Date: Thu, 17 Aug 89 02:57 EDT
From: FINEART@edu.umass.ecs
Subject: Generative grammer to produce Bach?
To: music-research <music-research%bartok@com.sun>

I've heard rumars that someone has developed a generative grammar that
produces musical scores that have some stylistic similarity with Bach.
Can you tell me who this is, and how I can contact them?

- Ray Lauzzana

------------------------------

Date: 16 Aug 89 16:01:02 GMT
From: Mike Seyfrit <zephyr.ens.tek.com!tektronix!sequent!mes@net.uu.uunet>
Subject: Looking for MIDI software to gen score
To: music-research@uk.ac.oxford.prg

Just a note:  the price for Finale has been recently reduced, I think
it is now $599, quite a decrease from the original $1000.  The packaging
is a bit different, and they don't supply the promotional (one can't really
say "educational") video tape any more, but the program is the same.
I, for one, recommend it to those who
  1.  want to control very many aspects of the score
  2.  understand music well.
  3.  know how they want things to look
I wouldn't recommend it for the more casual user.  It takes some effort
to learn, and is a bit daunting at first.  I, however, would never want
to be without it again.  I've just finished about 300 pages of score
that would have taken me at least 6 months longer to do if I had to copy
it by hand.  The proofeading is much better (via playing it back) and
the copy is easily readable (there is a strong prejudice against reading
manuscript parts by many performers).  I use it every day, and am glad
to have given up my osmiroid and rapidograph pens!

--
  ===== Mike Seyfrit  phone:503-241-4121       | \ mail:625 NW Everett #228 =
        net:{uunet,sun,tektronix)!sequent!mes  |  \     Portland, OR, 97209 =

------------------------------

Date: 16 AUG 89 18:16 CET
From: U7F01AM@EARN.DM0LRZ01
Subject: Markovian Music
To: MUSIC-RESEARCH@UK.AC.OXFORD.PRG

>Markovian Music

"M" and "Jam Session", by "Intelligent Music" are extensively described
sometime ago in the Computer Music Journal. The programs are available
for the Mac, Amiga, Atari, and, it seems, the PC.

Hans Strasburger

End of Music-Research Digest