Date: 14 AUG 89 11:40 CET
From: U7F01AA@EARN.DM0LRZ01
Subject: ascii music notation
To: MUSIC-RESEARCH@UK.AC.OXFORD.PRG

ASCII music notation languages

Adding to what has been said before, I am aware of the following Ascii
music notation systems:

Music-V family score notation, e.g. CMusic, Music-11, CSound (kind  of
     "score assemblers")
SCORE language by Leland Smith: ASCII input to Music-V family
SCORE music notation package on the IBM-PC by L. Smith and Perry
     Devine
SCORE-11: Port of SCORE to the PDP-11 by A. Brinkman/Eastman: Input to
     Music-11 and CSound
CScore by B. Vercoe/MIT: Input to CSound/Music-11
Adadio  from the CMU Toolkit (adding to what Dean Rubine said in  #43,
the CMU Toolkit is also available for the Atari, from the CDP/York)

Interface programs:
Midirecord   &  Midiplay  by  Andrew  Bentley/Nottingham.   Midirecord
converts  Midi to Music-11/CSound; Midiplay plays  Music-11/CSound  to
Midi. Available from the CDP/York or probably from Andrew
(Andrew_Bentley@uk.ac.nott.ccc.vme (Janet))
S11input  by  Stefan Kohler and myself: Graphical/Midi  front-end  for
SCORE  and Music-11/CSound on the Atari. (Available from the  CDP/York
or from us).

To  Mark Gresham's request for a stand-alone program to play SCORE  to
Midi (#45): SCORE files can be translated by Score-11 to Music-11, and
then  played by A. Bentley's Midiplay. So currently with a PDP-11  and
an  Atari  you can do the trick. A port of Score-11 to  the  Atari  is
promised...

Hans Strasburger, Munich

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Aug 89 10:17:35 EDT
From: Scott Horne <horne-scott@edu.yale>
Subject: ASCII music notation - ESAC
To: music-research <music-research%bartok@com.sun>

I'm interested in those 1700 Chinese folk songs.  Please send me information
when they become free.  Advance thanks.

					All the best,
					Scott

Scott Horne                     Undergraduate programmer, Yale CS Dept Facility
horne@cs.Yale.edu                         ...!{harvard,cmcl2,decvax}!yale!horne
Home: 203 789-0877     SnailMail:  Box 7196 Yale Station, New Haven, CT   06520
Work: 203 432-1260              Summer residence:  175 Dwight St, New Haven, CT
Dare I speak for the amorphous gallimaufry of intellectual thought called Yale?

------------------------------

Date: 15 Aug 89 17:04:08 GMT
From: "Michael D. Ketchen" <gem.mps.ohio-state.edu!rpi!pawl24.pawl.rpi.edu!mketch@edu.ohio-state.cis.tut>
Subject: Looking for MIDI software to gen score
To: music-research@uk.ac.oxford.prg

In article <209@bulus3.BMA.COM> haugen@bulus3.BMA.COM (John M. Haugen) writes:
>Our church has a rather talented music director who can sit down at his
>keyboard and play original accompaniments to songs used in our service.  Is
>there any software that could use the MIDI interface on the keyboard to
>generate the musical score for the music being played?

Finale, by Coda, is the most powerful music transcription program on the
market.  Unfortunately, it is also the most expensive ($1000).  You can play
on the MIDI keyboard, and Finale will convert it into a quite accurate score.
Finale is available for the Macintosh and IBM PC compatibles.

For about the same price, you can get Performer (a sequencer) and Professional
Composer (a music scoring program), both by Mark of the Unicorn, for the
Macintosh.  You can play things into Performer, then use Composer to generate
the score.  Composer isn't quite as powerful at transcription, but you'll get
Performer, which is a first-rate sequencer, to boot.

- Mike
--

------------------------------

Date: 13 Aug 89 04:01:43 GMT
From: Micha Berger <dasys1!aj-mberg@edu.nyu>
Subject: Markovian Music
To: music-research@uk.ac.oxford.prg

Yes, this has been discussed by Martin Gardner when he had his column in
SciAm, and by Douglas Hostadter when he got his hands on the space.
--
					Micha Berger

End of Music-Research Digest