[comp.music] psychoacoustics

dmnhieu@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Duy-Minh NHIEU) (01/16/90)

Can anyone suggest good books on psychoacoustics?  It should be quite simple
and possible contains or suggest some demonstration?  (I mean demonstration
that you can really hear)?

jimh@ultra.com (Jim Hurley) (01/17/90)

dmnhieu@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Duy-Minh NHIEU) writes:

>Can anyone suggest good books on psychoacoustics?  It should be quite simple
>and possible contains or suggest some demonstration?  (I mean demonstration
>that you can really hear)?

'The Science of Musical Sound' from the Scientific American Library
has a reasonable coverage and a sound disk with the classic illusions.

I have not read this, but I've read reviews of
'Spatial Hearing' available from the MIX bookstore.  From
what I've read, though, this isn't a simple text.
--
Jim Hurley                 domain:   jimh@ultra.com
UltraNetwork Technologies  Internet: ultra!jimh@ames.arc.nasa.gov

brownd@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (David H. Brown) (01/19/90)

In article <19826@watdragon.waterloo.edu> dmnhieu@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Duy-Minh NHIEU) writes:
>Can anyone suggest good books on psychoacoustics?  It should be quite simple
>and possible contains or suggest some demonstration?  (I mean demonstration
>that you can really hear)?

	If you can find a DX7-II anywhere, there is a good little pamphlet
published for it entitled "The Psychoacoustics of Microtuning" (pub. by
Yamaha).  The experiments are simple and are designed to be played on the
DX7-II in stereo (only one DX needed).  Difference tones, combination tones,
and monaural and binaural beats are demonstrated.

	If you can't find anything better/more useful, I could send you a
tape of the examples; the pamphlet is not copyrighted and could be copied.

St. Olaf College has very little to     | M M | M M M | M M | M M M | M M |
do with the things I talk about!        | M M | M M M | M M | M M M | M M |
                                        | M M | M M M | M M | M M M | M M |
Dave Brown: brownd@thor.acc.stolaf.edu  | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |