[comp.music] Looking for MIDI specs

mketch@pawl.rpi.edu (Michael D. Ketchen) (02/13/90)

Does anyone know where I can get the specs for the standard MIDI file format?
Preferably an FTP site?  Also, can I get the specs for interfacing with the
Mac's MIDI Manager without joining APDA?  (I'm working on a program and want
to make it as forward-compatible as possible.)  Thanks in advance.

- Mike

bradr@bartok.Sun.COM (Brad Rubenstein) (02/13/90)

In article <0Y818@rpi.edu> mketch@pawl.rpi.edu (Michael D. Ketchen) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can get the specs for the standard MIDI file
>format?

I believe the 1.0 version is available on paper for US$2.00 (check) to

International Midi Association
5316 West 57th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90056
(415) 321-MIDI

For what it's worth, I have a version labeled:

Standard MIDI Files 0.06        March 1, 1988

You can get it by sending e-mail to our automated archive server:

archive-server@bartok.sun.com (or sun!bartok!archive-server)

containing the line:

send music midi.filespec

It will be sent to you that night via return e-mail.  You don't need
InterNet access to get it.

If anyone can send me the 1.0 version, I'd be happy to make it
available.

Brad

---Brad Rubenstein-----Sun Microsystems Inc.-----bradr@sun.com---

news@geocub.greco-prog.fr (le facteur fnet) (03/19/90)

In article <10430004@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM> dag@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (David Geiser) writes:

     d>Several attempts have yielded nothing for me, not even a returned
     d>mail message.  Would someone mail it to me?
     d>
     d>dag@hp-lsd.hp.com

>   Thanks for all the replies.

Would someone mail it to me too?