Date: 30 Nov 89 03:10:56 GMT
From: Paul Lansky <phoenix!paul@edu.princeton>
Subject: David Jaffe's NeXT Lisp/MusicKit Class
To: music-research@uk.ac.oxford.prg

David Jaffe is teaching a course at CCRMA this semester on
the use of the MusicKit, and is using lisp to generate score
files.  He has kindly sent me his course materials for
archiving.  These are quite interesting, and I recommend
them highly.  There is also some good new documentation on
scorefiles and on synthpatches.

It is archived on winnie.princeton.edu (128.112.128.180)
in put/NeXTMKlisptar.Z.  While you are there also grab
Jamey Pritchett's NeXTedsndtar.Z, a nice improvement on
the supplied soundeditor.  anonymous ftp of course.

Paul Lansky
Music Department
Princeton University

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 89 17:36:46 GMT
From: BEL@EARN.FRMOP11
Subject: ICTM Study Group
To: music-research@UK.AC.OXFORD.PRG

Date:         Tue, 28 Nov 89 17:30:04 GMT
From:         Bernard Bel <BEL@FRMOP11>
Subject:      STG???
To:           smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu
The last Music-Research Digest mentioned a "STG" meeting of the "ICTM" in
Marseille, which is due to take place next year just before the 2nd Conf.
"Musical Structures and Information Technology".  Sorry that the information
was not fully edited: "ICTM" is the "International Council for Traditional
Music", and "STG" is the "Study Group on computer-aided research", e.g.
a group of people involved in ethnomusicology or traditional musicology
by ways of computers.  The meeting is open to anyone interested in the
topic...It will be chaired by Prof. Helmut Schaffrath (Univ. of Essen)
Bernard Bel

[ Sorry for not expanding the acronyms. It takes me long enough to clean
  up the INFOs, which arrive as FORTRAN print files (!!), and sometimes
  when my modem's phone bill gets too high I give up...  - S. ]

------------------------------

Date: 6 Dec 89 01:22:48 GMT
From: steveb%eve.WV.TEK.COM%orca.wv.tek.com%zephyr.ens.tek.com@net.uu.uunet
Subject: More on computational music analysis...
To: music-research@uk.ac.oxford.prg

First off, I'd like to thank all of the folks who responded personally, as well
as via postings, to  my message regarding Schenker Analysis and it's adapt-
ability to computer based analysis systems.  I imagine many of you think I'm
a Schenkerian sort of guy.  The fact is, I am more interested is algorithmic
adaptability in general, than Schenker specifically.  To clarify my position:
I agree with those of you who responded to the effect that the problem with
Schenkerian analysis is that Schenker was convinced that any piece of music
had only 1 "correct" analysis.  I used to think I just didn't understand what
I was taught in Schenker Analysis class since I thought I could find more ways
than 1 of doing things.  Then I realized that I did understand, I just simply
disagreed with Schenker's idea that he was the only one who could apply the
concepts properly.  And... I remember how Schenker forever endeared himself
to Arnold Schoenberg when he told him that he had invented an analytical
system that conclusively proved that Schoenberg was not writing music. Oh well,
forget the 20th century, right...

But Pnews says this message is costing the world money... So, to the point.
I am looking for references related to any new systems of music analysis which
are adaptable to computer analysis.  My specific interests are hierarchical
systems and ones which might be adaptable to object oriented programming.
If I get some interesting replies I will post them here. I am also looking for
contacts who may have done graduate and doctoral work in this or related areas.

Thanks, in advance, for any help.  And thanks again to those who contributed
meaningful dialog.

Oh yea, for the record: Douglas Hofstadter is not my idea of a credible music
theorist.

Steve

FROM:        STEVEN C. BILOW --  Software Engineer,  Tektronix
EMAIL:	     steveb@orca.WV.TEK.COM     PHONE:  (503) 685-2463
USMAIL:      P.O. Box 1000 61-028, Wilsonville, OR  97070-1000

------------------------------

Date: 5 Dec 89 00:29:32 GMT
From: mcsun!sunic!tut!hydra!hylka!lassfolk@net.uu.uunet
Subject: MUSICV
To: music-research@uk.ac.oxford.prg

In article <1246@amethyst.math.arizona.edu>, hicksm@spock (Michael Hicks) writes:
> I have only heard references to MUSICV, (a mainframe computer music program)
> and I would be interested in learning about any particulars about the system.
>
> Can anyone give me an overview on this program?

I would recommend the book The Technology of Computer Music by Max V. Mathews,
The M.I.T. Press, 1969. Music V and other Music programs are also
discussed (in less detail) in Dodge & Jerse; Computer Music, Schirmer Books,
1985, ISBN 0-02-873100-X.

> 	hicksm@spock.ame.arizona.edu
Kai Lassfolk                      BITNET:   lassfolk@finuh.bitnet
University of Helsinki            Internet: lassfolk@cc.helsinki.fi
Department of Musicology
Vironkatu 1                       Phone: +358-0-1924468 (office)
SF-00170 HELSINKI                        +358-0-4554420 (home)
Finland

------------------------------

Date: 27 Nov 89 15:41:36 GMT
From: Pete Yadlowsky <gem.mps.ohio-state.edu!uakari.primate.wisc.edu!aplcen!haven!uvaarpa!hudson!jeeves.acc.Virginia.@uk.ac.oxford.prg>
Subject: NeXT-CSound, release 2
To: music-research@uk.ac.oxford.prg

It's ready.

This is the second release of my NeXT interface to Barry Vercoe's
CSound software synthesis system. The sound files it generates are
both NeXT and CSound compatible (with a slight change in the CSound
header structure). New features include:

	- optional automatic soundfile normalization; eliminates
	  sample overflow/clipping

	- communicates with SoundEditor, a soundfile editing application
	  extended from Lee Boynton's original. SoundEditor is included
	  in the package.

	- communicates with Hetro, a graphic user interface to Tom
	  Sullivan's `hetro' program, which uses heterodyne filtering
	  to analyze sound in terms of its harmonic content. Data files
	  produced by Hetro can be used with CSound's `adsyn' module.
	  Hetro is included in the package.

	- a generally spiffier interface, including a file browser
	  for the display and management of sound and adsyn (others
	  later) files.

ftp:	uvaarpa.acc.virginia.edu:/pub/next/appls/csound.tar.Z

	- Pete

Peter M. Yadlowsky		| "Pay no attention to that man
Academic Computing Center	|	behind the curtain!"
University of Virginia		|
pmy@Virginia.EDU		|

End of Music-Research Digest