Date: Thu, 14 Dec 89 08:16:06 EST
From: laske@edu.bu.cs
Subject: composition theory
To: music-research <music-research%uk.ac.oxford.prg@uk.ac.nsfnet-relay>

December 14, 1989

Dear reader,

	I am interested in an empirical theory of composition processes,
especially those carried with the aid of computers, in whatever form. I
believe that "music theory" everywhere is one-sidedly oriented to the
listener, i.e., to perception and listening, instead of also accounting
for planning, design, knowledge representation by notation or text, as
we have in composition. (I am a composer). There are very few theories
of composition; I have written on the subject for some time.
	It would be interesting to know who is doing research on the
theory of composition working with living composers (including yourself),
and to plan a conference on composition theory in the future.
	I have built two systems to research composition, OBSERVER
(1971-75) and PRECOMP (1987-89), the first dealing with simple
(elementary) electro-acoustic composition, the second, with computer-
aided composition using an "even list generator."
	Thank you for your reply regarding your work, address, and
published papers. I will send you a list of mine in the near future.
	Otto Laske
	926 Greendale Avenue
	Needham, MA 02192, USA
	<Laske@bu-cs.bu.edu>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 89 10:42:14 EST
From: Otto Laske <laske@edu.bu.cs>
Subject: Music competition
To: music-research@com.sun.eng.bartok

NTERNATIONAL
NEWCOMP COMPUTER MUSIC
COMPETITION

COMPOSER JUDGES:

JON APPLETON, USA
FRANOISE BARRIERE, FRANCE
MARC BATTIER, FRANCE
HERBERT BRUN, USA
JAMES DASHOW, ITALY
ERHARD KARKOSCHKA, FRG
PAUL LANSKY, USA
OTTO LASKE, USA
RUDOLF RUZICKA, CSSR
BARRY TRUAX, CANADA

DEADLINE: 1 MAY 1990

	NEWCOMP, the New England Computer Arts Association, Inc., of Boston, Mas
sachusetts, is sponsoring an annual international computer music competition. Wo
rks submitted should have been completed after January 1, 1988. Prize winners of
 the two previous comp
etitions should not apply. Compositions will be judged by the international jury
 listed above.

	Submissions of tapes, and tapes with scores (for 1-2 performers) will be
 accepted. Due to budget limits regarding concert performance, submission of sco
res with more than 2-3 performers is not recommended.

	Tapes should be half-track stereo analog; four-track tapes should be mix
ed down by the composer himself. Tapes should contain a 0 VU tone and be clearly
 marked head or tails; the duration of the work must also be indicated.  Submiss
ions should be accompa
nied by program notes and a $10 entrance fee for each submitted work.

	All submissions become the property of NEWCOMP. No public performances o
f archived tapes will take place without the composer's permission. Notification
s of the three winners will be made by September15, 1990. The work of the three
prize winners will be
performed at the October Concert of NEWCOMP in Cambridge, MA., U.S.A.

	Send all entries to: 1990 NEWCOMP Festival, Attention Otto Laske, 926 Gr
eendale Avenue, Needham, Massachusetts 02192, U.S.A.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 DEC 89 12:44:20 GMT
From: VPU1@UK.AC.NEWCASTLE-POLY.VAXA
Subject: Standard for sending music over email?
To: music-research@uk.ac.oxford.prg

Greetings musicianly types,

                  I am writing as a relatively new user of computers to ask if
there is a standard format or etiquette to sending the dots over email.
Sol-fa is an obvious one but archaic and arhythmic.

 Is there an easy sytem using only numbers and letters to convey tunes???

Joe Bennett
Guitar/Bass/Engineer/Keyboard/Misc....

VPU1@uk.ac.npy.vaxa

End of Music-Research Digest