[comp.music] Machine-readable JSBach?

ji@read.cs.columbia.edu (John Ioannidis) (09/06/89)

[[I had posted a similar request to rec.music.classical a few months
ago and all I got was one answer along the lines of ``good luck''.
This is hopefully a more appropriate forum.]]

Does anyone have or know where I can find scores of Johann Sebastian
Bach works in machine-readable form? I'm particularly interested in the
WTK, the organ preludes/tocattas and fugues and the Art of the Fugue.

Thanks in advance,

/ji

In-Real-Life: John Ioannidis   | Science is to Computer Science as
E-Mail-To: ji@cs.columbia.edu  | Hydrodynamics is to Plumbing

			... It's all Greek to me!

bradr@bartok.Sun.COM (Brad Rubenstein) (09/08/89)

In article <6485@columbia.edu> ji@read.cs.columbia.edu (John Ioannidis) writes:
>Does anyone have or know where I can find scores of Johann Sebastian
>Bach works in machine-readable form? I'm particularly interested in the
>WTK, the organ preludes/tocattas and fugues and the Art of the Fugue.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>/ji

Compiling the Bach corpus online was one of the major projects
of the Center for Computer Assisted Research in the Humanities.
Send them paper mail at CCARH, 525 Middlefield Road,
Menlo Park, CA 94025.

Here is an extract from a leaflet they publish:

The Center for Computer Assisted Research in the Humanities (CCARH) is
an independent facility engaged in the development of computer-assisted
methodologies intended for specific academic purposes. It was
established in 1985 [by Dr Walter B. Hewlett] as a non-profit
organization.

In the field of musicology the present goals of the Center are:
    (1) to develop hardware and software to support the processing of
musical data;
    (2) to develop data bases of large musical repertories and various
text sources of proven significance to the discipline;
    (3) to identify areas of scholarship that might be aided
significantly by the application of such emerging technology; and
    (4) to coordinate and disseminate information concerning
technological developments and applications.

The computer system used at the Center is called IBYCUS. It was designed
by David Woodley Packard for use in the Classics. Its particular
strengths include text processing and the representation of non-Roman
alphabets and foreign languages generally, as well as speed and
efficiency in searching and manipulating large textual data bases. These
features are of potential value in handling both music and the unusual
range of foreign languages with which it may be associated.
[ ... ]
An important goal of the Center is to develop and make available to the
musicological community a large range of data, both musical and textual.
[ ... ]
Currently an Urtext data base of all the music of J.S. Bach is in
formation at the Center. Among the works that have been entered are The
Well-Tempered Clavier, books I and II, the French and English Suites,
the Inventions and Sinfonias, the Brandenburg Concertos, the Orchestral
Suites, the trio sonatas for organ, and a number of cantatas.
[ ... ]
The study of potential computer applications in musicology and the
dissemination of information about current applications are ongoing
concerns of the center.
[ ... ]
The Center is developing a small library of materials related to the
discipline and maintains an address list of those with an interest in
this field. Enquiries, news, and observations are cordially welcome.

---Brad Rubenstein-----Sun Microsystems Inc.-----bradr@sun.com---