Date: Sun, 13 Aug 89 00:22:30 bst
From: The Moderator (Stephen Page) <music-research-request@uk.ac.oxford.prg>
Subject: Administrivia: MIDI filespec
To: music-research

The Usenet feed which takes copies of this digest has been bombarded with
repeated requests for notes on the MIDI file format. To save this wasted
mail traffic, would readers please note that this document has for some
time been available in the archives of the Music-Research Digest.

For information on how to use the Archives, mail a message containing
"help" at the beginning of a line to archive-server@uk.ac.oxford.prg
(in the UK) or archive-server@bartok.sun.com (elsewhere).

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 08 Aug 89 13:35:33 GMT
From: Schaffrath <JMP100@EARN.DE0HRZ1A>
Subject: ASCII music notation - ESAC
To: Stephen Page <SDPAGE@UK.AC.OX.PRG>

If it is not late to join the discussion, I would like to mention
ESAC (Essen Associative Code) again, which is totally based on ASCII-
code and could simply be written by any typewriter. As long as one-part
melodies are concerned it is also easy to read. Any East- and Southeast-
Asien musician can sightread it from the screen.
There goes a new software packet with it which is from now on public
domain. MAPPET should be read Music Analysis Playin, Playback of ESAC
Transcriptions. As you can play melodies in which are automatically
translated into ESAC, you will know that we certainly use MIDI-Codes.
But to store them is even more clumsy for one-part melodies than DARMS.

The next issue of our INFO will contain a short description including a
licence agreement which we want everyone to sign who wants to have a copy.
I guess the INFO will also be printed in the Music Research Digest.
There are also nearly 6000 German folksongs documented and encoded in
ESAC (which are public domain now) and 1700 Chinese Folksongs (which are
not free yet).
To give you an idea of the ASCII-code I'll add two versions of a well-
known Mexican song:
TEST
CUT CUCA 1
REG Amerika, Mittelamerika, Mexiko
KEY T0008  08  F 3/4
MEL -5-5-5  1_3-5-5-5  1_3__
      11-7-7-6-6  -5_.
    -5-5-5  -7_2-5-5-5  -7_2__
      565432  1__0_
    -5-51133  5_3__
      565435  4_2__
    -5-5-7-722  4_2__
      565432  3_1 //
FKT Kinder - Lied]

TEST
CUT CUCA 2
REG Amerika, Mittelamerika, Mexiko
KEY T0008A 08  F 4/4
MEL 0-5-5-5  10_30-5-5-5  10_30__
     01_1-7-7-6-6  -5__
    0-5-5-5  -70_20-5-5-5  -70_20__
     05_65432  3_.10__
    0-5_-51133  5_.3__~
    05_65435  4_.2__~
    0-5_-5-7-722  4_.2__~
    05_65432  3_.1__~ //
FKT Kinder - Lied

Everyone is welcome to receive further information.
Helmut Schaffrath, Univ. of Essen, FRG

------------------------------

Date: 7 Aug 89 14:07:34 GMT
From: Chip Morris <soi!chip@edu.harvard.husc6>
Subject: Markovian Music
To: music-research@uk.ac.oxford.prg

scott@heim.uucp (Scotty) writes:

>In other words, has anyone done an analysis of
>the probability of any particular note (tone/duration) givin any N
>previous notes?

There is a commercial program for the Macintosh, I believe it is "Jam
Session", that does just this.  You can vary the depth of the
analysis, but it does allow you to write melodies in someones "style".

--
Chip Morris, Senior Engineer
US Mail:  Software Options, Inc., 22 Hilliard St., Cambridge MA 02138

------------------------------

Date: 8 Aug 89 04:54:21 GMT
From: Joel Swan <brutus.cs.uiuc.edu!wuarchive!swbatl!texbell!vector!attctc!jolnet!swan@edu.ohio-state.cis.tut>
To: music-research@uk.ac.oxford.prg

There is a piece of software for the Amiga called "M."  I've heard
wonderful things about it.  I don't know if it can also use the
Markovian method, but I suspect that may be one of its many options.
It allows one to do analysis and composition based on a number of variables.
I'm not familiar enough to answer any specific questions about it, but
someone in comp.sys.amiga may.  So far M has had pretty good reviews.

------------------------------

Date: 8 Aug 89 12:49:32 GMT
From: "Michael D. Ketchen" <leah!rpi!pawl24.pawl.rpi.edu!mketch@edu.uwm.csd4>
To: music-research@uk.ac.oxford.prg

M is not really a music analysis program so much as it is a composition aid.
It uses random processes to alter your musical data according to several
variables (note density, rhythm, amount of randomness, etc.) that the user
can set.  You can use it to add a "human" feel to your music, to experiment
with different musical ideas, or just to play around.  It's a very powerful
composition tool.  However, I don't think it has any features for music
analysis.  (I used it last semester in a class with the guy who designed
the program, and both from his descriptions of the program and my use of it,
I don't see how one could use it for analysis.)

- Mike

------------------------------

Date: 11 Aug 89 12:55:12 GMT
From: John Boggs <inco!jboggs@net.uu.uunet>
To: music-research@uk.ac.oxford.prg

Voyetra Technologies, distributers of the Sequencer Plus series of IBM PC
based software sequencers, also sells a version of "M" for the PC called,
strangely enough, "M-PC".  I don't know any more about it than that.  For
an address Voyetra advertises in Keyboard Magazine every month.

--
John Boggs

McDonnell Douglas Electronic Systems Company
McLean, Virginia, USA

End of Music-Research Digest