[comp.music] Electronic Music Digest EM890801

EHARNDEN@AUVM.BITNET (Eric Harnden) (08/19/89)

Electronic Music Digest EM890801       August 1, 1989
    Editor: Eric Harnden
            EHARNDEN@AUVM

    Today:

                        Letter From The Editor
                            Summer Courses
                              Roland D-50
                              smpte etc.
                 Module replacement for a Roland JX3P?
                         Deadline approaching
                            PS/2 Model 50Z
                          Re: PS/2 Model 50Z
                               Tablature
                         Scanning Music scores
                          RE: PS/2 Model 50Z

This Digest is extracted from the discussion group EMUSIC-L, hosted by
LISTSERV@AUVM.  To subscribe to this  Digest,  send  the  command  SUB
EMUSIC-D  YOUR  NAME to LISTERV@AUVM.  If you wish to take part in the
original discussion, subscribe instead to EMUSIC-L.

FROM: Eric Harnden, The Editor
SUBJECT: ON LINE AGAIN

    Hi there. Sorry this has taken so long to get out. For the past
several weeks, my position here at the university has been in a state
of flux. My status has now stabilized. I am no longer a full time
staff member at AU, but will be teaching as adjunct faculty. I have
another full time job elsewhere. The administration here has agreed to
let me continue this and the other groups that I moderate. I will
spending the next week getting out the backlog, after which I will
return to more normal, regular operation.
    This is also the first issue of this Digest to be posted to the
Internet (or is Usenet?) newsgroups Alt.Emusic and Comp.Music.  I
will, at times, pull interesting material from those groups, digest
them, and post the results both here and to the regular discussion
group.
    It's good to be back alive. Be seeing you.

------------------------------
Date:         Mon, 3 Jul 89 18:31:00 N
From:         MUSIC01@UNIPAD.INFN.IT
Subject:      Summer Courses

The Centro di Sonologia Computazionale of the University of Padua
(Italy) organizes its summer courses of Computer Music. All courses
are in italian, except Mr Dashow's (composition and synthesis of
musical events using Music360 language) in english and italian. The
price of subscription to the courses is in italian lire. Futhermore
informations can be obtained contacting our Centre.

The calendar follows:

CENTRO DI SONOLOGIA COMPUTAZIONALE
UNIVERSITA' DI PADOVA
CORSI DI INFORMATICA MUSICALE 1989

Sede e segreteria operativa: C. S. C.       Tel. 049/8750477
                                                     8753512
                                            Via S. Francesco 11
                                            35121 PADOVA

26  - 30 giugno        TECNICHE E METODI DELLA MUSICA INFORMATICA
                       Docenti:   F.  Cappello  -  G. De Poli   -
                       B.   Fagarazzi - R. Doati - M.  Graziani -
                       G. Tisato -A. Vidolin  - F. Villa
                       Quota di iscrizione: 200.000 (soci AIMI)
                                            300.000 (non soci)

3  - 7 luglio          COMPOSIZIONE E SINTESI:
                       LA  PROGETTAZIONE DI EVENTI MUSICALI
                       Docente: J. Dashow
                       Quota di iscrizione: 300.000 (soci AIMI)
                                            400.000 (non soci)

17 - 21 luglio         PROGETTAZIONE E SINTESI:
                       LABORATORIO MUSIC 5
                       Docenti: B. Fagarazzi - A. Provaglio
                       Quota di iscrizione: 300.000 (soci AIMI)
                                            400.000 (non soci)

24 - 28 luglio         CAMPIONAMENTO E ELABORAZIONE NUMERICA  DEI
                       SUONI
                       Docenti: M. Graziani - G. Tisato
                       Quota di iscrizione: 300.000 (soci AIMI)
                                            400.000 (non soci)

11 - 15 settembre      ELABORAZIONE DELLA VOCE NELLA MUSICA
                       INFORMATICA
                       Docenti:G. Tisato-G.A. Mian- A. Provaglio
                       Quota di iscrizione: 300.000 (soci AIMI)
                                            400.000 (non soci)

18 - 22 settembre      AMBIENTI ESECUTIVI E SISTEMI IN TEMPO REALE
                       Docenti: F. Cappello - P. Balladore
                       Quota di iscrizione: 300.000 (soci AIMI)
                                            400.000 (non soci)

20 - 23 novembre       CORSO DI AGGIORNAMENTO IN INFORMATICA
                       MUSICALE
                       (il personale direttivo e docente delle
                        scuole e' esentato dall'insegnamento)
                       Docenti:R. Doati- M. Graziani- G. Tisato
                               F. Villa
                       Quota di iscrizione: 200.000

------------------------------
Date:         Thu, 6 Jul 89 15:37:09 BST
From:         Nick Rothwell <nick@LFCS.ED.AC.UK>
Subject:      Roland D-50
              27 Jun 89 07:23:00 EST <1411.8906271238@lfcs.ed.ac.uk

>Well, I don't like it much.  I guess I'm a musical clod, but my tastes run
>to the classical and new age, and the D-50 does not seem to have many
>patches amenable to those kinds of music.  The keyboard operates
>beautifully, and the programmer is very nice, too.  The bottom line is,
>though, I like thick, rich sounds and the LA synthesis just does not
>produce them as well as my Juno 2.

I think you're judging it a little too quickly. The D-50 isn't quite
as rich as a true analog, I agree, but I think the internal effects
compensate for this, and it can do some beautiful orchestral and
atmospheric timbres. I have some lovely Jupiter Strings patches which
I use all the time.
   I'll try to get my D-50 patch banks (approx 20 of them) online as
soon as I'm over my LA->UK Jetlag... BinHex or uuencode?
   Anybody want comments about the Oberheim Cyclone "MIDI Performance
Arpeggiator"?

		Nick.
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!nick

------------------------------
Date:         Thu, 6 Jul 89 16:11:23 BST
From:         Nick Rothwell <nick@LFCS.ED.AC.UK>
Subject:      smpte etc.
              28 Jun 89 10:14:00 EST <4826.8906281822@lfcs.ed.ac.uk

>So what the heck does the Midiman do?  Basically, it turns any ordinary
>cassette player into a sequencer, or more acurately, a sequence player.
>It records MIDI data from a real sequencer (your home computer) directly
>onto tape.

This is a very useful facility. It means that, for example, you can
use a computer-based sequencer, dump a song onto tape in MIDI form,
and then run a voice editor on the computer to alter some of the
sounds while the song is playing back. Of course, if MIDI systems on
computers were TRULY integrated there would be no need for this...
   I don't trust cassette tape for anything really critical like live
sequences (although, perhaps Midiman has error correction...?), so I'm
going to investigate the Elka CR-99. Essentially the same
functionality, but using 3.5" floppies, which gives you random access
between songs (although not within songs, although you can "fast-
wind"). It has tempo control and overdubbing, all in the MIDI domain,
of course. It only has a single MIDI in, with the two MIDI-outs being
copies; this is a shame, because I'm currently using about 20 MIDI
channels from my Mac.
   I'm still finding my way around the Cyclone, but I expect that it
will sync to MIDI clock messages without too much hassle. I've already
had it running the other way, with Performer (version 3.0 - anybody
want a review?) slaved to the Cyclone. Our live set-up will probably
involve sequences and clock info playing back from a CR-99 or
something like it, and live play from keyboards, possibly into the
Cyclone which is sync'ed to the sequencer clock.
   has anybody heard of the Alesis Datadisk? Sounds like another of
the same to me...?

		Nick.

------------------------------
Date:         Thu, 6 Jul 89 17:00:23 EDT
From:         Dan Bornstein <DANFUZZ@BROWNVM>
Subject:      Module replacement for a Roland JX3P?

Does anyone know if there is a tone module (i.e. tone generator, no
keyboard) that has the same patch scheme as a Roland JX3P (or JX8P
too, I believe they're the same). I have a JX3P and want to get a
better keyboard, but I'm attached to the sounds of the synth. So, I'm
looking for a module I can buy that will generate 3P-style sounds,
freeing me to get a new keyboard. Any suggestions?  Thanks!

-dan

Bitnet:    danfuzz@brownvm
Internet:  danfuzz@brownvm.brown.edu
AppleTalk: Find me a long enough cable and I'll see what we can do.

------------------------------
Date:         Fri, 7 Jul 89 11:59:22 EDT
From:         Cecilia Tan <ST902235@BROWNVM>
Subject:      Deadline approaching

Hello, it's me again.  Just a reminder that I need all your submissions for
   the emusic-l compiliation tape by August 1st.  I don't mean in the mail on
      that day, I mean in my mailbox.  Thus far we have accumulated about 20-
         25 minutes of music, some of which is mine. (I spent about four hours
            working on a piece last night which will be about 4 mn. long)

So crank up your sequencers, your LFOs and fm tones and make some NOISE!

It would be nice to get a note once in a while, too, about how things are
   going...

-cecilia  (ps.  please cc: any mail to me to st501220 at brownvm also, since
                  the death of my account is imminent)

------------------------------
Date:         Mon, 10 Jul 89 14:11:00 EST
From:         CHAOS INCARNATE <DKRAUS@FORDMURH>
Subject:      PS/2 Model 50Z

Does anyone know where I might find a MIDI interface for a Model
50Z?
Thanks,

Dan Kraus
DKRAUS@FORDMURH

------------------------------
Date:         Mon, 10 Jul 89 14:23:49 EDT
From:         "Kevin R. Weiner" <KRW1@LEHIGH>
Subject:      Re: PS/2 Model 50Z

Roland finally announced an MPU-compatible MIDI interface for the
Micro Channel, but it may be several months until it is available.
Best to check with a Roland dealer.  If you can't wait, KEE's Midiator
uses the machine's serial interface, but has limited software
availability.

Kevin Weiner   Lehigh University Computing Center   (215) 758-3991

------------------------------
Date:         Mon, 10 Jul 89 16:14:59 EDT
From:         "Kevin R. Weiner" <KRW1@LEHIGH>
Subject:      Tablature

Does anyone have experience with a PC-based scoring program which
handles guitar tablature as well as standard notation?

Date:         Mon, 10 Jul 89 11:23:00 EST
From:         219 DAN MANDELL 284-4610 <XLYKN8@IRISHMVS>
Subject:      Scanning Music scores

A musician friend has asked me to determine
1) whether the capability exists to scan musical scores.
2) whether there are accepted standards (redundant?) for storing
   such data...(Midi???)
3) whether folks are working on the problem...
Dan Mandell
University of Notre Dame
xlykn8@irishmvs

------------------------------
Date:         Tue, 11 Jul 89 08:29:00 EDT
From:         "Dr. DOS" <GOODWIN@SMCVAX>

I thought this was probably of general interest, so I replied here
instead of directly.  Dan Kraus asked about Microchannel PS/2 MIDI
interfaces recently.

At the last NAMM show, Roland announced a Microchannel MPU-401.  No
delivery date was given, but I'd guess Fall sometime.  I've no idea on
pricing either.  KEE Industries makes the Midiator, which is a serial
port-based interface which is unfortunately incompatible with most
MIDI software.

If it were me, I think I'd wait a bit and see if Roland actually gets
the MPU-IMC (I think that's the designation) out the door in a timely
manner.

Dave Goodwin
GOODWIN@SMCVAX