[comp.music] Perfect/Well Tempered

tom@iconsys.UUCP (Tom Kimpton) (01/13/90)

I have followed with interest the discussion on "well tempered"ness
of western music (instruments) and I was wondering if any electronic
music instruments have options to play "perfect" scales.  It would
seem to me that it would be a simple thing to have a button that changes
the perfect temperement so that you could play any key "perfectly".
Is there anything like this out there?
--
Tom Kimpton                    UUCP: {uunet,caeco,nrc-ut}!iconsys!tom
Software Engineer	       INTERNET: tom@iconsys.uu.net

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (01/14/90)

In article <434@iconsys.UUCP> tom@iconsys.UUCP (Tom Kimpton) writes:
> I have followed with interest the discussion on "well tempered"ness
> of western music (instruments) and I was wondering if any electronic
> music instruments have options to play "perfect" scales.

Yes, modern synthesizers can be made to play in perfect scales.

Which brings me to a question which has been in my mind for long:
If a piece is playes in a perfect scale, say c major, and is then
played in perfect scale d major, does it sound different? Yes, it will
sound higher. But does it feel different?

Alternative question: if a piece in (tempered) c-major sounds (feels)
different when played in d-major, it this because of the minor
differences in pitches due to the tempered scale?

Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv

KRW1%LEHIGH.BITNET@IBM1.CC.Lehigh.EDU (01/15/90)

>Alternative question: if a piece in (tempered) c-major sounds (feels)
>different when played in d-major, it this because of the minor
>differences in pitches due to the tempered scale?

An equally tempered scale has no distinct reference points - every
interval is the same ratio in any key.  The "mood" of a key changes
subjectively in the same way a color scheme might as you shift from,
say, blue toward green.  The same should be true of other temperaments
(assuming you retune in each key).  This is if everything is perfect.
There are a couple of side issues which muddy things a bit.  Pianos, for
example, generally aren't tuned to perfect even temperament - the ratios
change slightly from low to high according to the tuner's preference,
but this may not be noticeable on an electronic instrument using
computed scales.  There is also the pitch vs. frequency effect where a
the apparent frequency depends on volume (and the related pitch changes
due to greater string deformation) - again, dependent on the actual
sound producing mechanism.  And then, the ratios in the harmonic series
may still change dramatically from step to step for other physical
reasons - dead strings, resonance, etc.  This can all affect the "mood".

alves@nunki.usc.edu (William Alves) (01/17/90)

In article <JV.90Jan13223141@mhres.mh.nl> jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) writes:
>In article <434@iconsys.UUCP> tom@iconsys.UUCP (Tom Kimpton) writes:
>> I was wondering if any electronic
>> music instruments have options to play "perfect" scales.
>Yes, modern synthesizers can be made to play in perfect scales.
>Which brings me to a question which has been in my mind for long:
>If a piece is playes in a perfect scale, say c major, and is then
>played in perfect scale d major, does it sound different? Yes, it will
>sound higher. But does it feel different?
>Alternative question: if a piece in (tempered) c-major sounds (feels)
>different when played in d-major, it this because of the minor
>differences in pitches due to the tempered scale?

First of all, what is a "perfect" scale? Tuning systems since ancient times
have faced two competing goals: to have small, whole number ratios in the
commonly used intervals to increase the consonance, and to be able to play
in more than one key center. They are not mutually compatible; one or the
other has to be compromised.

For example, to take your c/d major question: let's say the A is tuned to
a frequency exactly 3/2 times D (a "perfect" or Pythagorean fifth) to aid
in consonance in the tonic triad of D. Then let's assume that D is 3/2 above
G (for the G triad), and that G is 3/2 above C (for the C triad in C major).
This would make the D 9/8 from C and the A 27/16 from C. Now 27/16 isn't
exactly a low number ratio, which may be okay if you're playing in D, but
in C you'll probably want it to be 5/3 so that the A minor triad will be
consonant. This is a simple example, but it demonstrates that tuning systems
with small whole-number ratios ("just" intonation) do not lend themselves
to modulation. Likewise, equal-temperament has much more dissonant sounding
intervals. The history of tuning systems in Europe is entirely bound up in
various solutions to this fundamental problem.

The nature of the compromise at which you arrive has to do with the nature of
your music. To Schoenberg, equal temperament is the "perfect" tuning system,
because it makes all intervals equal. Personally, I prefer just systems (when
they are practical) in my own music.

Different keys in just systems have quite different sounds because a "minor
sixth" for example, may actually be three or four different intervals de-
pending on what key it is in. The same is true to more or less of a degree
in all non-equal tuning systems. This could definitely have an effect on
mood and compositional usage. As I have written before, I think supposed
changes in "mood" when transposing in equal temperament are mostly due to
changes in timbre in different registers of the instruments.

Some electronic instruments which have tunable scales include:

Yamaha DX-7II, TX802, TX81Z
Ensoniq Mirage, EPS (with special software)
Akai S-900, S-950, S-1000 (with a lot of work)
Synclavier II

and probably several others. (This was discussed in rec.music.synth a few
weeks ago).

Bill Alves
USC School of Music / Center for Scholarly Technology

brownd@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (David H. Brown) (01/19/90)

In article <434@iconsys.UUCP> tom@iconsys.UUCP (Tom Kimpton) writes:
>                       ...    and I was wondering if any electronic
>music instruments have options to play "perfect" scales.

>Tom Kimpton                    UUCP: {uunet,caeco,nrc-ut}!iconsys!tom
>Software Engineer	       INTERNET: tom@iconsys.uu.net
>Icon International, Inc.       BITNET: icon%byuadam.bitnet (multi-user acct)
>Orem, Utah 84058               PHONE: (801) 225-6888

	Gee, one of my favorite questions!  Yes many electronic instruments
have the ability to play in tunings other than equal-temperment.  My own
favorite it the Yamaha DX7-II which allows the pitch of every key to be
defined independently, with a resolution of just over 1 cent (1024 steps to
the octave, to be (im)precise).  I would expect that the new Yamaha SY77 (no,
nobody seems to know what the name means) to keep this feature.  BTW, every
key means every one of the 128 midi note numbers!  You can do microtonal
tunings to with any number of steps per octave (well, up to 128)!

	I've noticed that the Kurzweil ??1000 series does allow a few
different tunings, but they keep the octaves pure and also force you to keep
the same old twelve-steps-to-the-octave bit going.  It is easier to program,
though (especially if you _like_ having a moderately normal keyboard :-) ),
and the tuning is specified as offsets in cents from Equal-Temperment.

	I'm sure there are others, but those are the two we have in the
studio here (Yamaha DX7-II FD and Kurzweil K1000).

St. Olaf College has very little to     | M M | M M M | M M | M M M | M M |
do with the things I talk about!        | M M | M M M | M M | M M M | M M |
                                        | M M | M M M | M M | M M M | M M |
Dave Brown: brownd@thor.acc.stolaf.edu  | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |