[comp.music] responsibility

elkies@brauer.harvard.edu (Noam Elkies) (11/10/89)

In article <1553@esquire.UUCP> rreid@esquire.UUCP ( r l reid ) writes:
:In article <3068@husc6.harvard.edu> [I wrote:]
:>New computer technology makes it easy to accomplish what in earlier
:>times would have required heroic efforts.  Remember the responsibility
:>that comes with this power.
:
:Mercy me! Heaven forbid we should make any "bad music" as we
:go along!
:[...]

That wasn't quite what I meant...  Only that, as with text
typesetting programs, the surface sound of synthesizer output
can be seductively appealing quite independently of musical
content, tempting the composer to accept what in another
medium (s)he would further improve/revise.  [The same point
has been made in earlier times with, say, effective orchestration
instead of synthesizers---but I'm digressing from comp.music
issues...]

--Noam D. Elkies (elkies@zariski.harvard.edu)
  Department of Mathematics, Harvard University

eliot@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Eliot Handelman) (11/10/89)

In article <3111@husc6.harvard.edu> elkies@zariski.harvard.edu (Noam Elkies) writes:
;In article <1553@esquire.UUCP> rreid@esquire.UUCP ( r l reid ) writes:
;:In article <3068@husc6.harvard.edu> [I wrote:]
;:>New computer technology makes it easy to accomplish what in earlier
;:>times would have required heroic efforts.  Remember the responsibility
;:>that comes with this power.
;:
;:Mercy me! Heaven forbid we should make any "bad music" as we
;:go along!
;:[...]
;
;That wasn't quite what I meant...  Only that, as with text
;typesetting programs, the surface sound of synthesizer output
;can be seductively appealing quite independently of musical
;content, tempting the composer to accept what in another
;medium (s)he would further improve/revise.  [The same point
;has been made in earlier times with, say, effective orchestration
;instead of synthesizers---but I'm digressing from comp.music
;issues...]

Look Noam, it actually doesn't matter whether you revise or not. It
doesn't matter if you make 3 million pieces a day. There is no such
thing as compositional "responsibility." These are ideas that come to
us (or you) from another epoch that held that art could change the world
but today we are not so sure of that. You are trying to pump up a kind
of composing to an importance that it simply doesn't have. "Professional"
modern music today  is one of the last bastions of amateurism, one does
the thing simply because one wants to, and the only responsibility that
one need acknowledge is to probe the depths of that one will profess.
No one who has made this committment needs to be reprimanded by the wagging
finger of a Noam Elkies. In short, you're out of order.

-- E. Handelman
-- Music Dept
-- Princeton U.

scott@bbxsda.UUCP (Scott Amspoker) (11/11/89)

In article <3111@husc6.harvard.edu> elkies@zariski.harvard.edu (Noam Elkies) writes:
>New computer technology makes it easy to accomplish what in earlier
>times would have required heroic efforts.  Remember the responsibility
>that comes with this power.

>[some followup deleted]

>                  ....the surface sound of synthesizer output
>can be seductively appealing quite independently of musical
>content,

i.e. new age music

>            tempting the composer to accept what in another
>medium (s)he would further improve/revise.  [The same point
>has been made in earlier times with, say, effective orchestration
>instead of synthesizers---but I'm digressing from comp.music
>issues...]

You brought up some interesting things that, as usual, point out that
the more things change, the more they stay the same.  Some synthesizer
textures are so wonderful I can listen to them all day without
further refinement.  But then, I can listen to a good flute or
violin all day also.  The game seems to be the same.  Much classical
music is written to show off the technical skills of the solo performer
and does very little to "move the soul" (not that there is anything
wrong with that).  At other times, the symphony composer will fill
out a weak theme with bombastic orchestra razzle-dazzle.  It all has
it's place but, as you say, we must be careful not to get too carried
away with it.  If it seems too easy - it probably was.

--
Scott Amspoker
Basis International, Albuquerque, NM

maverick@oak.Berkeley.EDU (Vance Maverick) (11/11/89)

In article <3111@husc6.harvard.edu>, elkies@brauer.harvard.edu (Noam Elkies) writes:

> That wasn't quite what I meant...  Only that, as with text
> typesetting programs, the surface sound of synthesizer output
> can be seductively appealing quite independently of musical
> content, tempting the composer to accept what in another
> medium (s)he would further improve/revise.

maverick@oak.Berkeley.EDU (Vance Maverick) (11/11/89)

In article <3111@husc6.harvard.edu>, elkies@brauer.harvard.edu (Noam Elkies) writes:

> That wasn't quite what I meant...  Only that, as with text
> typesetting programs, the surface sound of synthesizer output
> can be seductively appealing quite independently of musical
> content, tempting the composer to accept what in another
> medium (s)he would further improve/revise.

The analogy with typesetting suggests that the notes are the content and the sound is the realization of the notes.  Why can't the musicality of a piece reside in what you dismiss as its "surface"?  I would say it does in some Oliver Knussen orchestra pieces, to pick an example from the Euro-composer tradition, and in a lot of popular music -- early Rolling Stones for example.

elkies@osgood.harvard.edu (Noam Elkies) (11/15/89)

[Eliot H.:]

>[n*blah,...]
>In short, you're out of order.

So who's the nut that put Eliot in charge of comp.music to declare
anyone "out of order"?

Vance Maverick (maverick@oak.berkeley.edu) <19433@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>:

:In article <3111@husc6.harvard.edu>, [I wrote:]

:> That wasn't quite what I meant...  Only that, as with text
:> typesetting programs, the surface sound of synthesizer output
:> can be seductively appealing quite independently of musical
:> content, tempting the composer to accept what in another
:> medium (s)he would further improve/revise.

:The analogy with typesetting suggests that the notes are the content and
:the sound is the realization of the notes.  Why can't the musicality of a
:piece reside in what you dismiss as its "surface"?  I would say it does
:in some Oliver Knussen orchestra pieces, to pick an example from the
:Euro-composer tradition, and in a lot of popular music -- early Rolling Stones
:for example.

I was wondering whether anyone was going to bring this up, or (back on the
typesetting side) point to the LaTeX manual itself as an example where the
polished surface is a substantial part of the content.  To be sure, there is
such a thing as musical or unmusical interpretation, and in entirely
synthesized music it's not as easy to precisely separate the notes from what in
earlier times would be their interpretation.  Still, while the idea of
music whose content resides largely in its surface sound may be interesting
to contemplate philosophically, in practice I don't buy that this is a
very fruitful notion.

--Noam D. Elkies (elkies@zariski.harvard.edu)
  Dept. of Math., Harvard University

rreid@esquire.UUCP ( r l reid ) (11/15/89)

In article <3167@husc6.harvard.edu> elkies@osgood.UUCP (Noam Elkies) writes:

>I was wondering whether anyone was going to bring this up, or (back on the
>typesetting side) point to the LaTeX manual itself as an example where the
>polished surface is a substantial part of the content.  To be sure, there is
>such a thing as musical or unmusical interpretation, and in entirely
>synthesized music it's not as easy to precisely separate the notes from what in
>earlier times would be their interpretation.  Still, while the idea of
>music whose content resides largely in its surface sound may be interesting
>to contemplate philosophically, in practice I don't buy that this is a
>very fruitful notion.

I can't buy the analogy at all.  To compare to the LaTeX manual,
to be sure if it was pretty and lovely to look at and made
you want to cry to behold it, and you couldn't figure out
how to print a *#$%@ page by reading it; well it would
fail completly as a LaTeX manual, and have to be recategorized
as "art" or some such.

Music is different, unless we're talking about "We Are The
World" or some other ditty that has pushing some world view
via the lyrics as it's goal.  Assuming otherwise, the
whole point IMHO is to be like that LaTeX manual that is
so wondrous to behold but doesn't tell you how to print a
page.

Also, the phrase "surface sound" is being used over and
over without ever being meaningfully defined.  It's
all sound, right?  Then which is surface and what is/are
that/those component/components which are non-surface?
Where is this so-called content hiding, and why is it
ashamed to come to the surface? :-)

And once we get those defined, it's a horserace anyway, isn't it?
Are you really going to argue for a non-personal method for
evaluating the "fruitfulness" of any given music, or for that
matter sound?

Finally, this continues to argue that for some strange reason
"computer music" or "synthesized music" is more likely to suffer
from this malady than music for other instruments?  I'm still
unconvinced; the fact that I can implement a tuning more easily
on a Sun than a flute doesn't do it.  (In fact, I can far
more easily make pretty music without much behind it
(wherever "behind" is) on my flute than on my Sun).

I think that's it.
--
	       Ro
   rreid@esquire.dpw.com