Date: 4 Jan 90 21:12:29 GMT
From: Brad Rubenstein <bradr%bartok@com.sun>
Subject: A-R Music Engraver: Music Printing for Suns
To: music-research@uk.ac.oxford.prg

My friend Joe M sent me this excerpt on A-R Music Engraver.
Their phone number is 608-836-9000 (Madison, WI, USA).  If anyone on
the net has experience using their stuff, I'm sure we'd like to hear.

	Brad

A-R Editions is a Publishing & Software house.

They developed the "A-R Music Engraver" program for professional music
publishing purposes.  It was originally developed for a Data General
computer as a text entry system, but was rewritten for a Sun
Microsystems workstation.  The Sun was chosen for its power and
graphics, and there is no attempt planned to try to port the program to
MacIntosh Computers, since they have much less processing power than
practical to run the program.

It is a WYSIWYG program with fully interactive editing.  All entry and
editing is from menus.  The display is a full page display which can be
either portrait or landscape.  From the description, the program
appears somewhat similar to Interleaf, Frame or SunWrite/Paint/Draw,
but optimized for music notation.

It is written in NeWS, and utilizes the sun high resolution monitor
(1600 x 1280 pixels, rather than the 1152 x 900 pixels of the standard
display.)

A-R Editions developed the musical notation library using Classical
European engraved notes and symbols, making the output look like what
was published using the hand engraved dies of the European tradition.
The user can use any of the provided notes or symbols, make his own,
modify any of them, or have A-R Editions develop them for him.

There are multiple fonts, which are the full set of the Mergenthaler
text fonts as used for typesetting.  Mergenthaler now also uses the
music fonts developed by A-R Editions.

Presently the program is passive, but A-R Editions is exploring writing
a MIDI driver to enable output of the notation as MIDI data.

It is available at this time.  Its cost depends on application and
use.
---Brad Rubenstein-----Sun Microsystems Inc.-----bradr@sun.com---

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Jan 90 16:42:33 GMT
From: Chengodan A <chena1@uk.ac.essex.ese>
Subject: annotating keyboard generated music

This is to people WHO are 'interested in' OR 'working on':
	MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface),
	MUSIC,
	COMPUTER (of any kind and application),
	COMPUTER Music,
	and anything related.
Hello everybody,

	I have a small help to ask from all of you. Before that,
let me inroduce myself. I`m a B.Eng. student from University of
Essex. Currentlly I`m involved in a project based on MIDI and
IBM-AT. The aim is to 'anotate keyboard generated music'.

	This is rather new (for me and to some of you) and
rather deferent for IBM-AT's daily application.

	I'd like to see peoples view on this topic. I have a
small questionnaire with this article for which you can give
some comments. I`d certainly welcome any useful views.
The main aim for this serve is to understand peoples view
on this topic. This are for educational aim only.

	You can reply to me by E-mail to the following
address.
---------------
	E-mail:
		form JANET:  chena1@uk.ac.essex.ese
		form BITNET: chena1%uk.ac.essex.ese@ac.uk
---------------

	I hope this will not burden  any of you and I thank
you for you time.
	Thank You very much.

Yous,
A.Chengodan,
Electronic Systems Engineering Dept,
University of Essex,
Wivenhoe Park,
Colchester,
Essex, UK.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The questionnaire is: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A).	Hardware/Software availability for the IBM-AT`s
	interfacing the keyboard via MIDI.

	1. How many are there?
	2. Are they good/bad?
	3. How good/bad are they?
	4. What are the constrains that put to you as
		a user(eg. basic hardware required-memory,
		hard disc, monitor, mouse ...)?
	5. Can you accept them?
	6. What are they?
	7. What do you go for?
	8. Are they suit your needs?
	9. How much money have you spent on it?
	10. Are you developing your own hardware/software?
	11. What do you think you need to have (hardware and
		software quality and capability)?
	12. What are missing from those software and hardware
		which are already in the market?
	13. Any other comments.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ That`s all for now. Thank you. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My E-mail address:

Date: 3 Jan 90 06:16:19 GMT
From: Brad Rubenstein <bradr%bartok@com.sun>
Subject: Music Printing: An Invaluable Reference
To: music-research@uk.ac.oxford.prg

Lots of folks have asked about various programs for printing musical
scores.

If you are interested in this, you should know that the annual
directory of Computing in Musicology distributed by the Center for
Computer Assisted Research in the Humanities (CCARH) describes most
(all?) printing systems that deal with classical music.  I kid you
not.

The 1989 edition contains 64 pages describing 55 systems, commercial
and academic, some finished and some under development.  They run on
Suns, IBM PC's, MacIntoshes, Atari ST, etc.

Systems are described that handle standard classical notation, as well
as gregorian chant, guitar and lute tablature, mensural notation,
neumes, shape notes, and more.

The discussion focuses mostly on functional capability and output
quality (with lots of printed examples from many of the systems).
There isn't much discussion of user interface.

You can email CCARH at XB.L36@forsythe.stanford.edu, but I'm not
sure how reliable this is.  Their US mail address is below.

Here is an excerpt from an order form I had handy:

This year's directory has 177 pages, of which 54 contain illustrations
[ 2 from an optical scanning project, 3 from transcription-and-analysis
programs concerned with Byzantine notation, and the rest from music
printing programs].  The cost is $15.00.  Postage rates are $9 to Asia,
Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and South America; $7 to Europe; $2 to
Canada; and free within the US.  The overseas ones go by air [postage
is free if you want surface mail overseas; please allow up to four
months for delivery].

All orders must be prepaid.  Overseas orders paid by check should be in
dollars from an American bank; they can also be paid by postal money
order.  Separate terms are available for bulk orders.  Send all
correspondence to:

	CCARH
	525 Middlefield Road, Suite 120
	Menlo Park, CA 94025