anyone yet?
What's on the cover?

Mike Ciaraldi,
ciaraldi@rochester

P.S. Every single person need not sennd mail. Maybe it shoukld
be tht the first one to see a newsstand copy in his or her
city should post, likewise the first sub,
then anyone who gets a sub copy more than a day or two later
could follow up with a message.
Hopefully, doing this ONCE will generate some statistics
without overloading the network.

ABN.ISCAMS%usc-isid@sri-unix.UUCP (01/27/84)

Now look, Ron -- don't go starting that up!  I've purged my poor overflowed
directory of 50 bloody Byte messages already.  So leave February alone already!

(Jeeeez!)

David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall

George.Wood%cmu-cs-a@sri-unix.UUCP (01/27/84)

Sorry; but I can't stand it either. It's January 26th and I STILL don't
have my January BYTE. JEP says the February issues have left the printers.

I think he missed the point about statistics: use the net for gathering
and reporting them to net users, and uSnail for reporting final results
to Byte, the post office, etc. But perhaps someone would volunteer to
accept all reports instead of clogging the net bb's, and compile a
report at the end of the month.
					George

abc%brl-bmd@sri-unix.UUCP (01/27/84)

From:      BRINT <abc@brl-bmd>

Has anyone received his/her IEEE Transactions on Computers for November
or December, 1983?

I have received Scientific American for February, 1984.

The NY Times Book Review for 29 January 1984 arrived the other day.

abc%brl-bmd@sri-unix.UUCP (01/27/84)

From:      postman <abc@brl-bmd>

----- Forwarded message # 1:

Date:     Thu, 26 Jan 84 14:15:57 EST
From:     Ron Natalie <ron@brl-vgr>
To:       ABN.ISCAMS@usc-isid
cc:       young@uci-750a, ciaraldi@rochester, info-cpm@brl, info-micro@brl, jpm@bnl,
          jpm@brl
Subject:  Re:  Byte finally showed up

----- Forwarded message # 2:

Date:     Thu, 26 Jan 84 14:15:57 EST
From:     Ron Natalie <ron@brl-vgr>
To:       ABN.ISCAMS@usc-isid

----- Forwarded message # 3:

Date: 26-Jan-84 15:09:39-EST
From: jpm@bnl
Subject: Late BYTE
To: Pourne@mit-mc, Info-Micro@brl

Since I was the one who started all this I feel I should be
the one to end it. I plan to write a letter of complaint to
Byte. Anybody else who has been getting theirs late should
do the same. Lets not fill the net with any more discussion
on the subject.

John McNamee		jpm@Bnl.Arpa

----- Forwarded message # 4:

Date: Thu 26 Jan 84 16:55:28-EST
From: Thomas S. Wanuga <WANUGA@MIT-XX.ARPA>
Subject: BYTE Delay
To: info-micro@BRL.ARPA

My roommate got his copy of the latest Newsweek in yesterday's mail.
Since there seems to be so much interest, would someone like to
organinze an INFO-MAGAZINE?
-------

----- Forwarded message # 5:

Date: 26 Jan 84 18:14:22 EST (Thu)
From: Mike Ciaraldi <ciaraldi@Rochester.ARPA>
To: ABN.ISCAMS@usc-isid.ARPA, ron@brl-vgr.ARPA
Cc: info-cpm@brl.ARPA, info-micro@brl.ARPA, jpm@bnl.ARPA, jpm@brl.ARPA,
    young@uci-750a.ARPA

----- Forwarded message # 6:

Date: 26 Jan 84 18:14:22 EST (Thu)
From: Mike Ciaraldi <ciaraldi@Rochester.ARPA>
To: ABN.ISCAMS@usc-isid.ARPA, ron@brl-vgr.ARPA
Cc: info-cpm@brl.ARPA, info-micro@brl.ARPA, jpm@bnl.ARPA, jpm@brl.ARPA,
    young@uci-750a.ARPA

----- Forwarded message # 7:

Date: 27 January 1984 03:19 EST
From: Jerry E. Pournelle <POURNE@mit-mc>
Subject:  Byte finally showed up
To: ciaraldi@rochester
cc: ABN.ISCAMS@usc-isid, info-cpm@brl, info-micro@brl, jpm@brl, jpm@bnl,
    young@uci-750a, ron@brl-vgr

1> I have Feb BYTE sent to me FEDEX from teh printer; the
editorial people got theirs also same way same time.
2. They should NOW be in Post Office.  Understand: the darned
things are so big that only a couple of printers in the country
can hanle them. I believe the printer we now use does also Sears
roebuck catalogs.
3. St atistcs posted on this net will do NO good.  LETTERS to
the editorial office -- to me for that matter -- will POSSIBLY
get some attention, possibly not.
4. Cancelling subscription seems drastic.  Who does better on
getting out that much data so regularly?

----- Forwarded message # 8:

Date: 27 Jan 1984 0017-PST
From: Chuck McManis <MCMANIS%USC-ECLC@sri-nic>
Subject: Late Bytes
To: info-micro@brl

Of course last I heard Byte had an account at Mit-Mc, so why not
redirect all current flaming on directly. Arm chair complainers
UNITE!
				--Chuck

P.S. Thats BYTE@MIT-MC for you arpa people Some!weird!address!at!ucb-vax!and!then!on!to!the!arpanet for usenet people :->

-------

----- Forwarded message # 9:

Date: 27 January 1984 03:19 EST
From: Jerry E. Pournelle <POURNE@mit-mc>
To: ciaraldi@rochester

----- Forwarded message # 10:

Date: 27 Jan 84 0410 EST (Friday)
From: George.Wood@cmu-cs-a
To: ABN.ISCAMS@usc-isid, ciaraldi@rochester
CC: info-cpm@brl, info-micro@brl, POURNE@mit-mc

----- Forwarded message # 11:

Date: 27 Jan 84 0410 EST (Friday)
From: George.Wood@cmu-cs-a
To: ABN.ISCAMS@usc-isid, ciaraldi@rochester

----- End of forwarded messages

young%uci-750a@sri-unix.UUCP (02/01/84)

From:  Michal Young <young@uci-750a>

When I lived in Oregon, my Byte consistently showed up about one
week after it was on the newsstand.  (Since moving I haven't
noticed when it hits the newsstands.)

The net traffic on this seems to indicate a lot of people dissatisfied
with Byte subscription service.  Is some concerted action appropriate?
Any ideas?

--Michal Young, young@uci