[comp.music] Computer research in Schenkerian analysis

steveb@eve.WV.TEK.COM (10/18/89)

I have long been contemplating writing software that can analyze tonal music
via Schenker techniques.  Every time I attempt to scope out the problem I seem
to increase in complexity by an order of magnitude.  I am looking for folks who
have attempted to tackle this problem.  Specifically I am looking for
collaborators but I would be happy to start with references in the literature.
I am also looking for information on potential file formats and encoding
schemes for the input side.  Any information would be extremely helpful.

Steve
FROM:        STEVEN C. BILOW --  Software Engineer,  Tektronix
EMAIL:	     steveb@orca.WV.TEK.COM     PHONE:  (503) 685-2463
USMAIL:      P.O. Box 1000 61-028, Wilsonville, OR  97070-1000

sandell@ferret.ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell) (10/18/89)

In article <5013@orca.WV.TEK.COM> steveb@eve.WV.TEK.COM () writes:
>I have long been contemplating writing software that can analyze tonal music
>via Schenker techniques.  Every time I attempt to scope out the problem I seem
>to increase in complexity by an order of magnitude.  I am looking for folks who
>have attempted to tackle this problem.  Specifically I am looking for
>collaborators but I would be happy to start with references in the literature.
>I am also looking for information on potential file formats and encoding
>schemes for the input side.  Any information would be extremely helpful.
>
>Steve
>FROM:        STEVEN C. BILOW --  Software Engineer,  Tektronix
>EMAIL:	     steveb@orca.WV.TEK.COM     PHONE:  (503) 685-2463
>USMAIL:      P.O. Box 1000 61-028, Wilsonville, OR  97070-1000

Stephen Smoliar, no stranger to the net (esp. rec.music.classical) has an
article titled "A computer aid for Schenkerian analysis," COMPUTER MUSIC
JOURNAL 4/2, 41-59.  Another item is by James
Snell (1979), "Design for a formal system for deriving tonal music,"
but you will find it practically impossible to find since it is a
Master's thesis (State University of New York at Binghamton).

Lerdahl & Jackendoff's A GENERATIVE THEORY OF TONAL MUSIC (MIT Press,
1983) contains a hierarchical theory of music which is Schenker-like
in flavor.  One particularly nice thing about the approach is that
the rules are fairly explicit, which lends itself more to a
computational treatment than raw Schenker theory.

I think the problem is well worth working on, although as you say, it
will be very complex.  The fact that music theorists frequently
disagree as to what consititutes a `correct' Schenkerian analysis
shows that much of the theory is arcane and implicit.  (By the way,
you can always tell if someone is a truely devoted follower of
Schenker if they use the word `correct' alot in their writings.)
My advice, for what it's worth, is to pick a very simple musical
domain (e.g. early 18th century minuets) and try to acheive
success there first.

Good luck,
Greg Sandell

* Greg Sandell, Institute for Learning Sciences, Evanston, IL *
* sandell@ferret.ils.nwu.edu                                  *

Q2816@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Creative Business Decisions) (10/19/89)

In article <1325@accuvax.nwu.edu>, sandell@ferret.ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell) writes:

>In article <5013@orca.WV.TEK.COM> steveb@eve.WV.TEK.COM () writes:
>>I have long been contemplating writing software that can analyze tonal music
>>via Schenker techniques.  Every time I attempt to scope out the problem I seem
>>to increase in complexity by an order of magnitude.  I am looking for folks who
>>have attempted to tackle this problem.  Specifically I am looking for
>>collaborators but I would be happy to start with references in the literature.
>>I am also looking for information on potential file formats and encoding
>>schemes for the input side.  Any information would be extremely helpful.

>Stephen Smoliar, no stranger to the net (esp. rec.music.classical) has an
>article titled "A computer aid for Schenkerian analysis," COMPUTER MUSIC
>JOURNAL 4/2, 41-59.  Another item is by James
>Snell (1979), "Design for a formal system for deriving tonal music,"
>but you will find it practically impossible to find since it is a
>Master's thesis (State University of New York at Binghamton).

>Lerdahl & Jackendoff's A GENERATIVE THEORY OF TONAL MUSIC (MIT Press,
[etc.]

Also Michael Kassler's Princeton Ph.D. thesis.  Complete reference
on request, or just call UMI's 800 number.

>I think the problem is well worth working on, although as you say, it
>will be very complex.  The fact that music theorists frequently
>disagree as to what consititutes a `correct' Schenkerian analysis
>shows that much of the theory is arcane and implicit.  (By the way,
>you can always tell if someone is a truely devoted follower of
>Schenker if they use the word `correct' alot in their writings.)
>My advice, for what it's worth, is to pick a very simple musical
>domain (e.g. early 18th century minuets) and try to acheive
>success there first.

I don't believe there IS such a thing as a "correct" Schenkerian
analysis, and I consider myself something of a Schenkerian.

You see, most Schenkerian analyses are done in order to show something
SPECIFIC about the INDIVIDUAL piece.  The "point" of the analysis
determines the way in which it is done.

Schenkerian analysis is NOT a game of "Find the Ursatz."  Often, the
purpose is to demonstrate motivic relationships between structural
levels, to demonstrate the relationships between sections of a larger
piece, or for another reason.  Just "analyzing" in a rote fashion tends
to get you nowhere, as Karl-Otto Pluem's work shows.  (He did a
dissertation by doing analyses  of all the Bach 'cello suites, I think.)
In general, the best analyses are based on an intuitive "hook" of some
sort.

Some of the best motivic-Schenkerian analyses were done by Ernst Oster.
Two gems can be found in reprint at the end of _Aspects of Schenkerian
Theory_, ed. David Beach.  New Haven, Yale UP, ca. 1983.  One of them,
of the Chopin Fantasy-Impromptu, comes up with results no computer
is capable of.  (The word "intertextuality" is appropriate...)  The other
one is a bit more conventional, but comes up with motivic relationships
of a very subtle nature.  (Egmont Overture.)  These analyses TELL you
something about the piece in its uniqueness.  I don't think reduction
or generation rules alone will get you those results.

Another thing to consider is the historical aspect of music.  What works
do your rule work for?  What does variance from the rules say about a
given work?  Also, how will you integrate the text of a vocal work into
your analysis?  Its (often ambiguous) structure and meaning?

Finally, though I like Schenker's method and many of the analyses it has
produced, I do not necessarily accept reducability as a condition of
well-formedness; at least, I believe that there is always some ambiguity
in the way great works are heard, even when one is hearing them for the
nth time.  A good analysis can point out these ambiguities; how hard
will it be to get your program to do so?

In short, ask yourself the following questions: What is Schenkerian
analysis?  What is it used for?  What does one learn from an analysis?
Why do *I* want to do it?  And what will the computer do for me?

Roger Lustig (Q2816@PUCC.BITNET Q2816@pucc.princeton.edu)

Disclaimer: "That is not my dog."

smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) (10/19/89)

In article <1325@accuvax.nwu.edu> sandell@ferret (Greg Sandell) writes:
>In article <5013@orca.WV.TEK.COM> steveb@eve.WV.TEK.COM () writes:
>>I have long been contemplating writing software that can analyze tonal music
>>via Schenker techniques.  Every time I attempt to scope out the problem I
>>seem
>>to increase in complexity by an order of magnitude.  I am looking for folks
>>who
>>have attempted to tackle this problem.
>
>Stephen Smoliar, no stranger to the net (esp. rec.music.classical) has an
>article titled "A computer aid for Schenkerian analysis," COMPUTER MUSIC
>JOURNAL 4/2, 41-59.  Another item is by James
>Snell (1979), "Design for a formal system for deriving tonal music,"
>but you will find it practically impossible to find since it is a
>Master's thesis (State University of New York at Binghamton).

First of all, I would like to thank Greg for cross-posting this to
rec.music.classical, thus allowing me to get in on this discussion.
Secondly, I should point out that the "computer aid" discussed in the
aforementioned article is basically a structure editor (as was observed
by Jim Meehan in HIS article in that same issue of COMPUTER MUSIC JOURNAL).
Thus, it does not offer very much as far as automating the process of analysis.
Rather, it provides a consistent structural foundation for what those graphs
are REALLY trying to say (i.e. a hierarchy of elaborations).  Thus, it is an
aid for someone who has already conceived of the analysis and wishes to make
sure it is expressed consistently.

My first step away from this direction is recorded in the Report of the Twelfth
Congress of the International Musicological Society, in which I had to respond
to a paper by Michael Kassler.  At that point I was beginning to realize that
there was more to music than any sort of "parse tree" representation such as
could be offered by Schenker graphs.  I felt that music analysis had to follow
the lead of natural language processing and start looking for ways to represent
semantics (whatever that might mean) as well as syntax (i.e. well-formedness).
This was the beginning of my migration towards issues of memory, such as those
I am now trying to develop.

It should be relatively apparent that I am not really a member of the Schenker
camp.  Thus, I reject this whole idea of "correctness" which Greg cited.  I
believe that the Schenker notation is a good step towards documenting a
particular performance of a composition (to the extent that it distinguishes
structural from auxiliary notes).  However, I feel strongly that there may be
two quite different interpretations which are equally "correct."  Thus, if you
want a computer to do its own analysis, it is worth asking why you wish to
undertake the task.  One reason might be for the machine to advice you on
how to play it.  However, it is unlikely that a machine will ever give you
a "definitive" analysis of a composition, since it is unclear that such an
analysis exists.

USPS:	Stephen Smoliar
	USC Information Sciences Institute
	4676 Admiralty Way  Suite 1001
	Marina del Rey, California  90292-6695

Internet:  smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu

"For every human problem, there is a neat, plain solution--and it is always
wrong."--H. L. Mencken

geraint@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Geraint Wiggins) (10/19/89)

In article <5013@orca.WV.TEK.COM> steveb@eve.WV.TEK.COM () writes:
>I am also looking for information on potential file formats and encoding
>schemes for the input side.  Any information would be extremely helpful.
>
>Steve
>FROM:        STEVEN C. BILOW --  Software Engineer,  Tektronix
>EMAIL:	     steveb@orca.WV.TEK.COM     PHONE:  (503) 685-2463

I and two colleagues in Edinburgh, Alan Smaill and Mitch Harris, have a
prototype datastructure based on abstract datatypes which you might be
interested in. The advantage is that once you've written your software, anyone
can use it on their representation, provided they've followed our (fairly
simple) rules.

If you're interested, mail me and I'll send you the paper.

Geraint
--
Geraint A Wiggins 		      | G.A.Wiggins@uk.ac.ed
Department of Artificial Intelligence | G.A.Wiggins%ed.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

rwh@xpiinc.UU.NET (Robert W. Holzel) (10/19/89)

This discussion brings to mind the book "Metamagical Themas," which
has several sections devoted to whether a computer can be used to
analyze creativity.  I can't spell the author's name from memory,
but he is the author of "Godel, Escher, Bach," and for some time wrote
the Metamagical Themas column in "Scientific American."

mgresham@artsnet.UUCP (Mark Gresham) (10/25/89)

In article <10190@venera.isi.edu> smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu.UUCP (Stephen Smoliar) writes:
>However, it is unlikely that a machine will ever give you
>a "definitive" analysis of a composition, since it is unclear that such an
>analysis exists.

After all, there're lots of different ways, means and methods for
drawing maps (geographical/road/etc.) as well as physical
structures (architecture/etc.) so why not music.  I think we do
tend to forget that intellect (concepts/parsing/etc.) is only a
part of human knowledge; it has often undeservedly claimed all of
thought as its domain.  Well, I won't go into epistomology here,
but suffice it to say that I don't think *any* analysis is capable of
telling the larger part of the story, although it is necessary for
telling its portion.  (followup to 'rec.philosophy.amusing' :-)
if you like.)

Cheers,

--Mark

Mark Gresham  ARTSNET  Norcross, GA, USA
E-mail:       ...gatech!artsnet!mgresham
or:          artsnet!mgresham@gatech.edu

In article <267@xpiinc.UU.NET> rwh@xpiinc.UUCP (Robert W. Holzel) writes:
>This discussion brings to mind the book "Metamagical Themas," which
>has several sections devoted to whether a computer can be used to
>analyze creativity.  I can't spell the author's name from memory,
>but he is the author of "Godel, Escher, Bach," and for some time wrote
>the Metamagical Themas column in "Scientific American."

And his gross misconceptions about the nature of music are moldy
baloney.  (Take it from there Steve, you're better on responding
about this one than I am!)

smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) (10/26/89)

writes:
>>However, it is unlikely that a machine will ever give you
>>a "definitive" analysis of a composition, since it is unclear that such an
>>analysis exists.
>
>After all, there're lots of different ways, means and methods for
>drawing maps (geographical/road/etc.) as well as physical
>structures (architecture/etc.) so why not music.  I think we do
>tend to forget that intellect (concepts/parsing/etc.) is only a
>part of human knowledge; it has often undeservedly claimed all of
>thought as its domain.  Well, I won't go into epistomology here,
>but suffice it to say that I don't think *any* analysis is capable of
>telling the larger part of the story, although it is necessary for
>telling its portion.  (followup to 'rec.philosophy.amusing' :-)
>if you like.)

Have you taken a look at Marvin Minsky's THE SOCIETY OF MIND yet, Mark?  Once
again, you seem to be heading towards roads he has been trying to build.
Actually, you might do better to look at "Music, Mind, and Meaning," which
he contributed to the Fall 1981 issue of COMPUTER MUSIC JOURNAL (the same
issue which ran my review of GIRDLES, ESSENCE, AND BAGS:  THE ETERNAL GILDED
SPAGHETTI).  THE SOCIETY OF MIND was still a gleam in his eye when Minsky wrote
"Music, Mind, and Meaning;"  and it is interesting to see how ideas motivated
by the study of music led to more general thoughts about cognition.

In article <496@artsnet.UUCP> mgresham@artsnet.UUCP (Mark Gresham) writes:
>In article <267@xpiinc.UU.NET> rwh@xpiinc.UUCP (Robert W. Holzel) writes:
>>This discussion brings to mind the book "Metamagical Themas," which
>>has several sections devoted to whether a computer can be used to
>>analyze creativity.  I can't spell the author's name from memory,
>>but he is the author of "Godel, Escher, Bach," and for some time wrote
>>the Metamagical Themas column in "Scientific American."
>
>And his gross misconceptions about the nature of music are moldy
>baloney.  (Take it from there Steve, you're better on responding
>about this one than I am!)

Robert is probably referring to Doug Hofstadter's essay (as in "attempt"),
"Variations on a Theme as the Crux of Creativity."  This is less offensive
than his book by virtue of being shorter.  Nevertheless, it is the usual
batch of self-indulgent navel searching.  Anyone who gets any of there own
ideas by reading it is certainly entitled to them, but my humble opinion is
that they would be better off with the Minsky article I cited in my last
dispatch.

rwh@xpiinc.UU.NET (Robert W. Holzel) (10/26/89)

In article <10274@venera.isi.edu> smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu.UUCP (Stephen Smoliar) writes:
>In article <496@artsnet.UUCP> mgresham@artsnet.UUCP (Mark Gresham) writes:
>>In article <267@xpiinc.UU.NET> rwh@xpiinc.UUCP (Robert W. Holzel) writes:
>>>This discussion brings to mind the book "Metamagical Themas," which
>>>has several sections devoted to whether a computer can be used to
>>>analyze creativity.
>>
>>And his gross misconceptions about the nature of music are moldy
>>baloney.  (Take it from there Steve, you're better on responding
>>about this one than I am!)
>>
>Robert is probably referring to Doug Hofstadter's essay (as in "attempt"),
>"Variations on a Theme as the Crux of Creativity."  This is less offensive
>than his book by virtue of being shorter.  Nevertheless, it is the usual
>batch of self-indulgent navel searching.  Anyone who gets any of there own
>ideas by reading it is certainly entitled to them, but my humble opinion is
>that they would be better off with the Minsky article I cited in my last
>dispatch.

Sorry to have dared to tread on matters where you two are apparently
the most expert.  I'll be sure to keep a close watch on myself in the
future.  I wouldn't want to threaten anyone's shirt stuffing.

                             Humbly yours,

                                            Rob