[comp.music] Markovian Music

scott@heim.uucp (Scotty) (08/04/89)

Well, it's time for "one of those questions" again...

Is anyone reading this familiar with work done in the Markovian properties
of music?
In other words, has anyone done an analysis of the probability of any
particular note (tone/duration) givin any N previous notes?
This kind of analysis might be done for any one piece or composer for example,
and it is *possible* that playing notes generated from such a table may produce
a sequence which sounds like the piece or composer...
I'm sure this is well trodden ground.. could somebody point me in the right
direction?
Thank you for your time -

--
Scott Watson - "Inane little message goes here"
    uucp: {rutgers,ames}!elroy!grian!heim!scott

jakob@nada.kth.se (Jakob Cederlund) (08/04/89)

I've dunnit. Using a simple BASIC program I generated a new tune given
an existing one. I only used monophonic tunes, and the result wasn't
very interesting; it just sounded like a small variation of the
original tune.

I got some rather simple  correlations: the more indices in the matrix
(=number of preceding notes), the closer the result was to the
original tune. Also, the longer the tune, the more alike were the
result.

Any others who've tried Markovian music-generation?

/Jakob Cederlund       jakob@nada.kth.se
Computer Science Dept. Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden

eiverson@nmsu.edu (Eric Iverson) (08/05/89)

I have an article somewhere that wasgested sug to me by Charles Dodge in
which some researchers used a 1/f1 fractal waveform to generate music.
When they played it for people the general reaction was that it was
music, albeit not exciting music.  Tthen went on to analyze several
hours of commercial radio transmission and found that it too had this
1/f1 relationship.  Anybody know more about this and how it might be
coupled with a Markovian approach?

scott@heim.uucp (Scotty) (08/07/89)

In article <1389@draken.nada.kth.se> jakob@nada.kth.se (Jakob Cederlund) writes:
>I've dunnit. Using a simple BASIC program I generated a new tune given
>an existing one. I only used monophonic tunes, and the result wasn't
>very interesting; it just sounded like a small variation of the
>original tune.
>
>I got some rather simple  correlations: the more indices in the matrix
>(=number of preceding notes), the closer the result was to the
>original tune. Also, the longer the tune, the more alike were the
>result.

What happens if you feed it the multiple works of a composor? Hopefully,
the end result would be something where small segments where more or less
played verbatim from the source material, but, would make (more or less)
reasonable transitions between them?

In your BASIC attempt (no pun intended), I suppose you used the note and
duration as the key features your analysis? Is this correct? Could you post
this program to the newsgroup?

--

chip@soi.UUCP (Chip Morris) (08/07/89)

scott@heim.uucp (Scotty) writes:

>In other words, has anyone done an analysis of
>the probability of any particular note (tone/duration) givin any N
>previous notes?

There is a commercial program for the Macintosh, I believe it is "Jam
Session", that does just this.  You can vary the depth of the
analysis, but it does allow you to write melodies in someones "style".

--
Chip Morris, Senior Engineer
US Mail:  Software Options, Inc., 22 Hilliard St., Cambridge MA 02138

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (08/08/89)

In article <497@heim.uucp> scott@heim.UUCP (Scotty) writes:
>In other words, has anyone done an analysis of the probability of any
>particular note (tone/duration) givin any N previous notes?
>Scott Watson - "Inane little message goes here"
>    uucp: {rutgers,ames}!elroy!grian!heim!scott
>Internet: scott@heim.UUCP
There is a piece of software for the Amiga called "M."  I've heard
wonderful things about it.  I don't know if it can also use the
Markovian method, but I suspect that may be one of its many options.
It allows one to do analysis and composition based on a number of variables.
I'm not familiar enough to answer any specific questions about it, but
someone in comp.sys.amiga may.  So far M has had pretty good reviews.

--
 - Joel E. Swan
[  swan@jolnet.UUCP                   <>  PLINK ID: Amiga*joel         ]

mketch@pawl.rpi.edu (Michael D. Ketchen) (08/08/89)

In article <1273@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> swan@jolnet.UUCP (Joel Swan) writes:
>There is a piece of software for the Amiga called "M."  I've heard
>wonderful things about it.  I don't know if it can also use the
>Markovian method, but I suspect that may be one of its many options.
>It allows one to do analysis and composition based on a number of variables.
>I'm not familiar enough to answer any specific questions about it, but
>someone in comp.sys.amiga may.  So far M has had pretty good reviews.

M is not really a music analysis program so much as it is a composition aid.
It uses random processes to alter your musical data according to several
variables (note density, rhythm, amount of randomness, etc.) that the user
can set.  You can use it to add a "human" feel to your music, to experiment
with different musical ideas, or just to play around.  It's a very powerful
composition tool.  However, I don't think it has any features for music
analysis.  (I used it last semester in a class with the guy who designed
the program, and both from his descriptions of the program and my use of it,
I don't see how one could use it for analysis.)

- Mike
--

jboggs@inco.UUCP (John Boggs) (08/11/89)

In article <1273@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> swan@jolnet.UUCP (Joel Swan) writes:
>There is a piece of software for the Amiga called "M."  I've heard
>wonderful things about it.  I don't know if it can also use the
>Markovian method, but I suspect that may be one of its many options.
>It allows one to do analysis and composition based on a number of variables.
>I'm not familiar enough to answer any specific questions about it, but
>someone in comp.sys.amiga may.  So far M has had pretty good reviews.

Voyetra Technologies, distributers of the Sequencer Plus series of IBM PC
based software sequencers, also sells a version of "M" for the PC called,
strangely enough, "M-PC".  I don't know any more about it than that.  For
an address Voyetra advertises in Keyboard Magazine every month.

--
John Boggs

McDonnell Douglas Electronic Systems Company
McLean, Virginia, USA

aj-mberg@dasys1.UUCP (Micha Berger) (08/13/89)

Yes, this has been discussed by Martin Gardner when he had his column in
SciAm, and by Douglas Hostadter when he got his hands on the space.
--
					Micha Berger

"Always should [the child of] Adam have awe of G-d in secret and in public,
admit the truth, and speak truth in his heart."

rnm@well.UUCP (Robert Marsanyi) (08/23/89)

re: Markovian analysis
There's a nice PD package by Nick Didkovsky written in JForth for the Amiga
that'll take an smus file(s), generate an analysis/synthesis of new material
using a 1-degree Markov table and spit it out as smus, rendering it usable
with many other Amiga packages.
mail me for more info, anyone who's interested.
rnm@well
sysop, HMSL Forum (415) 928 8246

ps: this has been the subject of many experiments and pieces using HMSL, the
Hierarchical Music Specification Language, on the Mac and Amiga.