Date: Fri, 1 Sep 89 09:49:50 +0300
From: <karit@UUCP.HUTMC>
Subject: Generative grammar to produce Bach?
To: Music-Research@UK.AC.OXFORD.PRG

  A context-sensitive self-learning grammar (called Dynamically
Expanding Context) has been developed by Teuvo Kohonen from
Helsinki University of Technology.
This grammar learns its production rules automatically from
examples and optimizes the length of context for each
production rule on the basis of conflicts occurring in the
source material. It has been applied to the generation of new
melodic passages and counterpoint according to the style of the
source material.
  It has been published in the proceedings of the IJCNN
(International Joint Conference on Neural networks), Washington D.C.,
June 18-22, 1989, Vol. 1, pp. 1-5 as "A Self-Learning Musical Grammar,
or 'Associative Memory of the Second Kind' ".
  Reprints can be asked by e-mail (karit@hutmc.hut.fi) or from
prof. Kohonen or me from the address below.

Kari Torkkola, Helsinki University of Technology, Lab. of Information
and Computer Science, TKK-F, Rakentajanaukio 2C, 02150 Espoo, FINLAND.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 89 17:21:31 EDT
From: Andy Bourgeois <HABOURG@EARN.BROWNVM>
Subject: Markovian Music
To: MUSIC-RESEARCH@UK.AC.OXFORD.PRG

There's a chapter (or at least a section) devoted to Markov chains in
Iannis Xennakis's "Formal Music" which may be of help in developing a
program.

------------------------------

Date: 1 Sep 89 20:30:53 GMT
From: jdm <hodge!jdm@net.uu.uunet>
Subject: Need info about U of Delaware's GUIDO hard/software
To: music-research@uk.ac.oxford.prg

	A university local to me has just started using the GUIDO ear-training
	software with a MIDI setup for their musicianship classes.  I noted
	that the version of the program was V1.0 and that it was put
	out by the University of Delaware, but no address or phone number was
	given.   The text also mentioned that as a cheaper alternative to
	MIDI or the IBM Music Feature Adapter is a polyphonic sound generator
	board created specifically for GUIDO (and the PC) also put out by
	the U of Delaware.  However, no information was given on prices or
	where to purchase.

	If anyone has the address/phone number of the U of D, or knows where
	I can buy this hard/software please email me.  If anyone has a used
	GUIDO sound board they'd want to sell (hopefully with a programmer's
	manual), that'd be even better.  If you don't know any of this
	information, but you have used GUIDO yourself drop me some email
	telling what you think of it.

--

"I'm an anthropologist, not a computer systems architect, damit!"

jdm@hodge.cts.com [uunet zardoz crash]!hodge!jdm

James D. Murray, Ethnounixologist	TEL: (714) 998-7750 Ext. 129
Hodge Computer Research Corporation	FAX: (714) 921-8038
1588 North Batavia Street
Orange, California 92667  USA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 Aug 89 12:14:15 GMT
From: Schaffrath <JMP100@EARN.DE0HRZ1A>
Subject: Note on ESAC-Chinese
To: Stephen Page <SDPAGE@UK.AC.OX.PRG>

The following answer to one of your readers was not accepted in Yale.
Can you just forward it?
(I meant the pun, by the way ...)
The 1700 Chinese folk songs are subject of analytical studies until
perhaps 1991. They will be public as soon as the Chinese partners
have accepted and controlled or methods.
Helmut Schaffrath

End of Music-Research Digest