Date: 24 Oct 89 18:54:02 GMT
From: Mark Gresham <artsnet!mgresham@edu.gatech>
Subject: Computer research in Schenkerian analysis
To: music-research@uk.ac.oxford.prg

In article <10190@venera.isi.edu> smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu.UUCP (Stephen Smoliar) writes:
>However, it is unlikely that a machine will ever give you
>a "definitive" analysis of a composition, since it is unclear that such an
>analysis exists.

After all, there're lots of different ways, means and methods for
drawing maps (geographical/road/etc.) as well as physical
structures (architecture/etc.) so why not music.  I think we do
tend to forget that intellect (concepts/parsing/etc.) is only a
part of human knowledge; it has often undeservedly claimed all of
thought as its domain.  Well, I won't go into epistomology here,
but suffice it to say that I don't think *any* analysis is capable of
telling the larger part of the story, although it is necessary for
telling its portion.  (followup to 'rec.philosophy.amusing' :-)
if you like.)

Cheers,

--Mark

Mark Gresham  ARTSNET  Norcross, GA, USA
E-mail:       ...gatech!artsnet!mgresham
or:          artsnet!mgresham@gatech.edu

------------------------------

Date: 25 Oct 89 18:14:46 GMT
From: Stephen Smoliar <usc!venera.isi.edu!smoliar@com.apple>
To: music-research@uk.ac.oxford.prg

Have you taken a look at Marvin Minsky's THE SOCIETY OF MIND yet, Mark?  Once
again, you seem to be heading towards roads he has been trying to build.
Actually, you might do better to look at "Music, Mind, and Meaning," which
he contributed to the Fall 1981 issue of COMPUTER MUSIC JOURNAL (the same
issue which ran my review of GIRDLES, ESSENCE, AND BAGS:  THE ETERNAL GILDED
SPAGHETTI).  THE SOCIETY OF MIND was still a gleam in his eye when Minsky wrote
"Music, Mind, and Meaning;"  and it is interesting to see how ideas motivated
by the study of music led to more general thoughts about cognition.

USPS:	Stephen Smoliar
	USC Information Sciences Institute
	4676 Admiralty Way  Suite 1001
	Marina del Rey, California  90292-6695

Internet:  smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu

"For every human problem, there is a neat, plain solution--and it is always
wrong."--H. L. Mencken

------------------------------

Date: 24 Oct 89 14:06:14 GMT
From: 5415 <gem.mps.ohio-state.edu!lavaca.uh.edu!uhnix1!texbell!swbatl!cam@edu.ohio-state.cis.tut>
Subject: music typesetting & text notation..
To: music-research@uk.ac.oxford.prg

In article <1989Oct22.165016.23978@ccu.umanitoba.ca> rahardj@ccu.UManitoba.CA (Budi Rahardjo) writes:
>I'm using Personal Composer/2 with my IBM XT, Roland MPU401 midi interface.
>The Personal Composer is a very good sequencer and music typesetting.
> [...]
>I'm just a satisfied user - rahardj@ccu.UManitoba.CA

Me, too, for what it's worth.  I have been using Personal Composer for the last
four years, and it has served me very well.  At times, I have gazed upon my
friends with Macintosh software with envy at the "prettiness" and "user-
friendliness" of their systems, only to come back to Personal Composer and
find more things it can do that theirs *can't*.  And it's extensible, if you
want to dabble in LISP.  Yes, satisfied.  But if anyone is contemplating
setting themselves up with such a system, buy all the CPU speed you can
afford... enhancements to the software have made using an old stock XT
a little slow at times.  Aaah, for a 386!

| J. Camron "Cam" Spillman - Southwestern Bell Telephone | cam@swbatl.sbc.com |
|     GHQ Finance Mechanization, St. Louis, Missouri     |  uunet!swbatl!cam  |

------------------------------

Date: 25 Oct 89 04:23:50 GMT
From: agate!garnet.berkeley.edu!emus-0@edu.berkeley.ucbvax
To: music-research@uk.ac.oxford.prg

You should be interested in the Directory of Computer Assisted Research
in Musicology, edited by Hewlett and Selfridge-Field published by
the Center for Computer Assisted Research in the Humanities in
Menlo Park  ( XB.L36@stanford.edu)  or 415-322 7050, which reports
on a very large number of computer typesetting packages from around
the world.  I expect this year's directory would be even more
complete.  Last year's had lots of examples and I found it to be
the most complete I've seen.

End of Music-Research Digest