[comp.music] music printing software for Mac

david@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Ben Geer) (12/29/89)

I'm a composer, and I'm looking for a Mac music editing/printing
program that Stravinsky could have used to print _The Rite of Spring_
on a Laserwriter.  MIDI I/O would be valuable but not absolutely
necessary.  The only program I've heard of that sounds as if it might
be adequate is Finale.  Has anyone here had experience with it?  If
so, what are its limitations?  I've heard it's buggy; are there
serious problems with it?  I'd rather not spend $1000 unless there's
no other program that could do the job; is there anything else that's
as good or better?

Please reply directly to me, as I'll be going out of town soon and
won't be able to read the net; my mail will be forwarded to me and
I'll have a summary of replies posted here.

Ben Geer
david%beach@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

allyn@milton.acs.washington.edu (Allyn Weaks) (12/29/89)

david@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Ben Geer) writes:
>I'm a composer, and I'm looking for a Mac music editing/printing
>program that Stravinsky could have used to print _The Rite of Spring_
>on a Laserwriter.  MIDI I/O would be valuable but not absolutely
>necessary.  The only program I've heard of that sounds as if it might
>be adequate is Finale.  Has anyone here had experience with it?  If
>so, what are its limitations?  I've heard it's buggy; are there
>serious problems with it?  I'd rather not spend $1000 unless there's
>no other program that could do the job; is there anything else that's
>as good or better?

I'll post this as well as mailing it directly to Ben, since I'd like to see
some discussion, both other views about existing programs, and philosophy of
how these beasties _should_ work.

I've managed to play a bit with virtually every music scoring program on the
Mac that I've been able to find out about: DMCS, Concertware, Professional
Composer, Finale, HB Music Engraver (demo), NoteWriter, and the new Encore.
 Of the 'professional' level prgrams, I've mostly used Pro Composer, and I've
finally bitten the bullet and decided to learn Finale for the meantime, and
start writing my own for the future.  None of the programs are very good
considering the current state of software development in other areas.  I've
starting working on a fairly detailed review of all of them, and will post it
when I get it finished (with luck in about a month).

Finale is the only one that comes close to being powerful enough to handle
music that doesn't fit into the pop/rock/simple-common-practice categories.
 I.e., being able to handle different key and time signatures on different
staves, complicated tuplets, secondary beaming, beaming across rests and
barlines, odd clefs, etc.  I've included some brief summaries of my view of
the other programs at the end.

First off, you can buy the latest version of Finale (2.0) for about $400 from
MacZone.  Check the big ads in MacUser and MacWorld.  They carry more music
software than any other software discounter that I've found.  You might also
try some of the synth places that advertise in Keyboard and such, but since
they never advertise their prices, I suspect they don't give much of a
discount. Also check MacConnection, I think they may carry Finale now, too.

Finale's very worst feature is (you think I'm going to say the abyssymal
interface, but you're wrong!) its strict insistence that measures are sacred.
 Once you enter a note into a measure, it's there forever until you manually
delete it then reinsert it somewhere else.  You CANNOT rebar a chunk of music.
This makes it really awkward to put in music that changes meter frequently -
the most efficient way I've found is to enter into Concertware, which is more
forgiving, then import it to Finale.  If you use only Finale, the best way
seems to be to set up all of your measures in advance with the proper meters,
then enter the music, and hope like hell that you don't make any mistakes.
 (If anyone has a better way, tell me, please!!!)  Makes it hard to compose
into the beast, too, unless you never change your mind.  There are other bad
implications, as well, but I'll save them for some other day.  I tend to harp
on this because most of the music I care about is early and modern, and
changes meter all over the place.   If they would put in a 'rebar this
selection' command, it would make the program, for all of its other problems,
almost usable.

On the other hand, assuming that you rarely make mistakes, Finale can do a lot
of things.  You can define any clef you please, any wierd key signature, it
will do cross stave beaming, secondary beaming, accelerando beaming.  It will
figure out chord symbols for what you play in. There's a jazz font available
(I don't remember if they still charge extra for their fonts.)  You can even,
with rather a lot of pain and suffering, get it to do polymeters.  The catch
is, that if you want the measures to show up properly in the printout, you
have to turn off ALL barlines (on all staves; you can't turn off barlines on
just one staff), then insert little fake barlines on your own.  Finale Help
Stack considers this to be a feature... they even say that _sometimes_ it will
play back properly!

The interface for Finale 2.0 is much improved; many of the deeply buried
dialog box items have been moved to menus.  The documentation has also been
completely rewritten, and is now reasonably intelligible.  More details when
I've used it more, but even with the improved interface, allow plenty of time
before expecting to produce much useful output.

There are some bugs, such as fermatta or whatever getting detached from the
base note, and becoming impossible to get rid of.  But each new release does
seem to get more stable.  I couldn't even run the first version on a 1 meg
Mac+ without crashing every five minutes.  1.2.6 improved the memory
management tremendously.  2.0 improves the interface.  I have more trouble
with some of the features, actually.  Such as wiping out an entire stave by
accidently hitting backspce while it's selected.  Undoable only as long as you
don't hit another key or the mouse button, and no little dialog box asking if
you really want to wipe out 5 hours of work?  (Imagine complaining about not
enough dialog boxes!)

I don't know whether the scores can be made true publication quality.  In its
favor, you can fiddle with the positioning of everything, but since their
basic unit of measurement is 1/4 point (1/288 inch), the jaggies should show
noticeably on Linotronic (2500 line/inch) output. I haven't tried it;
$3.50/page is too expensive for idle experimentation.  I can't for the life of
me figure out why they decided to use 1/4 point, when even cheap laser
printers do better than that... but I can't for the life of me figure out why
they did a lot of other things, either.

A quickie run-down on the other programs:

Professional Composer:  Badly copy protected (I can't get a valid copy of my
key disk with Copy II Mac 7.2)  No MIDI in/output (does read/write Performer
files, if you can afford an expensive sequencer just for I/O.)  48 staves, one
voice per stave, can merge staves, but it doesn't adjust the beaming properly
when you do.  Can do multiple key signatures and time signatures, though has
troubles rebarring sometimes.  Can't beam across rests or barlines. Knows
about instrument transpostions.  Inadequate part extraction (no tacit
measures).  Poor print control - you can change the overall note spacing
factor, force page/line/measure breaks, set margins and page size, and nothing
else.   Doesn't use any laser font, though output doesn't look too bad.
 Pretty easy to use overall.

HB Music Engraver: Not copy protected. I've only used the demo (available for
$10)  No multiple key or time signatures.  Highly modal, not even vaguely
WISIWYG, except in the mode where you add things like slurs (very slow).  If
you want to change the defaults for spacing of staves, notes, etc., etc., you
have to run a separate program (not included with the demo) a la Worstar in
the old, old days.  If you want MIDI step time input, you need at separate
program at (I believe) extra cost.  Data entry is fairly quick, but the screen
it shows doesn't look like music, and is highly disorienting.  Print control
is good compared to Pro Composer, but you have to keeping switching between
four different modes to get it done.

NoteWriter:  Copy protected. The new version (II) is much improved over the
old one, but I've only been able to get a quick look.  One of the new features
is that you can have more than one page in a file!!  Purely graphical, more
like MacDraw than a music program; copyists may like it, but you have to have
a fair copy to work from.  You have to decide in advance how many measures per
line, lines per system, systems per page.  Part extraction is by the 'select a
line, copy it, move elsewhere, paste it, go get the next line, oh, you wanted
tacit measures?, well go fiddle...' method.

Encore: Just out last month, so expect some teething problems.  Not copy
protected!  A Passport first.  List price is $600, so MacZone should have it
for about $400 when they finally get it in stock.  I got to read the (short)
manual last week, and get to test fly the actual program next week (dealer
vagaries...)  Can handle 64 voices, up to 4 on a staff.  I like some of the
features a lot, especially the disjoint selections.  Some of the other good
things:  MIDI file input/output, MIDI input/output, adjustable slanted beams,
beam to a beat, works with Sonata laser font (not included), different key
signatures on different staves (couldn't tell from the docs about time sigs).
But, though it's a reasonably Mac-like interface on the surface, it's not the
Mac philosophy - there are a lot of places where you can chose one of four (or
three, or..) values for sizes, or fonts.  They don't just let you set a
parameter, or choose from anything you have available on your system.  And for
lyrics, you can only have four lines of 'em, and you can have any font/size as
long as it's Geneva 10.  If you don't like it, you have to use free text mode
which won't line up the notes to the lyrics for you. I really hope I'm wrong
about that, but that's what the manual says...  Oh yes, won't run 'properly'
if you don't have a printer driver installed?!  Another problem: it's measure
based. (have I mentioned that I don't like measure based systems? :-)  Not
quite so obnoxiously as Finale - you can at least merge/split measures, and
force things to shift.  Also, paste is always overwrite - if you want to
insert 6 measures, you'd better remember to create blank measures to fit, or
it will wipe out what's there.  Don't know if that's undoable.   Oh well, lots
of details when I've had my hands on it for awhile.  A $10 demo should be
available in 2-3 weeks (the preceeding has been a true statement for the last
3 months :-))

Disclaimer:  I'm merely a not tremendously satisfied user of most of the
above, and a possible future competitor...

Allyn
allyn@milton.acs.washington.edu       sweaks@phast.phys.washington.edu

The number of people who agree or disagree with you has absolutely no
bearing on whether you're *right*.  The universe has a way of deciding
that for itself.  -- Kelvin Throop III