[comp.music] Request for ASCII to MIDI conversion program

grasmann@atps.dec.com (Aspirations of a higher nature) (02/23/90)

In article <5847@blake.acs.washington.edu>, ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) writes...
>In article <4345@cvl.umd.edu> arensb@cvl.umd.edu (Andrew Arensburger) writes:
>>
>>	Does anyone have a PD program that will convert ASCII text into a
>>MIDI format file? I'm writing a sequencer and would like to use some of
>>my Beatles and Pink Floyd scores as test data. I'd prefer an IBM PC exe-
>>cutable, if possible.
>>	Any and all pointers appreciated.

What do you consider ASCII text??  Something like, "G#EbC"?  What kind of
syntax are you looking for?

Steve Grasmann	grasmann@atps.dec.com

arensb@cvl.umd.edu (Andrew Arensburger) (02/23/90)

>In the original article, I wrote:
>	Does anyone have a PD program that will convert ASCII text into a
>MIDI format file?

>And grasmann@atps.dec.com (Aspirations of a higher nature) replied:
>What do you consider ASCII text??  Something like, "G#EbC"?  What kind of
>syntax are you looking for?

	Maybe I should make my meaning more clear: ASCII text, for the
purposes of this request, is any sequence of characters in the range
0-127.
	I'm writing a sequencer that takes MIDI format files as input and
plays them back. For testing purposes, I'd like to be able to create an
arbitrary MIDI file, without resorting to a binary editor.
	I'm using a vanilla PC, so ideally, I'd like to get an executable
file for that machine, although I have access to a Macintosh and several
BSD machines, so Mac executables and Unix sources would be fine, too.
	The main point of my request is that this is purely a one-shot
debugging tool, so I'm not going to spend a lot of time or effort in get-
ting it.

--
Andrew Arensburger            | K&R C!   |  "Avoid the (void)"         o\\\\\-