Date: 01 Feb 90  1021 PST
From: Douglas Keislar <DK%CCRMA-F4@EDU.STANFORD.SAIL>
Subject: Call for papers on microtonality
To: music-research-request@uk.ac.oxford.prg

The international journal PERSPECTIVES OF NEW MUSIC is seeking a few GOOD
articles for a feature on microtonality (and other tuning alternatives to
12-tone equal temperament), in music of the recent past, the present, and
the future. Preference will be given to articles dealing with the
significant work of one or more composers (either by the composers
themselves, or by other expert analysts), or dealing with theoretical
systems, whether presently realized in music or not.

In general, articles should not be longer than 30 typescript (double-spaced)
pages, and should be received by 30 March 1990. Typescripts must be
double-spaced. No dot-matrix prints, please.

Address submissions either by email to:

pnm@milton.u.washington.edu

or by post to:

Microtonal Feature
Perspectives of New Music
School of Music DN-10
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195
USA

--Richard Karpen, Douglas Keislar, and Jerome Kohl

------------------------------

Date: 29 Jan 90 23:30:35 GMT
From: Eliot Handelman <eliot%phoenix@edu.princeton>
Subject: Cognitive Musicology (from: Research Digest Vol. 5, #02)
To: music-research@uk.ac.oxford.prg

In article <1503@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> rowe@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Robert Rowe) writes:

;I
;have just finished rereading Laske's keynote address to the 1988 AAAI
;workshop on Artificial Intelligence and Music, and the most substantive
;part of it describes Laske and Don Cantor's work on Pr1Mac, a composer's
;workbench. I would be very interested to see Otto Laske reply to Eliot
;Handelman's posting, or just to see him describe the knowledge
;acquisition process adopted in Pr1Mac, and what his results and conclusions
;are. The most public manifestations I have recently seen from Mr. Laske,
;I must admit, are accusations of methodological laxness by the rest of
;us, and not much about what he is actually doing to redress the situation.
;
;Robert Rowe
;MIT Media Laboratory

Concerning Pr1Mac, I would like to see the following sentence explained
(taken from the proceedings):

"As every musician would agree, the crux in developing an intelligent
assistant for music lies in in providing a flexible interface between
the multiple representations with which musicians HABITUALLY work,
and to do so without interfereinig with their HABITUAL way of inventing
and intuiting." (my emphasis)

When I first read this, I thought that Laske wants to tailor the system to
the habitual concerns, whatever that means, of composers. But no, because:

"Events in Pr1Mac are collections of from 1 to 6 "notes" or "samples"
having a unified temporal, timbral, and dynamic represenation."

This sounds to me like one particular kind of representation is being
forced upon the users of Pr1Mac.  What makes Laske think that this is
the way that musicians habitually work? What makes Laske think that
musicians have a habitual way of inventing music? Is assuming as much
an example of "knowledge acquistion"? Sounds to me more like "assumption
acquisition."

I agree with Robert on one further point: Laske protests too much. Robert
Rowe and I are intensively involved in artificial intelligence and music,
and if Laske does not want to pursue this discussion, but continues to make
use of the net to advertise his discontent with the state of affairs
then I, for one, have no reason to assume that Laske wants to avail himself
of opportunities to inform himself of states of affairs which may be
unknown to him. In that case his endless criticism are completely unjustified.

--Eliot Handelman
  Princeton U., Music

------------------------------

Date: 31 Jan 90 00:07:05 GMT
From: Richard Friedman <rchrd%well@com.apple>
Subject: DARMS parsers/manipulators anyone?
To: music-research@uk.ac.oxford.prg

Does anyone out there know of any programs (preferably in C)
to parse and/or manipulate DARMS encoded text.
(DARMS is an alphanumeric representation of musical notation that
is being used for music analysis and even composition.)

What I'd like to be able to do is write music in DARMS and then
apply procedures to the music text that manipulate it in various
ways, generating an expanded DARMS output.

Anyone know of anything like this?
--
 /s/ rchrd <=> Richard Friedman <=>  rchrd@well
 rchrd@well.sf.ca.us | {apple,pacbell,hplabs,ucbvax}!well!rchrd

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 90 16:42:30 EST
From: Allan Adler <ara@edu.yale.math.lom1>
Subject: help with mtex
To: music-research@uk.ac.oxford.prg

I learned about mtex from this digest several months ago and obtained a
copy. Since then I have been trying to learn metafont so I can compile
the fonts which come with the mtex distribution. I have finally succeeded
in compiling the fonts and in convincing TeX to look in my directory for
them. As a result I was able to print out mtexinfo and mtexinfoenglish
today. I also tried to print out mtexdemo and had some trouble with it.
The laserwriter would think about the dvi-alw file for a long time
and then would print out a picture of the laserwriter. I decided that
somehow the laserwriter was being given more than it could handle.
So I edited the file mtexdemo.tex and deleted everything after the first
\endchord. I followed that by \endsong and \end and tried again.
I was please to see one staff of music running across the page,
but also noted that the staff ended early in the measure and near the
end of the page and with no bar line. It occurred to me that if the
measure were completed, it would overreach the end of the page by a
large amount and that might have been the reason that the laserwriter
gave up on it. So the question is, what can I do to correct this ?
Is the music intended to run across an 8.5" by 11" page ? Or was it intended
to run in "landscape mode",with the page rotated 90 degrees ? And if so,
how does one do that in TeX ? Has anyone else had this problem and if so
how did they deal with it ? Also, it occurs to me that perhaps mtex
has been improved since I obtained it. How can one find out about
current versions ? When I looked at the file mtexdemo.tex, I didn't see
any numbers I could conveniently change to make the output smaller and
perhaps fit on the page. It seems a shame to have come so far and to
be held back at the last step by such a silly little problem.

I welcome your comments and suggestions. I felt it was appropriate to
ask about it here because this is where I first learned about mtex.

Allan Adler
ara@lom1.math.yale.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 1 Feb 90 22:07:34 EST
From: "Steven R. Newcomb" <srn%cmr@edu.ufl.cis.bikini>
Subject: X3V1.8M
To: Music-Research <Music-Research%uk.ac.oxford.prg@uk.ac.nsfnet-relay>

X3V1.8M MUSIC IN INFORMATION PROCESSING STANDARDS (MIPS) COMMITTEE
      operating under the rules and procedures of the
           American National Standards Institute
                    X3V1.8M Secretariat:
                c/o Larry Austin, President
               The Computer Music Association
                       P. O. Box 1634
          San Francisco, California 94101-1634 USA

MEETING NOTICE, CALL FOR PAPERS, AND DRAFT AGENDA - TWELFTH MEETING

MEETING NOTICE:

     Meeting times:

                  Wednesday, February 28, 1990, 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
                  Thursday, March 1, 1990, 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
                  Friday, March 2, 1990, 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM (Morning session at Hypertext
                      User Requirements Workshop of TechDoc '90).
                  Saturday, March 3, 1990, 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM.

     Meeting Host:

          Graphic   Communications    Association,    Marion
          Elledge, Executive Director

     Meeting Location:

          Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel
          1700 Ocean Avenue
          Santa Monica, California 90401

WRITTEN CONTRIBUTIONS

     The usual mailing  will  be  made  to  participants  of
     record on February 9, 1990.  To get your paper into the
     mailing, IT IS IMPERATIVE that you get the camera-ready
     version  into  the  hands  of  Vice-chairman  Steven R.
     Newcomb on or before February 5, 1990.  His address is:
     Center  for  Music  Research,  School of Music, Florida
     State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-2098 USA.

TRAVEL AND LODGING

     Hotel Accommodations

          The most convenient place for participants to stay
          will  be  at  the  Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel,
          1700 Ocean Avenue, Santa  Monica,  CA  90401.  The
          only  luxury  beachfront hotel in Los Angeles, the
          Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel is located 8  miles
          north  of  Los Angeles International Airport.  The
          host of the meeting,  the  Graphic  Communications
          Association  (GCA), is having a conference, "Tech-
          Doc Winter '90," currently with the X3V1.8M  meet-
          ing; participants in the X3V1.8M meeting may enjoy
          the special GCA  conference  rate  of  $112/night,
          single/double,  plus 10% tax.  Reservations can be
          made by calling the hotel directly  at  213/  458-
          6700 and identifying yourself as a GCA registrant.
          (The GCA is waiving conference  registration  fees
          for  X3V1.8M participants so that X3V1.8M may also
          participate in the TechDoc Hypertext  Workshop  on
          Friday  morning.)  The cut-off date for accommoda-
          tions is January 28, 1990.

     Travel Arrangements - Air

          It is recommended that  you  fly  to  Los  Angeles
          International Airport (LAX), which is only 8 miles
          away from the meeting site.  GCA has negotiated  a
          special  fare with American Airlines that can save
          you 45% off regular  coach  fare  or  5%  off  the
          lowest American promotional fare.  Call American's
          tool free number, 800/433-1790 (in Texas  800/792-
          1160)  and  give  the  operator  the GCA STAR file
          number S-09Z0GV.  Also inquire about reduced rates
          on  rental  cars.   You  may  also  call  Columbia
          Travel, GCA's official agent, to make your  travel
          arrangements    at   800/822-3399   (in   Virginia
          703/243-2900).  Both will book  you  on  the  most
          direct  route with this special fare or the lowest
          fare possible.

ABOUT OUR HOST, THE GRAPHIC COMMUNICATIONS ASSOCIATION (GCA)

     The  Graphic   Communications   Association   organizes
     several  conferences  each  year intended to inform and
     serve the needs of the entire community  of  publishers
     and the systems makers who serve them.  The GCA is par-
     ticularly interested in promoting  the  development  of
     powerful  standards  for  the representation of various
     kinds of documents.  In the TechDoc '90 conference, the
     emphasis  will be on the needs of publishers of techni-
     cal documents.

     More and more technical documents are hypertexts.   The
     GCA  believes  that  the  MIPS  committee's  developing
     time-based hyperdocument standard,  "HyTime,"  an  out-
     growth  of  its  Standard  Music  Description  Language
     (SMDL) work, represents progress in the development  of
     a  standard  for  hypertext  representation.   (Indeed,
     HyTime is the only  developing  hyperdocument  standard
     that  has  become a written public document in the con-
     text of  an  ANSI  activity.)  Therefore,  the  GCA  is
     pleased  to  provide the meeting space in Santa Monica,
     and to invite X3V1.8M  participants  to  its  hypertext
     workshop at no charge.

NOTES TO NEW PARTICIPANTS/OBSERVERS:

     1.   Prospective members and observers are  welcome  at
          any  time  to participate in the current technical
          work of the committee.  (You can be most effective
          in  conveying your viewpoint if you can present it
          in the context of the current  work  --  in  other
          words,  please be familiar with X3V1.8M/SD-6, SD-7
          and SD-8.  If you don't have these,  they  can  be
          obtained  for  a  nominal  charge from the X3V1.8M
          Secretariat.) New participants are also  urged  to
          obtain  and  read  ISO  8879 (Standard Generalized
          Markup Language).  ISO 8879 is not obtainable from
          the  committee's  secretariat;  it can be obtained
          from  Graphic  Communications  Association,   1730
          North  Lynn Street, Suite 604, Arlington, Virginia
          22209-2085, for $67.50 (156 pp.).  You should also
          obtain International Standard ISO 8879:1986/Amend-
          ment 1 from the same organization.

     2.   As usual, a portion of the  second  day's  meeting
          (Thursday) has been set aside for persons who wish
          to address the committee on topics  of  their  own
          choosing, relating to the subject matter or metho-
          dology of the committee's work.

     3.   New participants are asked (but not  required)  to
          inform  Charles  Goldfarb  (c/o  Debbie Perez, IBM
          Almaden Research Center,  408/927-2577)  or  Steve
          Newcomb (Florida State University Center for Music
          Research,  Tallahassee,  FL  32306-2098,  904/644-
          5786) if they plan to attend.

DRAFT AGENDA:

     Wednesday

          Administrative matters, including: Opening, Appro-
          val  of Agenda, Attendance (including introduction
          of new participants).  Review of modularization of
          HyTime  from  SMDL.   Review  of  how SMDL applies
          HyTime. Review of SMDL, including the pitch  model
          and  chord  gamuts.  Review Disposition of Written
          Comments document from last meeting.

     Thursday

          Approval of Draft Minutes  of  the  October,  1989
          meeting,  Chairman's  Report, Related Activities &
          Liaisons.  Consideration of input on  HyTime  from
          the "Room 705 Ad Hoc Group" at the Hypertext Stan-
          dardization Workshop of the National Institute  of
          Standards  and  Technology  (NIST) (January 16-18,
          1990).  Technical work to include reviews of newly
          contributed documents.

     Friday

          (8:30 AM - noon:) Joint session with  GCA  TechDoc
          '90   Workshop  on  Hypertext  User  Requirements.
          (After noon:) technical work, especially consider-
          ing comments made during the morning session.

     Saturday

          Technical work.  Disposition of written  comments.
          Schedule of future meetings.  Adjournment.

End of Music-Research Digest