[comp.music] trying to learn music, advice offered

dveditz@dbase.UUCP (Dan Veditz) (09/13/89)

In article <27084@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> rlee@island.UUCP (Robert Lee) writes:
>I am a complete neophyte to music... [Should I] take beginning theory classes
>at the JC?  Hire a teacher? [re: piano]

If you just want to play things you can probably skip the theory *for now*.  In
any case a plain theory class will not teach you to play the piano.  A competent
private teacher will teach theory along with piano instruction, but you will
learn more from a formal theory class.  A group music lesson is less expensive
than a private teacher and may be a good way to start.

It will take work, but believe me it is worth it! (I started 20 years ago)

-Dan Veditz