[comp.theory] Novice question about monotonic/continuous functions

bevan@cs.man.ac.uk (Stephen J Bevan) (06/17/91)

I'm currently reading a book on category theory, and in the initial
chapters it goes through some mathematical structures that can be
represented as categories such as :- semigroups, monoids, posets, ...
etc.

I have read about these in various guises before (courses on algebra,
denotational semantics), but never fully understood them (I'm a poor
CS type not a mathematical person :-), but I thought that as they are
appearing yet again, I'd make a more concerted effort.

Anyway, my problem (for today :-) is that I can't think of a function
on a CPO (complete partial order) that is monotonic but is _not_
continuous.  (I once asked this question to the person teaching the
denotational semantics course and was told `Er, um, see me next time')

Now there must be some as every book I've read defines what a monotone
function is and then goes on to define a continuous one.  However,
I've yet to see one that gives any decent examples!

So, can anybody help me with my (hopefully simple) question and also
point me at a book/report/paper that explains these sorts of things
and actually has some examples to go along with the (dry) definitions!

Stephen J. Bevan			bevan@cs.man.ac.uk

PS. Just in case anybody is wondering :- this is not home/course work

libkin@saul.cis.upenn.edu (Leonid Libkin) (06/17/91)

In article <BEVAN.91Jun16180108@panda.cs.man.ac.uk> bevan@cs.man.ac.uk (Stephen J Bevan) writes:

>Anyway, my problem (for today :-) is that I can't think of a function
>on a CPO (complete partial order) that is monotonic but is _not_
>continuous.

You can't find such an example unless your cpo has infinite ascending
chains. If it has, the example is straightforward. Consider N (natural
numbers) as a chain and add the top element T. Now, the function
f: N union {T} ---> {0,1}  (where 0 < 1, of course) given by
f(n) = 0 if n \in N and f(T) = 1 is monotone (obvious) but not
continuous: f(supN) = f(T) = 1, but supf(n) = 0.

>So, can anybody help me with my (hopefully simple) question and also
>point me at a book/report/paper that explains these sorts of things
>and actually has some examples to go along with the (dry) definitions!

I think Gunter and Scott's recent survey in the Handbook on theoretical
comp sci has this example or somewhat similar.

>Stephen J. Bevan			bevan@cs.man.ac.uk
>
>PS. Just in case anybody is wondering :- this is not home/course work

Leonid
libkin@saul.cis.upenn.edu

stark@sbstark (Eugene Stark) (06/21/91)

>Anyway, my problem (for today :-) is that I can't think of a function
>on a CPO (complete partial order) that is monotonic but is _not_
>continuous.  (I once asked this question to the person teaching the
>denotational semantics course and was told `Er, um, see me next time')

Perhaps part of the problem is that every monotone function to a finite
partial order is automatically continuous.  Thus, you need to think about
infinite examples.  Try the following:  Let N = {0, 1, 2, ... } be the
natural numbers (with the usual ordering), let N+ denote N u {t}, where
"t" is a new element ("top"), which we make greater than all the elements
of N.  Also, let N++ denote N+ u {t'}, where "t'" is a new top element
added in the same way.  Diagramatically:

	N+:  0 <= 1 <= 2 <= ... <= t
	N++: 0 <= 1 <= 2 <= ... <= t <= t'

Both N+ and N++ (but not N) are CPO's.  Consider the function f: N+ -> N++
that takes an ordinary natural number n to itself, but takes "t" to "t'".
Then f is monotone, but it is not continuous.

>So, can anybody help me with my (hopefully simple) question and also
>point me at a book/report/paper that explains these sorts of things
>and actually has some examples to go along with the (dry) definitions!

An old, but still good book is "Denotational Semantics" by J. Stoy, published
by MIT press.  Or, try "Denotational Semantics" by D. Schmidt (I forget the
publisher at the moment).  Or, "Foundations of Program Verification" by
J. Loeckx and K. Sieber.

							- Gene Stark