[comp.music] MIDI software book

jol@sei.cmu.edu (Jun Lee) (12/23/89)

Hi, Everyone.

Is there any "generic" books on writing MIDI software?  What I mean
by generic is, general for all types of computers.  I've seen it
for Macs and PC's but I have an Amiga.  I would like to get a book
that deals more with the common ground that is relevant to writing
MIDI software for all types of computers and MIDI equipment.
I would prefer it if it is in C.

ThanX
The Eelman
jol@sei.cmu.edu

djw@hpldsla.HP.COM (12/27/89)

> Is there any "generic" books on writing MIDI software? ..............
> ................. but I have an Amiga.

My  bias:  I have an  Atari - but,  the  only  book I have  seen
written for MIDI on the Atari is a piece of trash.

Personally,  I have  found that a lot of the MIDI  books for the
IBM-PC are good for general consumption.  Sure, you have to deal
with getting data to and from the MIDI port  yourself,  but that
is usually pretty easy (it's hardest on the PC!).

The hard part about  writing  MIDI  software is the stuff at the
application  layer.  If you know about your  Amiga,  and you can
follow the thinking in some software for another  computer,  you
should get good use from one of the 'C' books for the PC.

David "my first Apple II book was written for the TRS-80!" Williams
djw@hpldsla.hp.com

sage@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (David Martosko '91) (01/01/90)

In article <5449@fy.sei.cmu.edu> jol@sei.cmu.edu (Jun Lee) writes:

>Is there any "generic" books on writing MIDI software?  What I mean
>by generic is, general for all types of computers.  I've seen it
>for Macs and PC's but I have an Amiga.  I would like to get a book
>that deals more with the common ground that is relevant to writing
>MIDI software for all types of computers and MIDI equipment.
>I would prefer it if it is in C.

I don't know so much about books, but some guys at Carnegie-Mellon have
put together a MIDI programming toolkit which is free for the asking.  It
is written for a variety of Mac/IBM/Amiga languages, including C.  You
should write to Roger Dannenburg at CMU (I think his address is something
like Dannenburg@spice.cs.cmu.edu, but I'm not sure).

You can also download the toolkit, but I'm not sure where.  For $20 bucks
or so, he'll throw in a manual and sample programs.

Good luck

-----------------------------------

  David Martosko                         E-mail:sage@eleazar.dartmouth.EDU
  Dartmouth College HB 2216               Phone:(603) 643-4347
  Hanover, NH 03755

lwyse@retina.bu.edu (Wyse) (01/04/90)

>Is there any "generic" books on writing MIDI software?  What I mean
>by generic is, general for all types of computers.  I've seen it
>for Macs and PC's but I have an Amiga.  I would like to get a book
>that deals more with the common ground that is relevant to writing
>MIDI software for all types of computers and MIDI equipment.
>I would prefer it if it is in C.

There is a new book out, "The MIDI Programmer's Handbook" by
S.De Furia and J. Scacciaferro. It covers basics, devices,
configurations, MIDI messages,modes,time code commands, protocols and
the MIDI files standard. Publisher M&T ISBN 1-55851-068-0.

It just came out in December, and I haven't seen it, but would be interested
in hearing from anyone who has.

   XXX     XXX         Lonce Wyse                                |
  X           X        Center for Adaptive Systems          \    |    /
  X           X        Boston University                     \       /
                       111 Cummington St.
                       Boston,MA 02215                   ----         ----
  X           X
  X           X        "The best things in life              /       \
   XXX     XXX         are emergent."                       /    |    \